where do next next actions go

macgrl

Registered
Suppose I know exactly what a sequence of actions are regarding something that I need to get done (a project) on what list to I put those next next actions bearing in mind that I can only have one next action on my next action list:)

Oogiem

Registered
Project Support

macgrl;92254 said:
Suppose I know exactly what a sequence of actions are regarding something that I need to get done (a project) on what list to I put those next next actions bearing in mind that I can only have one next action on my next action list:)

Project support materials.

Or in my case I just go ahead and put them in my Omnifocus system and let the OF SW feed me the next actions as appropriate.

pxt

Registered
I always finish a next action by defining the next one straight away.

So any thoughts I have about subsequent actions go into my action support.
In a GTD app like Omnifocus or Things, this would be in a comments or notes field.
I am not committed to these as next actions, it's a memo that appears at the time I want to use it.

A next action would look like:

> Buy mifi
^ Remember to ask about plan-switching

Then:
* Switch off Dropbox syncing
* Reduce size of Dropbox folders
* Switch Dropbox syncing back on
* Test mifi

S

supergtdman

I use project support.
I too use Omnifocus and can add more than one next action if I set the project to sequential but I find that real life changes so much all the time that those planned next action might be irrelevant and so I keep multiple next actions only if they are parallel next actions

pgarth

Registered
Next Action flow

macgrl;92254 said:

This is an interesting one, as I oftentimes can't help associatively mind-mapping out all the future next actions. Of course, there is a danger because life sometimes doesn't happen as I originally thought it would.

If you must write down a list of Next Actions, then I put this within my Project Support System (nowadays this is in MindManager) -- this works well for technical procedural stuff where it's oftentimes pre-determined. As an aside, I've noticed lately that quite a bit of my impromptu processing (popcorn-style thoughts entering into my consciousness) involves parking future Next Actions within Project Support -- anything to get it out of my head as the associative next action will be down the road.

Now for the tweak -- I've gotten into the habit of sliding in an ";" to separate two actions within one entry. ";" is my short-hand for "THEN". This typically happens for Waiting-For's when I'm representing many people and need to give them a status update.

For example: LJ Ticket 12345 re: View Sorting for BD (10/8); Update KAM

What I'm doing is writing down that I entered a ticket into LongJump on 10/8 regarding View Sorting, I'm waiting on a response, and when I get feedback I'll then update the user - KelleyM. If I didn't slide in the follow-on action I would forget who I placed the ticket for and need to spend time looking up.

Disclaimer: I've toned back this practice radically lately as I trust my mind more now to come up with the next actual action after completing something.

Click "Submit Reply"; sleep.

Paul

macgrl

Registered
Thank you very much for helping with this. Very much appreciated. It has helped me make a decision to put them in project support materials