What @actions do you use?

Tspall

Registered
ko said:
Regarding your list, I am curious about a few categories. Does @Desk denote activities that are different than @Phone, @Computer, etc.? What kinds of things do you have in your @Mail category?

I can understand the confusion...please let me explain.

I'm a middle school teacher, so @Desk are the items I can accomplish at my desk at home. This would include things like grading papers, etc. This could also be done at my desk at school. They're things I don't need computer access to accomplish. @Mail are things I need to put in the mail and send off. Bills, conference responses, cards to family, etc. all falls into this category. @Computer are things I need to accomplish on the computer, such as writing worksheets/tests, etc. These can also be done either at home or school.

In the past, before GTD, I've tried using "school" as a category but it ends up being such a big list that I ended up losing things between the cracks.

What I usually do is ever couple of weeks, I re-evaluate my categories. If I see there are ones I'm not using, I just get rid of them. The few items in those categories get reassigned to other (and better) choices. I've already reconsidered the @Blog category. To my way of thinking, it's more of a list. (But, that's just what works for me.)

mlsphd

Registered
I'm on my computer all day, and I do lots of different types of tasks, so I've found myself creating a myriad of different actions:

@dreamweaver
@design
@decide
@edit
etc.

While I'm still new at this too, I'd suggest that all those things still go under @computer (because that is the context), but to begin your next actions with the the terms that will group similar next actions together.

For example:
@Computer
Dreamweaver - NA for boss' request
Dreamweaver - NA for Joan's task
Edit - first draft of Project X
Edit - Joan's document
etc.

This way you keep all your @computer work together, but you can group your Dreamweaver tasks together, your editing tasks together and so on.

Good luck!

ashraf999

Registered
I have created my lists according to my roles in life. They show me a much broader view of myself:

@Religion
@Family
@Business
@Sports
@Knowledge Seeking
@Entertainment
@Employment

C

CosmoGTD

I would suggest 2 things here.

#1) That we all take the time necessary to REALLY try and understand and APPLY what DA has said about the @Context Next Action lists. This is not so easy to do.

#2) after we REALLY understand and can apply this, then we can start modifying it to suit our own personal work style.

The reason I say this is that DA has thought this through pretty carefully, and it takes a little while to understand it. So sometimes instead of trying to understand what he is talking about, we just CHANGE it too soon to suit our prejudices, and might be spoiling it without even realizing it, based on our own misconceptions.

On the other hand, once we really "get it", then I think it is very useful to customize to our own mind.
Each person's mind is VERY unique and idiosyncratic, in a very profound way. This is something most of us do not realize, how unique and individual each of our minds are.

So if a person spends all day at the computer, it is not a stretch at all for me to look at different areas of their computer as different mental contexts. As stated, there COULD be a handful of @Computer contexts grouped together, if that helps them. One could also cover this by using Projects, of course.
But the argument that Cyberspace has different contexts is not a stretch to me at all, for a person who lives 80% of their waking lives there, and only rarely sees the sunshine!
(we used to call this the musicians "studio tan", that is, they are as pale as a ghost!)

The entire point of GTD is to catch all of our open loops in our system, and then get them done, or feel good about choosing to not get them done right now.

My view is that once we REALLY understand GTD, then its time to get Creative, and apply these ideas in a way that works for our own brain and mind and life.
As long as it is WORKING for us, its working.

I think our primitive educational systems have trained us from birth to think in terms of "uniformity" and making our minds fit the system.
My view is that once we understand the system, we then customize it to suit OUR mind. The system is our servant, not our Master.
But good points have been made to really understand GTD first, and then creatively apply it. That is very important.

Seek first to Understand, then to Change it.
(I almost wrote, then to f*ck it up royally!)

I am currently experimenting with various different customizations for my personal GTD application.
How am I doing this?

Groping in the dark, and trying things, and flying by the seat of my pants.
Try something, see if it WORKS.
Over time, if we can experiment, and learn to trust our own Thinking, we can figure out something that really works for us.

