When 50 000 feet mission statement kicks you in the ass

hl533

Registered
In the last week I have tried to write my purpose in and principles (50k feet horizon). I focused at being honest to myself on what that actually drives me every morning. If I read my purpose every morning it has to resonate with what I feel, or else it will not work as motivation. The problem is that when I look at it I don't like the person that it describes.. But on the other hand, I know that it wouldn't work just to change the purpose and principles, because that will only make me abandon them when an inner conflict comes up. I'm actually very confused, and sorry that this post is unstructured. Anyone has any experience with a similar situation that can offer som advice?

mcogilvie

Registered
Well, the obvious solution is to not read your purpose statement every morning and look elsewhere for daily motivation. I greatly admire Lincoln's 2nd inaugural address, but I don't read it every day. Are you similarly uncomfortable with your areas of focus? Do you feel that your projects and next actions betray your deepest principles? If so, you do have a problem. If not, then perhaps you are asking too much out of one statement. Many people enjoy reading daily from a variety of sources for inspiration and motivation.

Jordan

Registered
hl533 I would suggest going easy on yourself. The 50000 feet mission statement is not a simple one. I am about 2 years in to my GTD "journey" and I am just about happy with my goals, and I'm slowly working up to my vision. Have you got your other horizons of focus down and your happy with them?

mcogilvie makes a good point, and I would add that your 50000ft objective shouldn't necessarily need to be looked at every day. I use my Areas of Focus and Goals to steer future decision making, but I don't need to look at them to get out of bed every day.

Oogiem

Registered
hl533 said:
In the last week I have tried to write my purpose in and principles (50k feet horizon). I focused at being honest to myself on what that actually drives me every morning. If I read my purpose every morning it has to resonate with what I feel, or else it will not work as motivation. The problem is that when I look at it I don't like the person that it describes.

Here is a repost from a long time ago. But I just did the same actions last month at my Equinox review. First off give yourself time. IT takes a lot to get to your inner core and purpose.

I came at GTD from Covey so had a sense of higher levels before figuring out how to do them. But at this equinox change I also review a bunch of higher levels because fall for me is the start of more time inside to reflect and evaluate.

Here are a couple of exercises I try to do once a year or every couple of years. They all tend to give you perspective. From experience the best way to do these is to pick one, set aside some time, I usually try for about 30 minutes, and just think and write notes or brainstorm the topic. Then put it away for at least a week. Then do another session. trying to refine into the most important points. Put away for another week or 2 and finally a last session where you actually try to complete the task. Do a few each year or so or as many as you think are important. Maybe even one a month for a while.

The time away and relative short intense bursts of activity are critical to getting them done in a way that actually works to provide the perspective you seek. Also, for me at least, doing these exercises right before I go to bed, then allowing an extra 5-10 minutes the next morning also reveals much. My subconscious and dreams often work on the problems while I sleep. I try to get maybe 2-3 done a year and all done in the span of 5 years to keep in perspective. I also keep my previous incarnations in a history file that I review AFTER I've done this particular version. One key point DO NOT look at past versions BEFORE you start this one.

The exercises:

1. Write your obituary in 2 forms. The short one that goes into the big daily paper that has a word limit and the long one that goes into your local small paper or is read at your funeral or memorial ceremony. Think what you want to be remembered by. Spend some time reading both forms of obituaries first so you cover all the important parts. What do people seem to be proud of? What do you want to be proud of when you go? Who have you left behind? What do they do? (Most important if you have children.)

2. Write a list of what you love to do. Put everything into it from mundane stuff like sleeping in late to the most esoteric. This one can usually be done in 2 sessions. One to write & one to review.

3. Write a list of what you hate to do. As above it usually takes 2 sessions but no more.

4. Write an essay on this quote from Armand Hammer "Wealth is not something you acquire, it's something you create. Just think of something that most people would consider impossible and go do it." What impossible things would you like to see done in this world? How would you define wealth? hint: wealth does not equal money although money helps

5. What would you do if you knew you could not fail? Hint: Think on the impossible things exercise for suggestions.

6. If you were diagnosed with a disease that gave you 6 months to live what would you do and why? (This one often takes me 4-5 sessions to complete)

7. Write down what scares you the most and then next session write down how to mitigate that problem. I use this poem by Frank Herbert to end this session:
"Fear is the Mind Killer
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration
I will face my fear
I will permit it to pass over me and through me
And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing
Only I will remain"

8. Friends and enemies: Write a list of 10 honest enemies and 10 dishonest friends you have now. Decide what to do once you've identified them. Why did you have dishonest friends? What makes an enemy honest?

9. What mental molds have you created? Based on this quote from Jack Addington "By setting goals we create a mold into which the energy of life flows.
When we set small goals we provide small molds.
Our great goals provide great molds.
The substance of life has been called mind stuff.
Mind stuff flows into our mental molds."

10. You are not your parents/children. Make a list of things your parents or grandparents did or do that you do not want to do. Reflect on how you will be the change you desire to see in the world. List the things you do and don't want your children to do. Based on this quote from Stephen Covey "A tendency that's run in your family for generations can stop with you. You are a transition person - a link between past & future."

Maybe one of these ideas will spark your own explorations?

ArcCaster

Registered
Oogie -- thanks for the post -- hope to ruminate on it this weekend. I recognize only a few of your quotes (from Dune and Covey) -- but it is good to be reminded of them :)

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
ArcCaster said:
Oogie -- thanks for the post -- hope to ruminate on it this weekend. I recognize only a few of your quotes (from Dune and Covey) -- but it is good to be reminded of them :)

I hope you'll be more specific about Dune.

Oogiem

Registered
John Forrister said:

The Frank Herbert poem is the Bene Gesserit litany against fear. First law of the mentat's. Darned if I can remember the name of the Reverend Mother who taught it to Maud'Dib though. Haven't read Dune in something like 15 years

iChadman

Registered
If you are still searching for purpose, I would recommend Michael Hyatt's Living Forward. It touches on some of the principals listed here and probably borrows from some of them.

ArcCaster

Registered
John Forrister said:

Read Dune about 40 years ago. Perhaps I will revisit it.

From the New Yorker: "“Dune” is an epic of political betrayal, ecological brinkmanship, and messianic deliverance. It won science fiction’s highest awards—the Hugo and the Nebula—and went on to sell more than twelve million copies during Herbert’s lifetime. As recently as last year, it was named the top science-fiction novel of all time in a Wired reader’s poll."

It was published in 1965. Some people said they should make a movie out of it. Others said they did -- the movie was called 'Star Wars'.

Me, I think that although you can see a lot of Dune in Star Wars, Star Wars does not do it justice.

Instigase

Registered
Oogiem said:
The Frank Herbert poem is the Bene Gesserit litany against fear. First law of the mentat's. Darned if I can remember the name of the Reverend Mother who taught it to Maud'Dib though. Haven't read Dune in something like 15 years

-Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Oogiem

Registered
Thanks for the info. I haven't had time to dig out my ancient copy of dune and you've saved me the trouble.

treelike

Registered
If you're looking at your purpose and you don't like the person it describes then it's clearly not your purpose.

Just sayin'