Weekly Review Email

apinaud

Registered
This came in my email this week
Have you created or lately updated your own custom Weekly Review checklist? There are invariably some things that you would find useful to be reminded of at the end of every week, unique to your job and life. What are things that you need to check on periodically? For example:

- Computer files to back up
- Personal habits to reinforce
- People you want to engage with more or differently
- Data to review
- Maintenance for your tools, toys, and transportation
- ?????

I got curious how people specific Weekly Review List looks like.

apinaud

Registered
Well since there was not reply, but I continue interested in the topic, let me post an image of my WR list.

I have my WR in a Category in Outlook, the first one is DavidCo Review,
1. Loose papers.
2. Process your notes.
3. Empty your Head.
4. Review Action Lists
5. Review Waiting Fors...
6. Review Project (and Large Outcome) Lists
7. Review Previous Calendar Data
8. Review Upcomming Calendar
9. Review Any Relevant List
10. Review "someday" and "maybe" lists.
11. Be creative and courageous.

You can see for every step I have one or more list ready to be checked while I am doing my WR. The only thing I keep separate is my Someday Maybe, that it is a different Memos Category, and at the time of this writing 15 different sections.

I hope people share how they use their WR lists

Attached files

toremor

Registered
apinaud said:
Well since there was not reply, but I continue interested in the topic, let me post an image of my WR list.

I have my WR in a Category in Outlook, the first one is DavidCo Review,
1. Loose papers.
2. Process your notes.
3. Empty your Head.
4. Review Action Lists
5. Review Waiting Fors...
6. Review Project (and Large Outcome) Lists
7. Review Previous Calendar Data
8. Review Upcomming Calendar
9. Review Any Relevant List
10. Review "someday" and "maybe" lists.
11. Be creative and courageous.

Hi!

Your list looks a lot like mine, but I have a few comments.

I'm trying to process my inboxes every day. Until 3-4 weeks ago I used to have a "empty all inboxes" at the start of mye WR, but that would sometimes take too much time, so I'm trying to do that every day now.

On the top of my WR list is

1 - Review all project email-folders and ensure that every mail that needs a reply or action har it's place on one of the action lists.

I sometimes just slip emails into their folders without adding any action. Not a good habit, I know..

Number 4-10 is pretty much he same as I have. I have one at the end of my list, probably something like your number 3, saying "do a ram dump at least every four weeks". To do these I have a list reminding me of areas I should look into, like ensurance, the house, the other buildings, cars, hobbies etc. This sometimes takes a very long time so doing this earliner in the WR would probably end up with a lot of the other things not being done.

Then I have a listitem saying

- Scan/correct the lists : "books I wan't to read" and "music I should check out".

The next listitem is:

- Read all memos in "GTD/routines"

I use a Palm and have a memo-category with some quotes from the GTD-book or other places related. These are quotes to remind me of stuff that I previously have been struggling with. As an example I have a paragraph from chapter 6 on what a next action should look like (..many people think they've determined the "next action" when they get it down to "set meeting"... and so on). There's one note with a question mark as the title. That's where I enter areas where I probably should improve my GTD-work. Currently this has one quiestion : "do I need more contexts? and how do I identify one.."

My last listitem says "Backup Palm".

Well, that's what I do at my weekly reviews, at least most of them :)

apinaud

Registered
toremor said:
I'm trying to process my inboxes every day.

I do my best to get to zero every 24 hours. But there is always a last note and a last email, for that reason I make sure I get clean before start.

I agree, if you wait all week to clean the WR it is a overwhelming process. Even when I am in the road, I try to clean my collection in the Hotel at night, so when Friday comes and I am ready for WR, I am as clean as possible...

apinaud

Registered
pixlz said:
Hi apinaud

What are the zones in your list?

Thanks
Pixlz

My Zones list is my clean list at home. I discover that if I have in my list Clean Kitchen (since that it is not a NA) I procrastinate about it, so I divede my house in 5 Zones and add one per week to my NAs.

The Zones Definition is as follow

ZONES
Zone 1:Front Entrance & Dining Room
First few days until the first Sunday
Zone 2: Kitchen & Patio
First full week of each month
Zone 3: Bathroom & Office
Second full week of each month
Zone 4: Master Bedroom
Third full week of each month
Zone 5: Living room
Last few days of month until the 1st

And here is an example of one of my lists (Zones):

ZONE2

KITCHEN DETAIL CLEANING
1. Empty refg/clean totally
2. Clean microwave in & out
3. Clean stove/oven
4. Straighten drawers/ cupboards
5. Wipe fingerprints off walls
6. Wash inside windows
7. Scrub down cabinet fronts
8. Clean light diffusing bowls
9. Clean drip pan under refg.
10. Clean under sink

PATIO DETAIL CLEANING
1. Sweep Patio
2. Check grill gas/clean
3. Clean off picnic table & chairs

I hope this answer your question.

Micah Jackson

Registered
apinaud said:
My Zones list is my clean list at home. I discover that if I have in my list Clean Kitchen (since that it is not a NA) I procrastinate about it, so I divede my house in 5 Zones and add one per week to my NAs.

Ah, the FlyLady system (www.flylady.net) She's been keeping me on track for a while now. She's absolutely worth integrating with GTD. In fact, if David Allen and the FlyLady had a kid, he or she could rule the world.

Seriously, if you are a GTDer who cleans up after him or herself, you owe it to yourself to think about FlyLady (just watch out for signing up for the Emails, you'll get a lot).