Why someday/maybe list goes not to Reference?

assdfd513213

Registered
In GTD setup guide reference section they recommend to use 'Might like to buy' 'Might like to read' folder.
Isn't it Someday/maybe list?
What is difference between two of them?

TesTeq

Registered
In GTD setup guide reference section they recommend to use 'Might like to buy' 'Might like to read' folder.
Probably you might like to ;) put these items on your Someday/Maybe list or sublists if you wish. IMHO it's a matter of the guide author's preference, not the GTD guideline.

mcogilvie

Registered
Perhaps the author was thinking of a physical file of physical, paper-based information. Rather than duplicate the information on a paper or digital list, the thought was to throw it in a folder. Of course, in my life today, the notion of a paper file of things to buy seems quaint. Even the weekly drugstore circular arrives by email. Of course, some people still use paper quite a bit, but I’m not one of them.

RS356

Registered
Things to read, movies to see, and similar lists can be both someday/maybe and reference. Your someday/maybe list could include items that you want to review on a regular basis. You can also just collect items on lists to consult on an as-needed basis. An example: I have a "Gift Ideas" list that I store as reference. I don't keep it as a Someday/Maybe because I don't review it regularly, but I will consult it when there's an upcoming birthday or other occasion.

assdfd513213

Registered
Things to read, movies to see, and similar lists can be both someday/maybe and reference. Your someday/maybe list could include items that you want to review on a regular basis. You can also just collect items on lists to consult on an as-needed basis. An example: I have a "Gift Ideas" list that I store as reference. I don't keep it as a Someday/Maybe because I don't review it regularly, but I will consult it when there's an upcoming birthday or other occasion.
I think your solution is best for me.
Thank you

Deirdre

Registered
Isn't it Someday/maybe list? What is difference between two of them?

For me, someday/maybe are projects or things to-do like places to eat when in Chicago, art museums to visit when we are in Ann Arbor, etc; reference are things like recommended books to read, all the movies or Netflix to watch (so many recommendations), paint colors in our homes' rooms (you can't believe how much this comes in handy), and general reference.

I have defined it for us as the difference of something to do and something I may need to reference.

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
as other users have said, it is both; technically, someday/maybe is a special category of reference list. Early on in the GTD journey a lot of people have only one someday/maybe list. As you go along using GTD, its common to build up hundreds or even thousands of someday/maybe items. That's when breaking out multiple someday/maybe lists generally becomes useful. The examples given in the guide are simply more specific categories of someday/maybe lists.

Zak1322

Registered
To me the defining factor between someday maybe and reference is whether or not there is an action involved.

Books to read = an action (reading) = someday maybe

old meeting notes, birthday lists of loved ones, maintenance log on my car = no action = reference.

Brooke.

Registered
To me the defining factor between someday maybe and reference is whether or not there is an action involved.

Books to read = an action (reading) = someday maybe

old meeting notes, birthday lists of loved ones, maintenance log on my car = no action = reference.
So simple. This nails it.