Webinar topics

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hello GTD Connect Members,

We've done over 50 webinars over the last few years. I thought it would be a good time to check in with you all on what you'd like us to cover in upcoming webinars.
  • Technical ones seem to be a hit, but will only appeal to those using that tool. But which technical ones would you want to see? I'd like to do an OmniFocus one, once I write some new QuickStart instructions.
  • I'm planning on offering the 14-Day GTD Challenge every quarter--is that too often?
  • How do open Q&A's appeal to you with David and the Coaches?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Kelly

vbampton

Administrator
OmniFocus would be great. I've just started reading Kourosh Dini's book again, to try to pick up some extra high level hints.

How about routines and checklists? I'm thinking following on from the power of habit...

What about tickler files - and different ways of creating them (i.e. paper is obvious, but options for digital versions)

The black belt webinars are still my favourites. I don't know how many times I've watched those now.

Barb

Registered
Two cents

kelstarrising;98056 said:
Hello GTD Connect Members,

We've done over 50 webinars over the last few years. I thought it would be a good time to check in with you all on what you'd like us to cover in upcoming webinars.
  • Technical ones seem to be a hit, but will only appeal to those using that tool. But which technical ones would you want to see? I'd like to do an OmniFocus one, once I write some new QuickStart instructions.
  • I'm planning on offering the 14-Day GTD Challenge every quarter--is that too often?
  • How do open Q&A's appeal to you with David and the Coaches?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Kelly

Kelly,
First, I'd like to thank you and the Connect Team for working so hard to add value to our Connect memberships! The webinars are wonderful--I've taken away something from just about all of them.

I'd like to see an Omnifocus webinar and I hope you'll include OF for the iPad and the iPhone. (I don't have a Mac, yet Omnifocus on the iPad/iphone works wonderfully for me).

The Q&As are good--certainly doesn't always have to be David.

How about a webinar of just "tricks and best practices"? Maybe members can send in their best trick, coaches could be polled and those could be presented.

Also, maybe at the end of our Book Club Read of the "Habit" book, there's a webinar around using GTD and checklists to develop a habit.

I'm sure you'll get lots of great input from our wonderful members. Again, thanks for all you do...thanks to the entire team!

PatinSC

Registered
While you are thinking about technical webinars, please don't forget those of us who do not use all things Apple! For example, I have a windows PC and Android phone and tablet. I can't suggest a tool for you to do a webinar on, as I am on the prowl again for a new one, since my previous favorite, Springpad, has gone all social-media on me.

I think quarterly is the right schedule for the 14-day challenges.

Pat

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Thanks for the great feedback. This really helps.

We do need to keep the technical ones to the tools that are vetted for GTD by David Allen. So for something like Android, we won't be able to do a webinar focusing specifically on that device and what software to use, since we haven't vetted anything for Android. That's why we try to do the more generic ones like "Choosing Tools for your GTD System" to arm you with what to know and look for.

We've never done one on anything Mac. I am excited to offer an OmniFocus one to members at some point, knowing how many of you are using that tool.

enyonam

Registered
This is why I love being a GTD Connect member!

First of all, thanks for asking.

A few ideas I could think of are:

- A technical one on Lotus Notes / eProductivity with specific list examples
- A technical one on using smartphones
- I agree with one following "The Power of Habit" book club and specifically how to use GTD to implement new habits
- How to integrate social media and funnel it into your system (capture tools, inbox(es), lists, etc.)
- daily routines / daily rhythm / daily habits - the daily grind was a great webinar but thought it would be great to expand it with practical guide/tips/tricks on using the calendar, checklists, context lists, daily reviews (which some folk seem to use), etc.

vbampton

Administrator
I have to agree Barb - the webinars are the main reason I paid for the Connect membership (although I love the forum now too!!) - worth their weight in gold. You do a great job Kelly, thanks.

Enyo, yes, love the ways of integrating social media. That could include tools, routines, etc. There was a conversation on that, I seem to remember.

CJSullivan

Registered
Another vote for checklists!

Webinars are GREAT, GREAT, GREAT - and I second the request for something on checklists. I think David mentioned that they're best created out of a "fail" in the system (not his words) - a sort of "once bitten, twice shy" thing whereby we say to ourselves "I'm not going to FedEx Office again without a thumb drive!" or "I'm not going on a trip again without packing XYZ..."

I'd like to see an actual step-by-step process for creating a working checklist:
capturing the "fail,"
clarifying what needs to be included in the checklist to prevent that fail in the future,
organising the steps of the checklist

and, swtiching the order of the last two:
engaging with the checklist
reflecting on whether it is a complete, supportive, successful checklist!!!!

Barb

Registered
Here's an idea for creating on the webinar

CJSullivan;98154 said:
Webinars are GREAT, GREAT, GREAT - and I second the request for something on checklists. I think David mentioned that they're best created out of a "fail" in the system (not his words) - a sort of "once bitten, twice shy" thing whereby we say to ourselves "I'm not going to FedEx Office again without a thumb drive!" or "I'm not going on a trip again without packing XYZ..."

I'd like to see an actual step-by-step process for creating a working checklist:
capturing the "fail,"
clarifying what needs to be included in the checklist to prevent that fail in the future,
organising the steps of the checklist

and, swtiching the order of the last two:
engaging with the checklist
reflecting on whether it is a complete, supportive, successful checklist!!!!

Kelly,
Everyone ought to have an "Emergency Grab" Checklist/or "Emergency Preparedness" Checklist. Our recent tornadoes in Dallas brought to light some things to add to mine--who would have thought of a helmet or big pot to put over our heads? (something new I picked up on a tv interview with a woman new to our area).

Maybe you could use that as a working example and then everyone will at least have a good start by the time you finish the webinar.

Mardo

Registered
webinar topics

I think the 14 day challenge every quarter is terrific. Thats about when I need a nudge again.
Omnifocus webinar would be great

Thanks,
Kelly[/QUOTE]

DenaDahilig

Registered
synchronicity

Barb;98158 said:
Everyone ought to have an "Emergency Grab" Checklist/or "Emergency Preparedness" Checklist.

Your timing is right on the money. I spent an hour or so last night going over my shopping list for emergencies. It's only taken me since the last decade to do it, but here I go! I decided to not only have the supplies, but to have small binders with procedures stashed in strategic locations (bedrooms, kitchen, cars, garage).

I might have to clear out a corner of the garage for everything they recommend, though! In spite of that, I think it's a great idea for each person to have their own bag of stuff - including a bag for each of your pets (each one individually, in case they need to go to separate places, they'll have everything they need).

Good call, Barb!

Dena