When to use Waiting for... state and tag

Brenaud10

Registered
I am having a difficult time determining how to appropriately use the "waiting for..." tag and/or state, for context I am using NirvanaHQ.

My obvious understanding is that I use the "waiting for" state when I am waiting for a task or action from someone, but when do I use the tag, it seems redundant to use it in conjunction with the "waiting for" state. Or I am overcomplicating a simple process.

Any help would be great. thanks

mcogilvie

Registered
It looks like Nirvana wants you to be Waiting For Someone, which seems very romantic. Sometimes I am waiting for a thing, like a package, or a condition, like warm weather. So I would probably prefer a tag. However, tags and status are not equivalent, so there may be some advantage in display, reporting or organizing to using Status. @Longstreet?

Mateusz

Registered
I can’t see any reason/case to use waiting tags instead of waiting status which is available within Nirvana app. Of course as you mentioned Nirvana assumes you are waiting for someone but it is only a matter of how you use it. There is no problem with adding a contact and name it “Something” and use it when you wait for something instead of someone. You can also define exact thing you are waiting for. Mixing waiting tags and state is a little confusing for me.

Brenaud10

Registered
I can’t see any reason/case to use waiting tags instead of waiting status which is available within Nirvana app. Of course as you mentioned Nirvana assumes you are waiting for someone but it is only a matter of how you use it. There is no problem with adding a contact and name it “Something” and use it when you wait for something instead of someone. You can also define exact thing you are waiting for. Mixing waiting tags and state is a little confusing for me.
Excellent, thank you for the tip.

Mateusz

Registered
In my case, I use also a "Myself" contact tag.
I use it for very strong dependencies between projects.
Let's say I have a project A which at some point needs a project B to be done before I can move forward. In that case, within project A, on waiting list I have something like:
Waiting for "Myself" - Finish project B

Stephen Brown

Registered
In my case, I use also a "Myself" contact tag.
I use it for very strong dependencies between projects.
Let's say I have a project A which at some point needs a project B to be done before I can move forward. In that case, within project A, on waiting list I have something like:
Waiting for "Myself" - Finish project B
I have always struggled with projects when I am waiting for a different project to be finished. You solved it in one sentence. Thank you.