Where and how do you keep track of your higher horizons?

Lagerbaer

Registered
I find that most GTD implementation guides focus on Next Actions and Projects and leave it at that, with FacileThings being a welcome deviation.

In looking at the sample PDFs for the implementation guides, I also notice that they mainly talk about next action lists and a project list, but not where the higher levels fit into all of this.

I would be interested in hearing from you how you keep track of and interact with your list of areas of focus, goals, vision and purpose.

treelike

Registered
I find that most GTD implementation guides focus on Next Actions and Projects and leave it at that, with FacileThings being a welcome deviation.

In looking at the sample PDFs for the implementation guides, I also notice that they mainly talk about next action lists and a project list, but not where the higher levels fit into all of this.

I would be interested in hearing from you how you keep track of and interact with your list of areas of focus, goals, vision and purpose.
I have them as simple text lists, one list per level and review them at appropriate intervals. I have repeating reminders in my calendar to review them. When it comes up on the calendar I make it into a Next Action e.g. "Review 30k list" under the context I use for undisturbed time.

Tom_Hagen

Registered
I keep my aims, area of focus and so on in Freemind as a mindmap. My first level is topic / area for example Skills, next level is more detailed like let's say Cooking and this can be inspiration for me to put into my GTD system Project: "Learn to cook lobster in muslin sauce" :)

clango

Registered
I keep them everywhere!
In Nirvana, in every computer I use, in my mindmaps, now in xmind ex-freemind, in my digital reference a-z on Gooogle Drive, printed on my desk where I work at home.
Those are the important things to do! ;)
I'm forgetting...I have an image with a symbol I choose to remember me to do first these things as screensaver on smartphone and computers.

Even every morning when I take the DE razor to shave there is the same image! ;)

Cpu_Modern

Registered
The projects list is kept with the context lists "in the system"…

I maintain the Areas of Focus as a (digital) mindmap, like @Tom_Hagen and like the David himself. At least he used to do it. Here's David's mindmap from ~2010 or so…
areasoffocus.jpg
…notice how he has some branches hidden, for reasons of privacy I suppose.

My 30k, 40k and 50k items I just type out into my journal. These come in all kinds of formats. Sometimes it's a simple list, sometimes a table, other times I write a paragraph of prose.

The key is to review and update often enough. That will build your intuition, which in turn lets you make better decisions in the moment of choice.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 25

Lagerbaer

Registered
It's nothing compared to "Annie" while his wife's name is Kathryn :) I am sure that he will have a difficult conversation at home today. ;)

That's how RomComs start, isn't it?

"Who's Annie!?"

"Wait! I can explain!"

"I don't want to hear it!" (Storms off in a huff and sets wacky plot in motion to win her back, probably involving a grand romantic gesture)

Geeko

GTD since 2017
I have my higher horizons on separate pieces of paper in a separate section of my paper planner (finally I managed to write everything down). And I use my tickler file to schedule them for through reviews over the year. Like this I have them at hand when I need them and I won’t forget to review everything in time.

Cheers,
Tristan

Cpu_Modern

Registered
This is a sample map of Coach Meg Edwards, that she showed on a webinar we did. It’s not David’s. Just wanted to clarify that.
Thanks for the clarification! My mistake, I apologize.

I did confuse the prior posted image with the one I was thinking of. Here is the right image:
DA-AoF.png

@TesTeq Re the cats, yeah I first thought "What a cool way to name your cats!" But then, DA is a pretty cool guy, so that didn't throw me off.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 15