What is the meaning of "actionable"

Silvestro

Registered
Reading the GTD book I see David suggesting, in the "Clarify" chapter, to define if the captured item is "actionable".
Once it is defined as actionable, one should decide this item's next action.
I always thought that "actionable item" and "item's next action" were synonims. David makes often the example of "Mom" as item. Is "Mom" actionable? If yes, define next action, if not, drop it, or file it etc.
But now I think there might be another underlying meaning, which is translating the "actionable" question into "Is it worth it"?

From the (Apple) dictionary I see actionable as "able to be done". Is Mom able to be done? I would say no.
And "Having practical value". Has Mom practical value? Depends on what she's cooking.

If "actionable" means "does it require action?", what is the point of capturing items that are not actionable?
Is it not clearly visible when some item is actionable, and when it is not? Why would you capture "fresh breeze of the night"? Usually items that take a toll on the mind are items that require action.

What is your definition of "actionable"?

Gardener

Registered
To me, an actionable captured item is most often one that can be transformed into a project that can accept an actionable next action. I say "most often" because sometimes it's an item that can be added to an existing project.

"Buy Irish castle" is not actionable, because I don't have the power to do it. Period.

"Grow Himalayan blue poppies" is not actionable, because it's more work than I'm willing to do right now. I could make it actionable, but I don't wanna. It's extremely someday/maybe.

"Grow pumpkins" is actionable...sort of. But I don't really want to organize my summer-garden projects that way. Right now, all I can do is order seeds and prep soil, and then there will be a month of Waiting For. Instead of "Grow pumpkins"/"Grow beans"/"Grow tomatoes", blah blah blah, I'd rather have, "Prep beds for summer crops" and "Buy seeds for summer crops".

I realize you're joking about the "Mom" thing. I assume that the person who wrote "Mom" knows what they meant. They meant "Call Mom" or "Buy Mom's Christmas present" or "Pick up Mom's prescription," or...something. When the thought is expanded that way, they can figure out whether it's actionable.

mcogilvie

Registered
Reading the GTD book I see David suggesting, in the "Clarify" chapter, to define if the captured item is "actionable".
I always thought that "actionable item" and "item's next action" were synonims. David makes often the example of "Mom" as item. Is "Mom" actionable? If yes, define next action, if not, drop it, or file it etc.
But now I think there might be another underlying meaning, which is translating the "actionable" question into "Is it worth it"?

The point is that for some reason Mom is on your mind. Why? Mom is a person, and not actionable. Is there something related to Mom in your current reality you need or want to change? If that thing is simple, it might be a stand-alone next action. If multiple actions are required, it’s a project. Perhaps it is not something to do asap, but is a someday/maybe. I don’t really want to be preoccupied with a vague thought that is simply “Mom”- unless I do. Perhaps I am enjoying the “fresh breeze of the night” and I want to record that enjoyment in my journal. Or maybe I just want to think about Mom for a few minutes. Of course you can view this as “doing work as it shows up”.

Stefan Godo

GTD Connect

From the (Apple) dictionary I see actionable as "able to be done". Is Mom able to be done? I would say no.
And "Having practical value". Has Mom practical value? Depends on what she's cooking.

If "actionable" means "does it require action?", what is the point of capturing items that are not actionable?
Is it not clearly visible when some item is actionable, and when it is not? Why would you capture "fresh breeze of the night"? Usually items that take a toll on the mind are items that require action.

What is your definition of "actionable"?
TesTeq defined actionable perfectly in one sentence.
I would like to add to the "what is the point of capturing items that are not actionable?" part.
Stuff comes into your life in different forms, quite often WITHOUT a prescription/manual = you need to clarify what it means to you.
Some things are captured FOR you (e.g. emails), so before you throw them away, you need to decide.
Sometimes you get an idea, which turns out an hour later - when you are in a different mood - is not actionable, you can still put it into your someday/maybe...etc.
you would be very surprised how often people do not get the "is it actionable?" and especially the "what is the next action?"