Weekly Review Challenge (October 2014)

MikeP

Registered
WR #2

Another hectic week last week pushed this Weekly Review to Sunday / Monday. Sunday I cracked my work laptop open and went through my email and calendar review but more pressing matters (family time and bad movies) pushed the list review off to Monday.

I just went through my lists during lunch and cleaned them up a bit. There are several dusty old projects that need one more thing done that won't get completed this week. Usually the last item is to write up a checklist of what to do or how to audit my work. At this point some of them are so old that I might as well move them to the current year projects they will apply to and move them to Someday Maybe - Monthly so I don't have to look at them until I'm ready to activate them. in fact, I just did that for two of them!

Mike

mommoe436

Registered
WR #2 October completed over the weekend. I continue to make this time focused on my Project list and making sure my NAs are clear. I find I can look at other WR items throughout the week and not need a lot of focused time for that....this seems to be working for me. After 10/15 deadlines are complete, will ramp up year end work.

Oogiem

Registered
WR # 2 Finished Yesterday.

After spending most of the last review fleshing out the projects that a bunch of my "last action to finish" items really were, this review was spent mostly deciding that a whole bunch of these new projects are too big to get done in the next 2 months!

I'm in the throes of trying to write and practice my speach for the Livestock Conservancy Annual meeting. I'll be going down to Austin, TX and will be talking about records for rare breeds and my LambTracker program. This will be biggest public event I've ever spoken at! So I'm reviewing all my notes on making good presentations, trying to plan it all out and looking for appropriate pictures to illustrate the issues I want to bring up. I have toprovide my handouts and presentation to the organizers by the end of this month.

The other big set of stuff is that our weather is changing fast, we've had frosts already and everyone expects an early and hard winter. So we're scrambling to do the fall "get the farm ready for winter" projects done. A lot of them have been delayed due to the rainy summer we had, things like cleaning out the sheep corrals that are normally done by the end of August haven't even really gotten started because it's so wet. My husband had to build a new attachment for the tractor that can handle picking up the heavy wet manure pack first before he could even start on the cleaning and that's taken a while. Then the first one broke while he was cleaning the first corral so he had to rebuild it stronger. Now we have sheep in those corrals in quarantine so they can't be cleaned.

My set of get the farm ready for winter tasks include pulling down and repairing all the electric nets we use to separate pastures and I can't do that work in the rain so I've been on hold as well. Now that it's sunny we have to catch up on the sheep evaluations that are normally done in early September and get all the blood samples drawn. You can't take blood from a wet sheep and it's a 3-4 person task so I have to schedule extra help and hope the weather cooperates. So far it's been hit or miss, mostly miss. Add to that programming the LambTracker enhancements I need to capture the evaluation data and produce the required reports and it's been very busy. We've got slots for 30 more sheep to send to slaughter but I am not sure who I need to send until I get the evaluations done! Next slaughter date is next Thursday so I really need to get it all working by then and the sheep evaluated.

One thing Omnifocus does not handle well are these sorts of contingent projects. I don't want to put them all as subprojects within one big massive one because then I get overwhelmed when I see the same project on the list with tasks for months on end. Yet while in many cases many of the actions can be done in parallel now we are getting to a time when at least some actions are dependent on some other project being finished first.

For example, I need to move the newly arrived rams into pastures with our ram lambs so we can clean the quarantine pens. But I can't add them to our sheep until they pass their blood work. I can't draw blood until I have dry sheep early in the week so I can ship it to the lab via fedex and have it arrive in time to run the test that week. So for weeks now the projects get delayed!

No real solution, it's all dependent on weather at this point.

Ah well, it's clear and sunny this am and has finally warmed up enough for me to be able to go measure ram scrotal circumference (my hands freeze doing it when it's too cold out, uncomfortable for me and the rams involved) so I guess I need to finish posting and get out and get ram evaluations done.

CJSullivan

Registered
I would be willing to bet that there are only a select few whose next action lists contain "Measure ram scrotal circumference." I love the varied and interesting lives we Connect members live!

Jenn

Registered
WR # 2 for October (# 35 of 2014)

This review was later than planned since I have been on a business trip through the weekend. I really needed to fit a quick one in though for the sense of control it gives. Now I can manage the next few days and then do a more thorough review when I return home.

Oogiem

Registered
CJSullivan said:
I would be willing to bet that there are only a select few whose next action lists contain "Measure ram scrotal circumference." I love the varied and interesting lives we Connect members live!
Right now nearly everyone I know is measuring ram equipment and checking ewe tits. It's all part of verifying everything is good to go for breeding season for shepherds in the northern hemisphere. But it does make for some interesting conversation at the brewery, esp. when I'm one of only 2-3 women in there when someone asks hubby and me what we've been working on.

