Why, then, organize when you can search?

ArcCaster

Registered
looks like a periodic purging and organizing is assumed in GTD

Since I last posted, I stumbled across some notes saying it is expected that you will sift through your files and purge and organize on a regular basis.

I am starting my 12th year on the same system, have never re-organized or purged, and the thought of going through all that stuff is a bit overwhelming. So I wonder -- is this the kind of thing I could delegate? Or does sorting my stuff require my personal perspective?

Regards,
Rob

mcogilvie

Registered
looks like a periodic purging and organizing is assumed in LIFE

My mother has been a hoarder for at least the last twenty-five years. Let me tell you, facing up to the issues this has raised for my family has made me really, really aware of the consequences of not purging and organizing on a regular basis. It's gotta be done.

Oogiem

Registered
ArcCaster;90982 said:
So I wonder -- is this the kind of thing I could delegate? Or does sorting my stuff require my personal perspective?

IMO No that absolutely cannot be delegated. And if more than one person uses or is affected by the files or stuff you had both better be there during the sorting and purging. I would throw away stuff my husband deems critical and vice versa. Plus we often think totally differently on how to file and later find something so we have to discuss each of those items as they come up and settle on the way we will both use the file system.

arviescoot

Registered
If we can't find any solution regarding to our question google is the best solution for it.
So we must know what is the work of google to us.

Cpu_Modern

Registered
Re delegating I am with Oogie, this absolutely cannot be delegated. You would ask for trouble.

ArcCaster;90982 said:
the thought of going through all that stuff is a bit overwhelming.
I handle this like processing, I do it all the time. Little and often. I have a bookmark, that wanders through the 'pile'. That way each layer gets dealt with sooner or later. It's an ongoing thing.