What to do when you finish your next action ?

Ahmed Belkora

Registered
Hello ,

i am a GTD fan for many years now and i have a question for u guys about the next actions. Some projects for me needs to be dealt with rapidly but i have only one next action that is to do. when i finish the next action about this project my project with OF 2 is without a next action till a revise it at the end of the week.

Should i Write the next action just after i finish every next action or should i do the classic review at the end of the week?

thank U

RS356

Registered
For me, capturing the next action in the moment works best as long as I'm routinely processing my inboxes. Each project moves at its own pace, so a good question might be what are you comfortable with? If you are concerned that a project is not moving fast enough or that opportunities to act will be lost, a more frequent review of that project may help.

In OF2, you can set a project's review settings to remind you to look at it daily or every few days. Nothing in GTD says that you must only look at your projects in the weekly review. Do what you need to keep them off your mind :)

Last edited:

vaughan76

Registered
I don't personally see the need to wait until the end of the week to write a next action. I've often got multiple actions per project listed, especially if they need to happen in different contexts. The "write one single next action" rule, for me, comes into play mainly when I'm struggling to get a project moving. If I'm not, and I've got the time, energy, and context, I'll often just bang out a project entirely.

Also, I do mini-reviews and mindsweeps every day. Next actions are always getting captured, not just during the weekly review.

mcogilvie

Registered
Hello ,

i am a GTD fan for many years now and i have a question for u guys about the next actions. Some projects for me needs to be dealt with rapidly but i have only one next action that is to do. when i finish the next action about this project my project with OF 2 is without a next action till a revise it at the end of the week.

Should i Write the next action just after i finish every next action or should i do the classic review at the end of the week?
thank U

It’s most often the case that I have a clear picture of the next action after I finish an action. Why would I keep such important information in my head? Sometimes I don’t know exactly what to do next, so I insert a "next action to find out the next action", capturing as much as I can of the issues. An example: "Brainstorm next action on computers in light of budget uncertainty." For me, the weekly review is for making sure projects have next actions, sure, but it’s more about awareness, about progress, priorities, timelines and deadlines as required for each project.

Gardener

Registered
Hello ,

thank U

I'd either write a next action immediately, or keep working on the project and make sure that when I pause, I enter a next action.

Geeko

GTD since 2017
I think it depends on how you work on your project. If you really are "in flow", I would just continue working on the project. As soon as my concentration breaks or I have to shift focus, it is time for defining a next action to be able to continue the project later.
GTD is there to make your life easier, not to make it more complicated ;)

Cheers,
Tristan