What does 'Actionable' means?

assdfd513213

Registered
For example, I have project called "Connecting the Internet on the 1st and 2nd floors"
Action 1 : Set up 2nd floor's router
Action 2: Connect the first and second floors by wire to make sure there are no problems
Action 3: Apply to company for a transfer to move the router from the 2nd floor to the 1st floor.

in this example
I can call company to move internet to 1st floor. It's actionable. But the most effective way is testing first to check if there is problem or not.
Because iff it has problem I have to return to original state.
Is it right to do all the actionable things?

Cpu_Modern

Registered
I can call company to move internet to 1st floor. It's actionable.
Well, according to your post it's not actionable. You first have to test the 1st floor. This is what in project management is called a dependency.

In the GTD flowchart "Is it actionable?" means in a more general sense "am I going to DO something about it (in the near future)?"

"Is it actionable" does not mean "Is is possible for a human being to do anything at all related to this thing?"

Gardener

Registered
Is it right to do all the actionable things?
I'm a little confused. Are you asking if it's appropriate to list out all the steps for a project, even if some steps might have an unexpected outcome, so that you may not be able to work them in that order?

I'd say that's not a good idea. If you want to plan out the most likely sequence of events, that should, IMO, be in your project support material rather than your action lists. But if the actions are obvious, there may be no need to list them anywhere.

Now, if you're asking if it's wrong to schedule the router move, on the assumption that you'll probably be ready for it and you can always cancel
if you're not, that would be, IMO, a decision outside the GTD system. It would be an organizational strategy/policy/procedure decision.