Watch lists and read lists

ivanjay205

Registered
Hi all, I am looking for recommendations on watch and reading lists. Do you create a next action for each show and each episode? For the series and leave it open? A recurring next action that prompts you to look elsewhere?

Similar on read lists. I like having books queued up but what do I do with the progress of them?

mcogilvie

Registered
Hi all, I am looking for recommendations on watch and reading lists. Do you create a next action for each show and each episode? For the series and leave it open? A recurring next action that prompts you to look elsewhere?

Similar on read lists. I like having books queued up but what do I do with the progress of them?
I use the watchlists built into streaming services. I don’t care too much really. For reading, current things get moved to the top of the list. There’s no need to track progress unless there’s a deadline, e.g., for my book club. I might write current page/final page for example. Nothing fancy.

Oogiem

Registered
I am looking for recommendations on watch and reading lists.
I keep mine as notes in Obsidian. I have a note for TV aand Movie shows we might be interested in and where they are located since we have Amazon Prime, Kodi and Netflix services. For books because I have so many that are recommended, I keep a note for books I own by genre that are unread. The catalog of total books owned is in Bookedia (including kindle books) Book notes are in Obsidian linked to the bibliographic info on the book. For new book ideas I use Amazon to keep a list of books wanted on paper, books I can borrow on Kindle unlimited and books wanted on kindle.

I do not create any actions for watching things or reading uness it's part of a specific project where I have to watch or read something.

dtj

Registered
I keep my watch lists away from my GTD lists. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I found that it quickly cluttered things up, like reference notes. I use streaming service functionality, as well as index cards when I am hardcore working my way through serie(s). I'd also use Obsidian if it came down to creating a digital list.

TesTeq

Registered
Fortunately I have nothing to watch (except for Roland-Garros tennis tournament final where Iga Świątek won the title for the second time). Probably I've read too many books about recipes how to write a screenplay so I see the same patterns again and again…

My "to read" list is handled by Amazon (Kindle library).

mcogilvie

Registered
My "to read" list is handled by Amazon (Kindle library).
I think letting specialized systems handle common categories such as music and books is the way to go. Unless you’re someone like Proust, nobody else but you is going to care about your carefully curated list of best Food Channel cookie recipes. A lot of content vendors solicit opinions, but it’s motivated by marketing. That doesn’t mean their algorithm aren‘t effective. In fact, sometimes they are frighteningly good.

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
I take advantage of streaming and YouTube watch list features mostly. For leisure type watching I find this is sufficient because I can browse and choose intuitively. Keeping a list of episodes would be overkill imo.

On you tube to keep the default watch list as the main "things to watch" area and I have numerous playlists that I use to save videos for reference

For reading I have a few approaches:
1. Instapaper for web articles. I keep it empty except the new things I actually want to read; if I want to save something as reference i save it to OneNote.
2. A physical folder and tray for hard copies. I do try to keep a list of articles in Todoist, particularly those inside bound journals or magazines. That way if it have time to read I can scan it like a table of contents and pick something interesting. It also allows me to put a due date on something that is truly time sensitive for me too read
3. Books. I keep the book I'm currently reading on Top of my night stand and the books "to read" queue on the shelf beneath. Extremely sophisticated, I know...

Dave Edwards

Registered
I have a “Watch TV” list of anything I want to watch that is currently available on my TV. That includes HBO, Netflix etc. I not only have the name of the show, but I also,save a few sentences from the review/recommendation so that I remember why I was interested in the show. This list is in Evernote.

I also have a “Movie” list in Evernote. This is where I keep a list of current and soon to be be released films we will need to,see at a theater. I also include a description.

Similarly there is a “To Be Read” for books I want to eventually read.

Dave

OliverG

Registered
I think David at one point suggests that a 'read next' list could just be a shelf with physical book in it. So a List dose not need to be a "list".
I might add: Or the list of books in your eReader.
I my vase it is the Amazon Wishlist for books to buy and sadly the first row of almost all my shelves are a list of unread books. But I have an extra shelf for 'really wanna read'. And a shelf for "books I will never read and will get rid of via Momox or open bookshelf or the like".
Also watchlists in streaming services can serve a similar purpose.
For others I have monthly triggers to remind me 0of a show or movie and if I check it off It just moves one month to the futrure. More of a tickler thing: Remind me of ...
This, as you mention could also be a 'check your list of things to watch' recurring task, linking to a note in google drive or notes or wherever.

There is a powerful question you can ask yourself here: "How do you want to be reminded." And then put it excactly THERE ;)

gtdstudente

Registered
If you email all the stuff to yourself that you wanna read and watch: fine ;)
Yes, since Digital 'READ(s)' and 'WATCH(es)' are in the same online-medium as email so why not says the "Tin-Man" especially since the TV is long-gone . . . currently reading book are on the book-shelf with with all books placed differently to differentiate currently reading book from the rest of the books which be deemed as "'Reference' books"

Last edited: