What to write down?

yoha

Registered
So I'm at the beginning of implanting GTD. I have come to realize that capturing your thoughts is a big thing in GTD, but what should I capture?
For example, if I watch a movie and a question on the movie pops in my head should I write it down? One the one hand I don't really care about the question or about that thought, but on the other hand GTD states the importance of capturing your thoughts.
Any advice?

mcogilvie

Registered
So I'm at the beginning of implanting GTD. I have come to realize that capturing your thoughts is a big thing in GTD, but what should I capture?
For example, if I watch a movie and a question on the movie pops in my head should I write it down? One the one hand I don't really care about the question or about that thought, but on the other hand GTD states the importance of capturing your thoughts.
Any advice?
Sure.

First, there’s the two-minute rule. If you’re not in a movie theater and it is socially acceptable to do so, you can check the IMDb database or Wikipedia for the answer to your question. Or not.

Second, the better your capture process is, the less barrier there is to actually capturing. What are you willing to do where? Write notes in a meeting? Probably. Record a voice memo on your phone in public? Maybe not. Think about how you capture, and if it’s working for you.

Third, there are three categories of stuff you might capture: definitely yes, definitely no, and not sure. If you’re not sure, capture it. You can always discard it later when you process it. Your ability to discriminate will develop as you continue the habit of capturing. You will probably capture a bit less, but you will also record what you capture in ways more meaningful to you.

Fourth, as your understanding of your projects, areas of focus and higher levels improves, you will also have better judgement in what you capture.

Good luck with GTD. I think you will find it rewarding!

ERJ1

Jedi Master
When I started with GTD I really broke it down into whether or not it was actionable.

If something was actionable, if there was a THING to do in relation to it, I would capture it. Everything else, I tossed.

Now, a bit over a year and a half into practicing GTD, I'm working on expanding and building systems in which to keep ideas, notes, thoughts, and other non-actionable items in a "second brain" in Evernote.