The key though, it seems to me, is that we watch out very carefully that we are not butchering the entire methodology, and by doing so creating stressed-out unproductivity.

My view, trust your own thinking, and your own Intuition, try new things, experiment, and TEST the results.
First learn the technique by the book, and once you hit Blackbelt, then start to make it your own.
If you try to make it your own when you are still a White belt, you are likely going to screw it up royally.

How can we customize something we don't completely understand yet?

In progressive and experimental jazz music, they say,

"you have to learn to play INSIDE first, before you can play OUTSIDE".

or, ya gotta master the rules, before you can break the rules.

Coz

Jay Levitt

Registered
Keep in mind that some software, such as LifeBalance, lets you nest contexts. I'm a music student, and so I have an @Piano context, which is included in @School (I can get a practice room) and in @Home. @Home also includes @Computer, @Calls, etc. If I'm in "call mode", I look at @Calls. If I'm sitting at home generally wondering what I can work on, I look at @Home.

MikeC

Registered
Contexts

At the moment I use @home, @work, @errands, @certain client office, and @calls. (not to mention wish/maybe and waiting on)

I am thinking about amending @work to be @admin, @tax, @consult, and @audit. (yep-I'm an accountant)

I see three advantages:

1. I can then schedule those contexts for certain times on certain days to make sure they get attention. (I hate admin, for example and tend to put it off)
2. The lists are shorter and my intuition works better! (not sure what that means)
3. Same as 2 : the lists are easier to review and "grasp."

This is really not tweaking the system, per se. It's an addition to help "touch more things."

MikeC

Registered
Contexts

At the moment I use @home, @work, @errands, @certain client office, and @calls. (not to mention wish/maybe and waiting on)

I am thinking about amending @work to be @admin, @tax, @consult, and @audit. (yep-I'm an accountant)

I see three advantages:

1. I can then schedule those contexts for certain times on certain days to make sure they get attention. (I hate admin, for example and tend to put it off)
2. The lists are shorter and my intuition works better! (not sure what that means)
3. Same as 2 : the lists are easier to review and "grasp."

This is really not tweaking the system, per se. It's an addition to help "touch more things."

Only two contexts

Oh well, I have only two contexts: "at work" and "at home and elsewhere", and that's enough for me. :D

Okay, I have to admit that I have a lot of short-lived "ad hoc"-sub-contexts, something like @calls_for_preparing_the_next_meeting_of_the_occupational_safety_board, @updating_webpage, @inspection_of_surgery_building in the "at work"-context, and @do-it-yourself_store in the "at home and elsewhere"-context, but they are more like project-oriented checklists and don't live longer than the associated project. Many of my next actions are not in those sub-contexts, but are just next actions for projects in one of my two contexts.

Rainer

Popeye

Registered
@bout wh@t @ctions you use....

I don´t get it. :shock:

Why ask people what @actions they use...

If you can´t trust your self that you are the making the right choises, when you are creating * YOUR * own @actions, who else can you trust :?:

TesTeq

Registered
Re: @bout wh@t @ctions you use....

Popeye said:

If you can´t trust your self that you are the making the right choises, when you are creating * YOUR * own @actions, who else can you trust :?:
It is not a matter of trust - it is a matter of procrastination - it is the way to delay the GTD implementation.
It is similar to asking people from other countries how to avoid traffic jams on your way from home to work. You have to try different routes at different times of the day and then choose the (statistically) optimal for you.
Do not think about perfect @contexts. Just:
1) Take David's list.
2) Delete @contexts that you do not understand.
3) Delete @contexts that are obviously not applicable to you.
4) Add @contexts that you definitely need.
Start Getting other Things Done. If your @context list is good for 80% of situations - do not change it. If something is inconvenient for you - modify it - do not redesign everything from scratch.
TesTeq

M

MarkTAW

TesTeq said:
Do not think about perfect @contexts. Just:
1) Take David's list.
2) Delete @contexts that you do not understand.
3) Delete @contexts that are obviously not applicable to you.
4) Add @contexts that you definitely need.