CJSullivan

Registered
WR #2 for October

I had a nagging feeling I was skimming through my weekly review in OF2. So I decided to "dump" everything out of OF2 (it's still in there) and onto paper - like a huge Mind Dump. This is a standard pattern for me. Love paper system > do fine with paper system > get seduced by the idea that a fully digital-based system can work for me > soon become disillusioned > return to paper! I understand all the reasons people love their digital systems, really I do. Please know that I'm not interested in "winning anyone over," just sharing my experience! SO... after I got everything "out" of OF, I realised a few things. One is that I really love the "Reminders" app on the iPhone. So I'm using that for my checklists (AM, PM, weekdays, etc.) and that's working out wonderfully. It keeps recurring actions out of my calendar and pops them up just when/where I need them. Magic! The other is that the digital interface is fairly "mindless" for me (i.e. quick, effortless) and that's the problem. I can count on "Reminders" to let me be mindless. But I'm just not attracted enough to the OF interface to want to check my lists, and I'm not that interested in tweaking it to the point where it pops everything up just as I need to see it. (Although I'm sure it's capable of some pretty neat tricks.) Perhaps most importantly, I missed my lovely paper diary and lists. That ever-important emotional component! So I took my massive "52 pick-up" mind dump and re-thought every single item. Projects, actions, oldy, mouldy... I really questioned each item. I asked the following questions:
  • Do I want to commit to this (project) right now?
  • If not, do I want to commit to it ever?
  • Is this a repeatable task? Should it be part of a checklist?
  • Is the next visible, doable next action?
  • If it is, am I attracted to it or repelled by it?
It's not often I really dig in and ask those questions of EVERY SINGLE ITEM in my system. It took many hours over a few days, and I'm actually going to wrap it all up this weekend by putting everything onto its appropriate list. I already love the idea of flipping through my personal-sized leather planner again (which I chose because it's portable enough so that I don't feel encumbered, but still gives me plenty of room) and interacting with my lists again. Does this mean I will never again go the way of the digital warrior? Unlikely. ;)

FrDavid

Registered
WR #2 (Oct 2014)

Review number two completed. I marked a few of those projects off that only had one more action step left. That felt good.

I'm still not using contexts fully--I need to work on that more as I have never really incorporated that fully into my system.

S-Tolland

Registered
WR #2 for Oct

CJSullivan said:
  • Do I want to commit to this (project) right now?
  • If not, do I want to commit to it ever?
  • Is this a repeatable task? Should it be part of a checklist?
  • Is the next visible, doable next action?
  • If it is, am I attracted to it or repelled by it?

Great set of questions! I'll definitely be using these on some of my home items which have really taken a back seat over the past 9 months. With my priorities changing it will be good to be really objective and strict about what I should be committing to at home.

Job-wise, my WR went nice and smoothly this week. Done on the right day (Thurs for me) and all bases covered - it felt great to really get clear and current. Consequently (and I love it when this happens) I had a great day today and got loads of stuff done. It's so satisfying to have done all the thinking at the front end and be able to just churn through the actions, and cross them off!

Jenn

Registered
WR # 3 for October (# 36 of 2014)

I was on a long haul flight back from my business trip today so I took the opportunity to do my weekly review. Despite having done a review just 3 days earlier, my In Box was overloaded and I had minutes from all of the meetings I had been in to process. It took quite a bit of the flight, especially with having to put the laptop away when they served the meals!

I've started doing my project review more consistently, ensuring each project has a next action. However I have a LOT of next actions without projects. It's not that they don't have projects but I didn't make the connection when I created the task. I know I won't fix it all at once though so I'm trying to ensure I link to the project for each new next action I create.

I read in another post about using Someday/Maybe more and only keeping the actions you will really work on next on your active lists. I hesitate to do this since Someday/Maybe is more for things I haven't decided I will do but don't want to forget about. Does anyone have a list in between that helps with this? Perhaps "Next"?

S-Tolland

Registered
Jenn said:

I read in another post about using Someday/Maybe more and only keeping the actions you will really work on next on your active lists. I hesitate to do this since Someday/Maybe is more for things I haven't decided I will do but don't want to forget about. Does anyone have a list in between that helps with this? Perhaps "Next"?

I think some people use a Someday Soon list, splitting their Someday/Maybe list into those tasks that they are committed to but don't have the bandwidth for, and keeping separate those that are more a "maybe"and have no commitment made. I've done this in the past and found that it eases the overwhelm on the Someday/Maybe list as I can schedule looking at the "maybe" far less frequently, making the "soon" part more friendly and manageable.

