Weekly Review

gtdstudente

Registered
Does GTD 'define' what Weekly Review success looks like?

If so, how does GTD 'define' Weekly Review success?

Last edited:

cfoley

Registered
That's very strange. I've followed this methodology that advocates so strongly for outcome focussing, but I have never thought about what wild success for a weekly review looks like.

Here are some things that I have noticed.

Immediately after a weekly review, I seem to be supercharged. If I do it in the morning, then the afternoon is a whirlwind of productivity and checking off tasks.

My favourite side effect of a weekly review is a peace that allows me to be present with whoever I am with, or doing whatever I am doing without the nagging feeling that there is something else that I should be doing. I find this particularly valuable with my relationships with other people.

dragonthief

Registered
I confess that I have struggled with GTD over the years. I totally get the principles and the whole process -as a theoretical process - is clear in my mind. What I have struggled with is systems of implementation. I have so many inboxes (PostIts, notebooks, various online platforms and tools, each perfectly suited to their particular context) that I was completely overwhelmed.

Since then, I have discovered minimalist Bullet Journaling, (not the fancy stuff, since I can't draw unicorns or fairies). I use the "BuJo" as a physical lens, (essentials are the Index, the Future Log, the Monthly Planner spread, a Tasks/Goals dump spread, and the daily planner. I use the utterly awesome Alastair Method) that forces me to review my information and priorities in the physical act of updating the BuJo and checking against a list of inboxes. I have learned to enjoy the time it takes rather than resent it. It is methodical and strangely meditative, since at every point I am also revising priorities and shifting stuff around, renewing my perspective. Think of it as that bit of a rope-making machine where all the strands get twisted together.

I then review every day, week, and month. Each completed review leaves me with the feelings described above: a calm and relaxed sense that I am on top of everything, ahead of the game, and will not suffer any surprises.

In my opinion, BuJo and GTD were made for each other.

mcogilvie

Registered
Like a lot of routines once they are established, I suppose the feeling afterwards ranges somewhere around “ok, done” to “glad I was able to do that now”. It’s definitely not the same as finishing a project. However, at a conscious level, I think more in terms of values than feelings.

chrisstribbs

Registered
I was in a productive flow on Wednesday and it felt good to do my weekly review then. I remain rubbish at the projects part however, perhaps it's because I am waiting for other stakeholder input to define it ....

FocusGuy

Registered
When arrive Wednesday I often do a very fast weekly review (I do the secont one on friday) I adjust my weekly goals and clean my system. I dont know if it is very GTD I just feel that it needs to be done. what’s about you ?

Last edited:

gtdstudente

Registered
When arrive Wednesday I often do a very fast weekly review (I do the secont one on friday) I adjust my weekly goals and clean my system. I dont know if it is very GTD I just feel that it needs to be done. what’s about you ?
FocusGuy,

We GTDer's do what ever it takes to get our concerns off of our mind for "mind like water" . . . good GTD job . . . very GTD nice