What Smartphone do people use to sync with Outlook

tominperu

Registered
Now that I am using the GTD addin with Outlook I am more tied to Outlook now. At present I'm using am old Palm Centro to sync with it but am looking forward to an upgrade in around six months.

I don't need to have actions by project on the smart phone as I don't have the linked actions to project for home projects anyway (and at work I'm usually in the office in front of the computer). I just want a smartphone app that syncs with Outlook Tasks (and Calender) in the basic way.

What are people using for this?

hacker

Registered
Blackberry works flawlessly for this

tominperu;86560 said:
I don't need to have actions by project on the smart phone as I don't have the linked actions to project for home projects anyway (and at work I'm usually in the office in front of the computer). I just want a smartphone app that syncs with Outlook Tasks (and Calender) in the basic way.

I use a BlackBerry Bold 9700 for all of my GTD and mobile data capture... nothing else even comes close to doing what the BlackBerry can do in this space, and with respect to calendaring (the core of any GTD system), iPhone, Android, Windows Mobile devices are still in the dark ages.

See this detailed pair of posts I wrote about exactly how I'm doing this:

http://www.davidco.com/forum/showth...oup-in-BlackBerry-Messenger&p=85039#post85039

annewalsh

Registered
Agree...Blackberry works beautifully...

Hi
switched from Nokia to BB...love it..works beautifully with GTD..and syncs perfectly with Outlook (I use Outlook 2010)

tdb65

Registered
Google calendar and tododledo

tominperu;86560 said:
Now that I am using the GTD addin with Outlook I am more tied to Outlook now. At present I'm using am old Palm Centro to sync with it but am looking forward to an upgrade in around six months.

. Use google calendar and toodoledo both are free will work with almost every smart phone

tominperu

Registered
Thanks for the great info. Can you just use the BB with the stadard software or do you need to buy any 3rd party apps?

I know little about google calender and Toodledo. If I use the calender wouldn that be through the internet. Id rather just sync from the PC. Would toodledo sync to Outlook?

Incidently does the Blackberry sync by cable, wife or what?

PaulK

Registered
This really depends if you want to work on local desktop or are happy storing your calendar/actions lists 'in the cloud'.

Local Desktop:

Advantages: Data stored locally, not in the cloud. No running costs
Disadvantages: No backup of your data. Only sync when at computer. Can't share calendar/invite others to events.

Cloud:
  • Google Calendar is free and internet-based. Just setup a gmail account to get the calendar.
  • Most smartphones can be setup to synchronise over the internet with Google Calendar, Contacts and Email (http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/topic.py?topic=15305) for free. You will need a data plan (and Blackberry Internet Service if you choose BB)
  • Google Tasks is not very GTD-friendly, so you may want to try something like Toodledo
  • To synchronize tasks with your smartphone, have a look at the (paid) options at http://www.toodledo.com/connections.php
Advantages: Data stored in the cloud, available wherever you can access the web. Can share calendar, invite others to events.
Disadvantages: Relies on internet connection to update (although BB can work fine offline). You may prefer Outlook interface. Needs data plan for BB. Possible security concerns for calendar, tasks.

Both:
If you love Outlook and want benefits of cloud, you can sync with Google via Google Sync (http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=89955) which is free.

Hope this helps

tominperu

Registered
I think I would prefer to go down the BB route as I hardly ever surf the web or look at emails on the smartphone and would save on costs if I just synced with the cable (as I do now with the Centro)

I've noticed BB Bold is a lot more expensive that BB Curve and I have little cash to spare. Is there a big difference in these phones? Can I do everything GTD wise on BB Curve?

PaulK

Registered
I use a Curve 8520 to GTD. Sync with Lotus Notes in my case, but calendar and tasks work fine.

Not an expert, but think the Bold has 3G (faster wireless), GPS, higher resolution screen, better camera and faster processor. It sounds from your usage that these may not be important - but have a look at both options.

donnbrow

Registered
Funny - a lot of people here seem to like and use BlackBerry. So do I! I have just purchased the latest Torch, after I have been using my Storm 2 quite a long time. A lot of people always ask me, why I am so keen on using smartphones, but it is just all about the advantages that come along with using a BlackBerry.

Some people I know and work with like to use iPhones to sync with Outlook but since I am of the opinion that an iPhone belongs to a MacBook I do not see a sense of synchronizing it with Microsoft Outlook.

foltzg

Registered
To Confirm- The GTD Add In does NOT interfere with synchronizing to my BB SmartPhone?

I want to be sure and ask a clarifying question. Using the GTD Outlook Add In does NOT impair or adversely affect synchronizing Outlook to my BB? I have a Bold 9700.

I don't want to risk the GTD Add In causing any synchronizing issues as a result of anything it changes in the Outlook format or such.

Any input on this would be greately appreciated.

Thanks
Gene

Defibaugh

Registered
tominperu;86560 said:

I upgraded my Centro to a Pre about a year ago and love it. Full outlook syncing did not work correctly at the time and I had to move to Toodledo but honestly it was worth the switch.

clango

Registered
Defibaugh;88071 said:
I upgraded my Centro to a Pre about a year ago and love it. Full outlook syncing did not work correctly at the time and I had to move to Toodledo but honestly it was worth the switch.

