• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

What is Done?

The dictionary says "Having been carried out or accomplished; finished; a done deed"

What we get from "done" is a sense of accomplishment, check that one off of the list, it's done. I completed the 2005 budget, whew! In fact, I will be working with the 2005 budget on a regular basis.

So I am noticing is that almost all of the work in my life is never "done". There are recurring tasks that I keep at a certain level. This applies to laundry and database integrity. Ongoing maintenance is required. The Palm has really helped me to see this, virtually everything I do I will be doing again days, weeks, months, or years from now.

For me, accepting this mindset has helped a lot. I used to like to get things done to perfection. Now that I know I will be revisiting the same task I am happier with good enough.

How about you? What percentage of your work gets "done"?
 
Grateful

For me, it depends what the task is. For instance, if it's something I despise doing, then to simply make sure that I do *something* with it -- i.e., ANYTHING!, then "good enuff" is just fine --- just so long as I know that I will be approaching the same task again shortly, and might have the opportunity to do more than 'stop-gap' manuveuring.

The above could describe alot of home-files, and tax records - the upkeep done often, quickly, & lasidaisically.

However, there are some repeating household chores that I frequently will go all out 100.01%, demand that results must be 'perfect' --- simply in the hope that the next half dozen times I do them, it will be relatively FAST and easy to maintain them at a high level of sparkling clean ----- so there are a whole number of cleaning chores that I am NOT fond of - for instance, wall/floor behind refrigerator & top, thereof..... and I won't do just "good enuff" on the chores I dislike - as I find it easier to do them frequently, but very thoroughly - thus, knowing beforehand it is not gonna be any major hours-long nasty project to clean them.

During the past few years I've occasionally had to clean out others "haven't been properly cleaned & organized in decades" basements & attics -- and it was so astoundingly an exhausting job, and such long heavy duty work - that I try to make sure that I don't replicate such conditions in MY environment, not EVER.

::shiver::
 
Top