Will there be an unabridged audiobook for the 2015 Edition of Getting Things Done

apastuszak

Registered
I bought the paperback and the Kindle book. But I'd really like to have an audiobook, especially since Kindle+Audible now allow you to sync playback position between audiobook and ebook. I can read the book at night and listen to it in the car on the way to work.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
An audiobook of the new 2015 edition would be great. We've been getting lots of inquiries about that since the print version was published a few weeks ago.

Although the print version is published by Penguin, Simon & Schuster has the rights to the audiobook. We're hoping they will record the revised 2015 edition soon, but we haven't heard anything specific from them.

matsuru

Registered
have someone scan the book in pdf, OCR it and have pdf reader read for us.
Not perfect but doable.

dcbahr

Registered
As somebody who uses a speech synthesizer for ALL of my daily reading needs, I can assure you that a book put through an OCR process would be awful. Then again I read at a speed of about 450 words per minute, you get used to it after a while. All that having been said, it would be very nice to have a human read the book so as to get more of the feeling of the concept that is GTD. I would be happy to contact Simon & Schuster and really push for this because I am an audio learner by necessity. And let's be honest, what's the point of an abridged version of the book wherein the concepts need to be accumulated by reading it sequentially? At least, that would be the assumption for somebody just starting out with GTD principles, right? it would be like providing a book onalgebra but eliminating a section on how to do multiple step equations.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Good news, Simon & Schuster is moving forward with a recording of the new 2015 edition of Getting Things Done. I'll post more details in this thread about ETA as soon as I hear anything else.

GTD-Sweden

Registered
That is brilliant news! Not to put this unique material into audio would be great shame. I hope David will read it himself?

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
GTD-Sweden said:
That is brilliant news! Not to put this unique material into audio would be great shame. I hope David will read it himself?

Yes indeed, the plan is for David to read it.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
tomstubbs said:
Any update on the audiobook version? It is the gift giving season ... .

Hi Tom,

The latest I've heard is that Simon and Schuster has scheduled David to record by the end of December. I don't know how long after the recording until they release the audiobook. Very soon, we hope. But that may not be in time for giving holiday gifts.