Want to apply GTD: where to start? iPhone? Notebooks? Laptop?

l2obin

Registered
Hi I am on the run about 4.5/5 a week. Have things incoming all the time, and tasks to be done on the run. My workplace utilises lotus notes, and I have a laptop and an iPhone. The iphone does not effectivelly synchronise with the lotus notes calendar but it does with email. I do not have the time to open up my laptop while in between visits, so I try and use my iphone. Currently just writing things to do combination in iPhone and a book and deciding what to do on the fly. I like the idea of having a paper based organiser but am afraid that I will loose it and everything will be gone. On the iPhone, I hate the fact that I cannot sync my lotus notes to dos (company server does not support). So I am stuck somewhere in between trying to make sense of it all. Any suggestions in the best system that either integrates my laptop, iPhone into GTD or a paper/organiser based GDT solution?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
l2obin;108876 said:
Hi I am on the run about 4.5/5 a week. Have things incoming all the time, and tasks to be done on the run. My workplace utilises lotus notes, and I have a laptop and an iPhone. The iphone does not effectivelly synchronise with the lotus notes calendar but it does with email. I do not have the time to open up my laptop while in between visits, so I try and use my iphone. Currently just writing things to do combination in iPhone and a book and deciding what to do on the fly. I like the idea of having a paper based organiser but am afraid that I will loose it and everything will be gone. On the iPhone, I hate the fact that I cannot sync my lotus notes to dos (company server does not support). So I am stuck somewhere in between trying to make sense of it all. Any suggestions in the best system that either integrates my laptop, iPhone into GTD or a paper/organiser based GTD solution?

Hi there. I've been in your same shoes, with our server not supporting synching to mobile until just recently. (It requires an expensive and extensive server configuration with Notes Traveler to make it happen.) So what I did is move my personal stuff out of Lotus Notes and into Evernote and iCloud. That gives me access from anywhere to my personal data. What that doesn't give me access to my work info on the iPhone, but I find I rarely need it on my mobile. I am always close to my laptop and just pop that open to see my lists and calendar. If I do think I'll need access to those, I print the views I need (like a specific Next Actions list or daily/weekly calendar.) That's a simple compromise without fully moving to a paper planner. Don't know if that helps, but that's what worked for me.

l2obin

Registered
Thank you for the suggestion. How exactly do you apply Evernote and iCloud?

How would one work in a paper version as an alternative?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
l2obin;108879 said:
Thank you for the suggestion. How exactly do you apply Evernote and iCloud?

How would one work in a paper version as an alternative?

I use Evernote like our GTD & Evernote Setup Guide describes. I use iCloud for Calendar, Contacts, and Email, like our iPhone Guide describes.
https://secure.davidco.com/store/catalog/Setup-Guides-p-1-c-263.php

If you want to work in a paper planner, but you still use Lotus Notes for your Calendar, you'd be printing your Calendar and using paper lists. Or using electronic lists in Lotus Notes and printing them for your paper planner.

Does that make sense?

mikeh

Registered
I, too, am on the go. I rely on my iPhone and mac laptop. I almost exclusively use OmniFocus to manage my GTD system of next actions. It syncs via the cloud with my computer and phone (and iPad). I use the notetaker wallet when I need to capture on paper my thoughts or 'next actions'.

Hope this helps