Weekly Review Challenge (August 2014)

SiobhanBR

Registered
So today's weekly review was very quick because I've sort of been doing a constant review all week. I zipped quickly through my NA and project lists just tweaking here or there and noting things on my shortlist to get done today. As usual, it is rather long but I have no scheduled meetings and am hoping to get most of them checked off.

I took the GTD-Q yesterday while at the hair salon and it came up as Implementer/Micromanager, which makes sense right now. I've been spending the past two weeks trying to catch up on all the little things after being away on vacation and covering for everyone else who is away on vacation. My big important projects are getting pushed aside - so I can keep an eye on that in the upcoming week and make sure I get to some important tasks.

FrDavid

Registered
WR #2 I felt like I had to rush through since the start of school is an especially busy time. All is well and I am enjoying the fact that I am carving out time on the calendar for "defining my work" each day.

Hrlakat

Registered
Greetings from offshore Africa - connectivity is much better than last time I traveled.

Weekly review #4 done! I put a bunch of projects on hold for the next few weeks, which felt good. Now I can more clearly see what I can actually work on from where I am.

I also started working on setting up a system for work in Outlook - moved the bulk of unread emails into a backlog folder, used the 2-minute rule to clean up a bunch still in the inbox, and cleaned up the outstanding task items from the last time I tried to implement an outlook system. Still have more work to do on the inbox, but I have a few weeks to see what I can do.

Personal system is humming along - I love love love OmniFocus!

ArcCaster

Registered
did a weekly in conjunction with a black belt podcast "your attention" from 2010. My best mind sweep ever -- trouble is, it is 50 items, and now I have to process them :)

mommoe436

Registered
Completed WR #3 on saturday - rainy saturday helped to get this done. I also got some small items off my list and moved a few projects to Hold. I have much on my list but feel better knowing all that I have - need to delegate some items to get me through the next month.

Jenn

Registered
WR # 2 for August (# 28 of 2014)

I actually completed this review on Friday afternoon while at work so since I did, I wasn't online for the rest of the weekend and am just posting now.

What worked - I carried out the review over the course of the day since I wasn't able to find a solid time slot to fit it in. I simply kept my Weekly Review checklist out and went through the steps as I could get to them. In the end, it was quite successful.

What didn't work - my Project list review was thrown off by my system showing me quite a strange view of projects/sub-projects. I added a task to read up on how the GTDOA presents projects since it almost seemed to be making some up!

hikerpa

Registered
August WR#3

Completed my weekly review this afternoon. Focused on getting new projects on moving forward and making sure the rest of my projects were clearly defined. My project list keeps getting longer but as I continue to do the weekly reviews I seem to have a much better handle on all of them.

FrDavid

Registered
WR # 3--Since this is the start of a new school year, things are stacking up pretty quickly. I felt the need to do another full review before next week. I feel like I'm back in the driver's seat now!

I've also noticed that I tend to run out of steam before I get to the "Get Creative" stage. I pushed myself to really dig into that section and felt really good afterwards--I came up with some really cool ideas once the decks were cleared!

Oogiem

Registered
WR # 4 as done as it's going to get, which isn't very.

Yeah I know bad syntax but I'm sure you will all understand.

Skipped reviewing everything on hold, skipped entire areas of focus that are just in limbo right now. Skipped most of the stuff due to start unless it was in the next few weeks.

Only thing that got detailed review is the current critical stuff in the sheep, chicken and LambTracker AOFs. Also a much more detailed calendar planning with my husband, that resulted in us moving up our monthly trip to the city to buy dog food 2 weeks early. We've got several sequential sets of guests coming for a visit and needed to not have to worry about whether we'd run out of dog food before we could get down to pick it up.

Bear activity has ramped up another notch, finding bear scat in the driveway nearly every day and the dogs are barking all night long.

SiobhanBR

Registered
Weekly review postponed - will try to do on the weekend.

I think this is an example of "work as it appears" and recognizing one's priorities: We went to drop off our son at daycare and the house was dark/no answer. Since I'm sure it would be looked down on (by pretty much everyone!) to just leave my 4 year old in the yard to play until she woke up, my morning schedule was completely rearranged and involved driving back and forth across the city instead of doing my weekly review. But it's the long weekend, so I'll take some quiet time to do it over the next few days.

Good luck with the bears Oogie!

Barb

Registered
I love reading everyone's posts! Bears, oh MY! And in Texas we freak out over mosquitoes!

I did a fairly complete review this morning. It isn't my usual day (that's Sunday) but I have been trying to get a good review done since last Sunday! I have gotten pretty behind in all areas of my life and I'm finding it difficult to just...breathe. But I've been around GTD long enough to know I have the tools I need to get back to a more relaxed focus. More about that later.

For those of you enjoying a holiday weekend here in the U.S.--have a great one!

Jenn

Registered
WR # 3 for August (# 29 of 2014) I was able to get another review done on Friday while at work. I did it while walking some of my co-workers through their first weekly review. I can only hope that they get as much out of the practice as I do. The best part about doing the review before the long weekend was knowing what I would not be doing! Oogiem....thought of you this last week when I had to stop on the road to let a big black bear mosy across the road! I was very happy to be inside my car and not defending sheep like you are! Jenn

Oogiem

Registered
WR # 5
I'm going to count this one in August as I finished it on Sunday. Still juggling massive sheep shipments from New Hampshire, New York and Maryland with drop offs in Missouri, here in Colorado and maybe in Ohio and in Minnesota, not sure yet on the last 2 states. Coordinating vets, health certificates, payments etc is always such "fun".

Bears still active and getting more so. As the fruit is coming off the trees other critters look like they are on the menu. We now have 2 mountain lions within 1/4 miles of us who have been seen by multiple people even at midday. Both are toms and that means they are moving out looking for territory and hunting as they go. The big cats can clear our 8 ft high fence in one leap with a dead sheep so our dogs have been even more active.

Sadly that resulted in the death of our housecat. To the dogs, especially now, anything that is not a sheep in their pasture is fair game and one of the dogs caught and killed the cat. My only small consolation is that it appears it was very quick. Rest in peace, Agent Orange you were a very good cat. He was an old cat, we'd had him 11 years and he arrived as a feral cat fully grown and of unknown age. This is the first time in over 40 years that this farm has not had a resident cat. It's the first time in over 24 years that I have not had a cat in my life. The times I did not have a cat were limited by housing not my desires. I am sure that sometime soon there will be a project or 2 related to a new feline. Might be "Tame the new cat" if a feral shows up. Or "Train a kitten" if one attaches itself to me or something. I am not sure what or when but I am sure that another cat will come into our lives when the right cat finds us. This also reminded me that on the someday/maybe list from years ago was the project, own and show a purebred Somali cat. Now I am not sure I can or want to do the work required for a show cat (even in Household Pet classes) but I still love Somali cats so maybe one or one that looks similar will arrive and announce that he or she lives here now.

Other projects also on hold but the chicken project will finish this week as we pick up and deliver the last of the meat chickens for the year.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Congratulations to Hrlakat, our August (and august) winner of the Weekly Review challenge. The prize is the GTD with Work-Life Balance CD set. Hrlakat, I'll email you to confirm that shipping address.