• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

What if you encounter a project when processing your in box?

What if you encounter a project when processing your in box? That is, the item indicates a multi-step thing you need to do.

It's probably not correct to actually begin ORGANIZING the project at that point. Could you just simply flag it as a project, with one next action item, like "draft ideas on project X".
 
Yes --you can do that , but by all means make sure it get's on your " projects" list (I'm assuming that's what you meant by flag it )

The biggest mistakes I've ever made with GTD is not adding something to my projects list as soon as it showed up.

Remember -the projects list is just a "stake in the ground" simply a reminder that you've got the project --it doesn't need fleshed out on the spot.
 
Thanks - that's what I meant. I'd identify it with an action item to flush it out, otherwise toss it in Someday/Maybe and get back to it.
 
yes, as far as I understand GTD --that would be fine.

I used to try and detail out projects in advance (notes attached to the project task) but I'm finding more and more that things change so much , most of the time it's not worth it.
 
Whenever a new project appears, I quickly identify the project AND the successful outcome into my project list. If I have time, I will immediately identify the first NA and put it into the appropriate context list. If not, it will get picked up during my next Weekly Review, when I will see that I have a project with no NA attached to it. Then, I will either create the NA or decide that this is a Someday/Maybe project and move it out of the active projects list.

Claudia
 
I would agree that the two things that MUST occur when you process a project are:

1) Put it on your project list with a successful outcome, get all the clarity you can about what this will look like when it is 100% complete and succesful

2) Get a Next Action onto one of your context lists. (Often that action is "brainstorm/plan...")

Honestly, I have not done #2 when I was in a hurry. Just got it on my project list and caught it at my weekly review, but personally I have found that reviewing a project that has "stalled" in the system just takes the wind right out of my sails. Therefore I ALWAYS find a Next Action, if only to free up my mind from wondering if I am doing ANYTHING about XYZ. To know that the next step is on a list and that I have the freedom to choose to do it when appropriate is enough for me. For larger projects, I have actually put the planning/brainstorming time on my calendar so that I can get a jump on it. I've blocked out a few times a week that I can "park" action items as hard landscape so that I can add some urgency to particular tasks.

I found the hardet part was learning to trust that my system indeed had captured a particular item, particularly those projects that could cost me my job! That's another reason I always pick a Next Action, I have a reminder on a list that I will check several times before my weekly review. Gives me a jump of a few days.

Hope this helped!
 
Top