what's the big deal re: Moleskine?

H

Hugh Griffiths

Moleskine gets my vote

I agree that using a Moleskine is expensive but also worth it due to the quality of the product. Although I enjoy the larger notebooks from the range due to their book-like tactile quality, I have recently starting using the slim pocket Cahiers in black. They are so easy to carry, there is really no excuse not to have one with me. Being relatively inexpensive I also find it is easy to begin using them without the "is this worth writing down?" 'fear factor' that can stop you beginning to use a £13 notebook.

Following on from the post above, I have found Amazon.co.uk can be good for catching inexpensive Moleskines, particularly if you order enough for free shipping. They have the large notebook available for less than £5 at the moment from the link here to the product (just so you know and there is full disclosure on my part - this does have my affiliate link included!)

vatark

Registered
Hugh Griffiths said:
Following on from the post above, I have found Amazon.co.uk can be good for catching inexpensive Moleskines, particularly if you order enough for free shipping. They have the large notebook available for less than £5 at the moment from the link here to the product (just so you know and there is full disclosure on my part - this does have my affiliate link included!)
Interesting, but I'm not sure they qualify for free delivery as they aren't supplied by Amazon :(

I use the Cahier notebooks produced by Moleskine. The pocket sized ones have 64 pages, a soft cover and a pocket at the back. I like these because they are much easier to carry around than the standard Moleskine which means they get used rather than left on the desk gathering dust...

J

JohnR

I can confirm that they do indeed qualify for free delivery as I have had several delivered this morning on that basis.

vatark said:
Interesting, but I'm not sure they qualify for free delivery as they aren't supplied by Amazon :(

I use the Cahier notebooks produced by Moleskine. The pocket sized ones have 64 pages, a soft cover and a pocket at the back. I like these because they are much easier to carry around than the standard Moleskine which means they get used rather than left on the desk gathering dust...

H

Hugh Griffiths

Like the Cahiers?

If you like the compact Moleskine Cahiers, you may want to take a look at Amazon uk. In the post above I gave a link for the standard size Moleskine for the amazingly low price of just £4.80, but they also now have the pocket Cahiers for only £1.80 for 3 which is a superb price.

At these prices I am even more of a Moleskine fan than before and am rapidly collecting a drawful of new ones ready to use! If you are interested, the links for two of my favourites are as follows:

Large ruled Moleskine
Cahier Pocket Ruled Journal

(again for disclosure, these have my affiliate links built into them should you choose to use them!)

I have come across some stuff on 43folders about using Moleskine notebooks for GTD but are there other sites anyone can recommend?

S

sonia_simone

It doesn't look like the U.S. Amazon carries the cahiers yet, which is too bad. I'm really liking mine.

H

Hugh Griffiths

Moleskine & GTD tips

Hugh Griffiths said:
At these prices I am even more of a Moleskine fan than before and am rapidly collecting a drawful of new ones ready to use! If you are interested, the links for two of my favourites are as follows:

Large ruled Moleskine
Cahier Pocket Ruled Journal

I have come across some stuff on 43folders about using Moleskine notebooks for GTD but are there other sites anyone can recommend?

Posted this a short while ago - anyone able to point me towards anyone using Moleskine tools for a GTD implementation? Any help would be much appreciated!

BigStory

Registered
Check this thread out...

I am dropping the Palm for a Moleskine - I just was drawn back to the feel of paper. I was encouraged by the posting below by Mike Rohde. You might want to check it out, along with the links Mike provides - some useful stuff there.

http://www.rohdesign.com/weblog/archives/001850.html

(P.S. Does anyone have one of the 28 page Moleskine mini-address books they are not using, and are willling to part with?)

Best Wishes,
Gordon

vatark

Registered
BigStory said:
I am dropping the Palm for a Moleskine
I think you'll find the Moleskine doesn't break when dropped ;)

BigStory said:
(P.S. Does anyone have one of the 28 page Moleskine mini-address books they are not using, and are willling to part with?)
I've got one, but its from the large diary, and would get quite soggy swimming across the pond... ;)

Seriously, if you don't get a better offer locally, send me your address and I'll pop it in the post to you.

V

Vramin

Barnes & Noble has the pocket address books...

I looked at a few articles on making this shift to GTD in a Moleskine, but I have so many NA's, Projects, and SM's that the act of transcribing them all to paper appeared to daunting. For the moment I am sticking with my Palm.

However, I can see situations where I would carry my Moleskine that I would not take my Palm, so it might still be worth doing...

prwood

Registered
I'm just curious - for those of you who use a Moleskine, what function does it serve, exactly, in your implementation of GTD? How do you use it?

mcogilvie

Registered
prwood said:
I'm just curious - for those of you who use a Moleskine, what function does it serve, exactly, in your implementation of GTD? How do you use it?

Uh, it''s a notebook. I write meeting notes in it mostly. It's chronological and I try to date every entry, then go back to extract projects, next actions, and ideas. I am feeling really good about it this week because I am at a conference at a resort hotel. Hotels usually have poor conference facilities compared to universities. Although this is a very nice place, it is no exception: the projector screens are too small, the rooms are flat so it is more difficult to see from the back, and the chairs don't have arms to hold a notebook. The moleskine is large enough to write in, but small enough and firm enough to be used in a lap.

prwood

Registered
mcogilvie said:
Uh, it''s a notebook. I write meeting notes in it mostly. It's chronological and I try to date every entry, then go back to extract projects, next actions, and ideas.

So basically, you're using it as a mobile 'stuff' collection device. Not as, say, a way to track next actions, projects, etc. That's what I was really getting at with my question... I know the *general* purpose that a notebook serves.

vatark

Registered
prwood said:
So basically, you're using it as a mobile 'stuff' collection device. Not as, say, a way to track next actions, projects, etc.
I'd use a Moleskine diary and a Memo Pockets to help track next actions, and keep bits and pieces collected while out and about. Not perfect, but what is?

It doesn't really matter what you use, just that you develop the discipline to use it.

V

Vramin

Some people have found ways to implement GTD with a Moleskine

But I have not been able to leap back to pure analog.

For me, the Moleskine is an unusual notebook that just makes me want to write in it. I keep development logs and other notes in a couple (I have one that is a pure sketchbook). At each weekly review I mark that point and it gives me a reference for going back to see if any new actions or projects appeared along the way that I might have missed.

So for me it's largely a collection device as well. Google on "Moleskine GTD" and you'll find a couple of implementations that look like they work.