What GTD Bucket Does This Go In?

TruthWK

Registered
At work we are getting new laptops. I have an email that gives instructions for what to do when I receive the new laptop. I have a second email that gives instructions on what to do when I am ready to ship back the old laptop after transferring everything over. I don't know what day the new laptop will arrive so I currently have no next actions on either of these things but don't see how I could use a tickler. I'm expecting it to be within the next week so I don't want them to get lost on a someday/maybe list with other things. I want to be reminded to check the first email when the new laptop arrives. What GTD bucket does this go in?

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
At work we are getting new laptops. I have an email that gives instructions for what to do when I receive the new laptop. I have a second email that gives instructions on what to do when I am ready to ship back the old laptop after transferring everything over. I don't know what day the new laptop will arrive so I currently have no next actions on either of these things but don't see how I could use a tickler. I'm expecting it to be within the next week so I don't want them to get lost on a someday/maybe list with other things. I want to be reminded to check the first email when the new laptop arrives. What GTD bucket does this go in?
I would add these to my waiting for list.

mcogilvie

Registered
I would add these to my waiting for list.

I agree with Longstreet that waiting for is a good choice, but these instructions could also be considered action support and filed away for the new computer's arrival. That arrival is the real action trigger.

Oogiem

Registered
I have an email that gives instructions for what to do when I receive the new laptop. I have a second email that gives instructions on what to do when I am ready to ship back the old laptop after transferring everything over. ... What GTD bucket does this go in?
I'd start a project called New Laptop up and running, add both e-mails to the project support materials for that project and the action of Waiting for new laptop to arrive would be in my waiting for list.

bcmyers2112

Registered
There's no one right answer, but I would likely just sock the email away in my action support folder or a reference folder and not bother putting this on my Waiting For or Projects lists. As @mcogilvie said, the arrival of the laptop will be the "action trigger" and I think it will prompt you to remember that you have to refer to an email with instructions. Unless you're responsible for making sure the laptop arrives at your desk and following up with someone if it doesn't, there's really nothing to track.

Think of this like the "make it or move it" activity DA describes as dominating work in the era prior to the advent of "knowledge work." You'll know you need to do something when you see the laptop.

PBrinton

Registered
From what you described, it sounds like the arrival of your computer is the most precise "tickler" to remind you to take the next actions. A box arriving on your desk serves as a pretty good reminder.:)

However, since shipping errors do occur on occasion, I would also add an item to my tickler list for a couple of weeks out. If the computer has not arrived by then, the tickler will remind you to follow-up on it.