Where should those things go?

AlexanderChow

Registered
I am categorizing my notes in evernote. I have much information that's not actionable, But give me directions. For example. good points in the GTD book, that somehow shred some light on me. If it goes to reference, it give me the feeling it's some information that's not quite useful until I need it. If it goes to inspiration, it's a bit "overpriced".
Any suggestions?

pxt

Registered
Using your example of GTD, where does GTD appear in your six horizons?
If the answer is 'nowhere', then I'd say that's an issue.

In my case, GTD is one of my Areas of Focus.
I accumulate notes at each node of my six horizons.
I have a folder structure on my computer like

GTD/
GTD/50K Purpose and Principles/
GTD/40K Visions/
GTD/30K Goals/
GTD/20K Areas of Focus/
GTD/20K Areas of Focus/GTD/
GTD/20K Areas of Focus/Health/
GTD/10K Project Support Material/
GTD/10K Project Support Material/Brother - Buy birthday present/
GTD/10K Project Support Material/Hand - Rehabilitate injury/

I treat each of the 20K+ nodes as parents of Next Projects, in the same way that projects are the parents of Next Actions. So each of these nodes can have support material in the folder. When a project ends, I go back to the parent to create a Next Project, which triggers a review of the support material, as one would do when creating a next action.

I have text documents with names like 'About Projects', where I gather my tips and tricks for running projects.

Suelin23

Registered
For me GTD is both a project, with project support file, as well as being a reference topic. So the things I really want to get up and running with regards to GTD, they go into my GTD project folder, the things I just want to capture and be able to refer to when I want to do a more thorough review, I put into GTD Reference.

ellobogrande

Registered
If it's not actionable material then it's reference material. Store it that way. If you want to be reminded to look at it periodically, add a note about that material to your tickler file.

AlexanderChow

Registered
pxt;88812 said:
Using your example of GTD, where does GTD appear in your six horizons?
If the answer is 'nowhere', then I'd say that's an issue.

In my case, GTD is one of my Areas of Focus.
I accumulate notes at each node of my six horizons.
I have a folder structure on my computer like

GTD/
GTD/50K Purpose and Principles/
GTD/40K Visions/
GTD/30K Goals/
GTD/20K Areas of Focus/
GTD/20K Areas of Focus/GTD/
GTD/20K Areas of Focus/Health/
GTD/10K Project Support Material/
GTD/10K Project Support Material/Brother - Buy birthday present/
GTD/10K Project Support Material/Hand - Rehabilitate injury/

I treat each of the 20K+ nodes as parents of Next Projects, in the same way that projects are the parents of Next Actions. So each of these nodes can have support material in the folder. When a project ends, I go back to the parent to create a Next Project, which triggers a review of the support material, as one would do when creating a next action.

I have text documents with names like 'About Projects', where I gather my tips and tricks for running projects.

This is just one of the three Models for Making Action Choices, Things like principles I guess, is kind of another story. Principle is all about how you should act, Should we put this in the reference bucket?

JohnV474

Registered
Natural planning

Do you mean general, universal principles, or principles specific to one project?

Here are a few examples and the appropriate location for each:

1) "Arrive early to all meetings and appointments" or "maintain regular communication between others on my team and me". These are more general, universal principles that will likely apply to several projects. I would create an Area of Focus, perhaps called "Personal Principles" and create a document that you can refer to when it is time to ask "how am I doing on these?" In that document I would include principles that you want to apply to several projects, or to life in general.

Note that if you are trying to create a habit, then you may temporarily have a project of maintaining punctuality for some period of time.

2) "All grammar, syntax, spelling, and punctuation doublechecked." This principle may be one of the guidelines that is especially important for one project (e.g. writing a published article) but may not apply to all projects.

Principles for a particular project would fit onto your Project Plan, in accordance with the Natural Planning Model.

Hope these help!

JV474