I had the same experience. First of all I implemented in outlook my "digital" gtd system according the david allen set up guidelines you can buy at the store for few dollars.

I was not so happy because it seemed to be slower than an ideal capture tool need to be. So after the first step in which you consolidate your experience I moved to Toodledo on the cloud. More flexible and quick and you can open wherever you are home, office, somewhere...At that time I tried also to sync with my nokia, but it was quite impossible, at least for me, manage my task lists. This is why I bought an android htc. This device now is always with me. I installed there ultimate to do list that sync perfectly with Toodledo, so I can use my lists wherever I am.

On Android or Iphone I think you can have more option than Palm or other devices like the BB's, in an easiest, cheaper, more flexible way...

Of course these are my few cents

Defibaugh

Registered
clango;88073 said:
On Android or Iphone I think you can have more option than Palm or other devices like the BB's, in an easiest, cheaper, more flexible way...

You are absolutly right about this though. As far as options for apps Android / iPhone >> BB >> Palm WebOS. Personally I would prefer a BB or WebOS over the others because you can get a full keyboard and the apps seem to be a bit more business oriented and functional. I think WebOS is slick HP-Palm has managed to give it most of that rock solid feel that I loved in my Centro but the lack of options really bites sometimes.

mhm802

Registered
I greatly prefer Android platform to Blackberry. My husband was a little more reluctant to make the switch, but upgraded to a DroidPro (which has a physical keyboard) and could not be happier. There are plenty of business-focused and business friendly apps available.

I also think the Toodledo/Ultimate To Do list combo is a great one for mobile, always synched task management and very adaptable to GTD.

JohnV474

Registered
Blackberry

For Outlook use, I highly recommend the Blackberry as well. I am a convert to them.

For business use, it is difficult in several ways to beat a Blackberry. For entertainment use, there are other phones. Among other things, the Blackberry has not varied as much over time, so it keeps getting refined as opposed to revamped.

All of the Android phones I've used have had keyboards that were unacceptable for fast data entry. Blackberry allows for 50 wpm without great difficulty.

Oh, and yes there is a difference between Curve and Bold. The Bold series has been the flagship model. They tend to have slightly faster processors and more memory. I use the Bold 9650 and it runs circles around the Curve 8900 I had.

Since a high percentage of BB users use Outlook, keeping the two working well together is a high priority for RIM.

tominperu

Registered
I very much appreciate the feedback I've got from my initial question.

I've looked at Toodledo on the web and it does look very good. Seems there's at least 4apps that you can use on Android phones such that you can update tasks and notes on an Android off line. That was important to me. Also I can sync Outlook to toodledo at work and then separately sync between an app on an Android to toodledo . A bit long winded than my present set up but I guess that will work fine.

Am also waiting for a reply to the above post on how the toodledo sync works if you use the GTD add-in on Outlook. Would be also good to know that the add in works with BB sync.

I am still more inclined to BB just because it sounds more tried and tested with the Outlook sync and because I am very much a boring business user. The only other main uses for my mobile apart from GTD would be phone calls and a camera/video!

Having a large screen than with a BB would be cool though. And I can see Toodledo would be fun to play around with all its filtering and other options. Not sure that is a good thing though as I always prefer that sort of procastination than getting on with work.

Decisions decisions, and my Palm Centro is looking older and older... still works though.

clango

Registered
tominperu;88181 said:
Seems there's at least 4apps that you can use on Android phones such that you can update tasks and notes on an Android off line. That was important to me.

About the Android apps, I personally would consider only two enough run in: Ultimate To Do list and Pocket Informant ( this app need at least Android 2.1) that sync well with Toodledo. Even Got To Do was great but it's end now. Other app are still growing

tominperu

Registered
I think I'm going for a Blackberry

I think I really am going to buy a Blackberry in the next couple of weeks. Probably a Blackberry Curve 9300. I just have a few questions in case I would be wasting my money:

Does it synch with outlook without any third party software that costs money?
Does it allow multiple categories of notes. I have about 40 categories?
Does it allow post dated tasks which only appear at the date they start?
Does it sync adequately with the Outlook GTD add-in?
Can you hide notes only allowing opening with a password?
Does it allow a task to have multiple categories/contexts at the same time?

Thanks for any insights? I am looking forward to having a new phone!

I realise Android would also be good. The things that has really put me off them is that the cheaper models with a querty keyboard don't seem to have a great battery life and I still like the idea of being able to sync with a cable and not only via the internet.

PaulK

Registered
Does it synch with outlook without any third party software that costs money?
Yes - Blackberry Desktop is free
Does it allow multiple categories of notes. I have about 40 categories?
Yes - I only have about 15 categories, but worked fine
Does it allow post dated tasks which only appear at the date they start?
I don't think so - mine only has 'Due' date, not start date
Does it sync adequately with the Outlook GTD add-in?
Haven't used this
Can you hide notes only allowing opening with a password?
Not that I can find
Does it allow a task to have multiple categories/contexts at the same time?
Yes

I still have a work Blackberry, but have moved to Android/PocketInformant/Toodledo for next actions. Most are created on computer, so keyboard is not really an issue for me.

Hope this helps.