CJSullivan

Registered
WR #2 for October - continued...!
Well, I'm in the process of populating my paper lists with my newly "scrubbed" projects and actions, and I came up with something that I think is really going to help focus future reviews. For each project I've also written a simple purpose statement. For example, "Project: Create marketing strategy & materials for component tables / Purpose=develop new revenue stream." I find just a few words does the trick to remind me why I'm doing this, and - instead of just giving it an Areas of Focus, as I've done in the past - it gives me a good sense of how my projects are balancing out. I remember in some songwriting classes I took they suggested trying to boil down the essence of your song into three lines of three words each. This is that kind of thing - just helping keep me in touch with the essence of what I'm doing. It's thinking that really needs to happen anyway, so I don't see it as being "extra" to my process...

Will let you know how it works! I'm hoping WR #3 will be less protracted than #2! :)

SiobhanBR

Registered
WR #2

I did this last Friday (the week before I was on vacation out of town - yay!). Still struggling to keep my head above water - feeling more and more like a mermaid these days, living in an underwater city. :)

But seriously, without my GTD lists I would be so very, very lost. My problem is that I keep adding to the lists - I tried taking work home this weekend but my VPN login didn't work so now I have a project to "Fix VPN" with a next action of "Call Help Desk". But first some actual work to start the day off right...

My home review needs some polishing up too. One thing, though I did manage to actually empty - yes, to zero! - my paper inbox at home. That felt so good. Funny how I can keep it clear at work and I'm good with email at both home and work but paper at home seems harder. I am also discovering the crazy paper-maker that school is, with my son now in Kindergarten. Will definitely need to implement some new systems around school papers.

MikeP

Registered
Jenn said:

I went as far as to segregate my Someday/Maybe list into buckets based on the frequency with which I review them:
  • SMB.Weekly
  • SMB.Monthly
  • SMB.Quarterly
  • SMB.Annually
  • SMB.Thinking About
This lets me move items I'm committed to but don't have the bandwidth for off my of main projects / actions list so it's not so overwhelming but still know that I'll see them at the right time.

Mike

Oogiem

Registered
WR # 3 done. Knocking off several projects with single actions remaining. Dropped some as well.

Good weather so been flat out working on farm stuff, almost caught up.

But not quite so this is really short

ArcCaster

Registered
Jenn said:
Hi Jenn,

I have a 'Not Now' context -- I put action items there that I really want to do, but I just can't get to them in the next few weeks, and I don't want them cluttering up my next actions list.

SiobhanBR

Registered
WR #3

So I did most of my review as usual at work first thing this morning with my door closed. But just as I got going by emptying my briefcase of papers I found two things that had slipped. I suppose I should thank GTD that this annoys me so much because it "never" happens anymore! My library book was due yesterday and I had a bill I hadn't paid that was due 10 days ago. I promptly went online and renewed the book (40 cent fine!) and paid the bill (will likely have a fine there too). The extra annoying part is that I didn't even finish reading the stupid book because I didn't like it.

However, it made me realize that I've been skipping parts of my weekly review due to the insane-ness of my life right now. I then decided to take myself and some important work home to work there today to keep my coughing and hacking to myself. My neighbour thanked me on the way out. Priority this weekend: rest and sleep!

I do have to say that working from home is a pleasure. I've got music playing, my favourite tea brewed and am lounging comfortably knocking off item after item on my long list.

I still need to go through my project lists and identify which ones I'm really going to get to this year. Maybe next week...

CJSullivan

Registered
SiobhanBR said:
WR #3
I do have to say that working from home is a pleasure. I've got music playing, my favourite tea brewed and am lounging comfortably knocking off item after item on my long list...

Siobhan, I agree. I have just gotten permission from my day job to work at home every Wednesday. This week was the first week and it was HEAVEN. Not only was I comfy, with all my home comforts to hand, but I was able to do laundry and get more of my "own" work done, as I was saving 2-3 hours commute time. No interruptions (unless you count my cat), and no one's speaker phone conversation blaring from nearby offices. Truly wonderful.

FrDavid

Registered
WR #3 (Oct 2014)

This was a pretty hurried review--but any review is better than no review at all!

I was able to cross off a few more projects that only had one final action item left--that felt good. I've also noticed that some of my projects are actually multiple projects that I have pushed together. When I broke them out, I immediately felt better! :)

CJSullivan

Registered
WR #3
Good, quick review this morning. Weekends are often rather unfocused for me, after the structure of the week. There's really SO MUCH I "could
do, and I'm often not very good at picking, and I get to the end of the weekend feeling I could have gotten more done. But I'm already noticing that, with the reviews and system-tweaking I've done this month, I'm feeling much more able to stay in the moment and just check my lists and decide what I'm motivated to do. Instead of trying to plan the weekend in my head, which I just realised is a large part of why I feel like I can't choose what to do, I hear myself saying "It's OK that I haven't planned out every minute of the weekend. I can just check my lists... And if what I have planned so far changes, that's OK!

Unpeeling more layers of the GTD onion...!