I have to disagree with this. People have too many @contexts that are applicable, even if only once passingly, or equally bad, for 90% of the day.

My approach is to think of the one place that's the launch pad for all of my actions. We all have one, I think we're hard-wired to create a home base (it's where all your clutter was before you implemented GTD). THAT should be your @context.

TesTeq

Registered

MarkTAW said:
My approach is to think of the one place that's the launch pad for all of my actions. We all have one, I think we're hard-wired to create a home base.
Let's assume that your company has two offices and you are asked to supervise the installation of new computer equipment in both offices. Will you assign both "check LAN connections in all rooms in office 1" NA and "check LAN connections in all rooms in office 2" NA to the same @home context :shock: :?:
TesTeq

kewms

Registered

MarkTAW said:
My approach is to think of the one place that's the launch pad for all of my actions. We all have one, I think we're hard-wired to create a home base (it's where all your clutter was before you implemented GTD). THAT should be your @context.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of contexts?

For me, part of the point is to group similar tasks together. Even though I'm in my office next to a phone 90% of the time, having an @phone context still makes sense because it lets me group all my calls together. Same thing with @email.

Yes, I agree that having @wordprocessor, @spreadsheet, @browser, @Everquest, etc. might be getting a little bit carried away. But I think you can go to far in the other direction as well.

Katherine

M

mscudder

Experimentally:

@purchase -- quick access to all my shopping lists
@monthly -- mainly for recurring bills -- rent, utilities, etc.
@idea -- quick access to ideas; a subset of @someday
@event -- quick access to possible things to do; a subset of @someday
@scheduled -- quick access to scheduled, as opposed to somedayed, events

Regards,

M

mscudder

@bout wh@t @ctions you use....

I don´t get it. Shocked

For me, the issue is finding a set of @action categories that's personally intuitive and easy to use -- i.e., requiring the minimal thought, time, and effort. Most people probably adapt DA's basic suggested @contexts to their particular situation and cognitive style, of which there are many.

Personally, I'm finding this @action discussion highly useful, both in helping me understand the @context idea at a deeper level, and also for the suggestions for @contexts that I might not have thought of, but which could make my own GTD system more effective.

M

MarkTAW

I don't think this approach works for everybody, there are people who have a lot of contexts and require seperate lists for each context.
Let's assume that your company has two offices and you are asked to supervise the installation of new computer equipment in both offices. Will you assign both "check LAN connections in all rooms in office 1" NA and "check LAN connections in all rooms in office 2" NA to the same @home context Shocked Question
Each office is a context because each office is a seperate physical location. You can't test LAN 1 from anywhere but Office 1. What I'm getting at is that there is a "place" that's the starting point for all your actions within a given context. If you're at your desk at work, you're acutely aware of how far the supply store is, where the nearest computer, phone, etc. is and so on. It's the one place that's the starting point for all your actions.

If you do a lot of field work, each field location is the starting point or all activity there, you can't do the work unless you're there. My system does break down a bit if you travel a lot, because you might actually be close to a phone more often than you're at a location and you'll want a seperate @phone list (assuming you have enough phone calls to make that you're frequently calling from the road).

I'm just offering my system as a contrast to David's system, which focuses heavily on people who travel a lot. I'm assuming most people don't travel a lot.

I view them as opposite ends of a spectrum. Mine is heavily tied to location (your situation doesn't change much), and David's is more tied to transient situations.

TesTeq

Registered
And that's my point, MarkTAW. Every GTDer should assemble his own @context list that he likes. But nobody should spend too much time on this task.
Just think about your main places of doing actions and list them. If you find that you need @phone context - just add it.
TesTeq

Popeye

Registered
TesTeq said:
And that's my point, MarkTAW. Every GTDer should assemble his own @context list that he likes. But nobody should spend too much time on this task.
Just think about your main places of doing actions and list them. If you find that you need @phone context - just add it.
TesTeq

Popeye said:

And, TesTeq... That is my point to....

M

MarkTAW

TesTeq said:

So we're in agreement. Good.