Windows mobile - list manager PPC client with online access?

kordi

Registered
Hi,

I've been using GTD for almost 2 years now. My system is based on my PPC phone (samsung omnia). I use listpro for managing my lists and inbuilt outlook ppc client synced with google calendar for managing my appointments.

I am pretty happy with my system but it has one minor drawback that is driving me nuts as I can't find the solution.

Listpro is great piece of software but it lacks over the air syncing options. I would like to have web browser access to my list just as I have to my calendar using google.calnedar website.

However, what is important I am not interested in purely web based solutions. I want to have a client on my PPC that syncs with web based server from time to time. This means I want to have ability to view my lists being offline with my phone.

I tried using livemesh for syncing my listpro list but it appeared to be unreliable which is due to the simple fact that as long as listpro works on my phone and accesses the list, the list cannot be accessed by livemesh.

Any ideas how to solve this?

matsuru

Registered
try this http://tombo.sourceforge.jp/En/download.html

this program uses .txt file and display them in tree-view which for me, is a lists.

next, you have to find a way to sync the .txt file to the net. problem solved.

hope this helps.:)

------------
btw, it has pc desktop client too. get a sync software like "mobsync" to sync the .txt file thru activesync.

kordi

Registered
Nope ..... this is not what I am looking for. TXT can be easily synced with livemesh but it's too much trouble .... I need smth. that has web based interface that does not require downloading or uploading files manually. Remember the milk has smth. like this for ipod and blackberry but unfortunatelly not for PPC (they have some app for ppc which basically sucks).

You basically want me to exchange syncing one type of file into another .txt vs .clf (listpro files are recorded in this format).

BTW.
I am 99% sure that your app would have the same problem. Meaning that until the application is opened and running in the background there is no way of syncing the file as syncing app will not be able to access it.

PeterW

Registered
kordi;77732 said:
Hi,

However, what is important I am not interested in purely web based solutions. I want to have a client on my PPC that syncs with web based server from time to time. This means I want to have ability to view my lists being offline with my phone.

Any ideas how to solve this?

An iPhone would solve this! :D

Appigo Todo (and at least 2 or 3 other apps available for the iPhone) in conjunction with Toodledo in the cloud. Works a treat.

I know it might not be possible for you, but having made the jump from the WM platform last year onto iPhone, I am a very happy electronic GTDer. :cool:

matsuru

Registered
I have no syncing issues, u'll never know if u havent try

kordi;77746 said:
Nope ..... this is not what I am looking for. TXT can be easily synced with livemesh but it's too much trouble .... I need smth. that has web based interface that does not require downloading or uploading files manually. Remember the milk has smth. like this for ipod and blackberry but unfortunatelly not for PPC (they have some app for ppc which basically sucks).

You basically want me to exchange syncing one type of file into another .txt vs .clf (listpro files are recorded in this format).

BTW.
I am 99% sure that your app would have the same problem. Meaning that until the application is opened and running in the background there is no way of syncing the file as syncing app will not be able to access it.

I understand your concern.

I havent tried syncing thru the web. but syncing between my ppc and laptop have no issues, even with the program ON. just make sure you store each of your info on their own TXT files, and save before ur sync. :)

Anyway, i respect your choice of software. just trying to help out. Try and use whichever tools that suits your needs. then come back here and share with us.:D

kordi

Registered
PeterW;77804 said:
An iPhone would solve this! :D

Appigo Todo (and at least 2 or 3 other apps available for the iPhone) in conjunction with Toodledo in the cloud. Works a treat.

I know it might not be possible for you, but having made the jump from the WM platform last year onto iPhone, I am a very happy electronic GTDer. :cool:

I know iphone would solve this android would do the same trick with remember the milk app. The thing is that for me iphone is out of the question: lack of mass storage device app, media have to be recompressed for the iphone to be able to cope with them, lack of flash, camera that sucks etc.. at least it seems like opera mini will be avaible for iphone in the near future ...

I owned at the same time samsung omnia and iphone and it was pretty clear to me which phone is better for me (although if any of my friends ask me I recommend them iphone vs. any windows mobile device as it is more user friendly).

Matsuru:
Thanks for your idea it solved my problem partially. Right now I use my phone as mass storage device in order to be able to edit my list on my computer. Listpro has a PC app that allows me for comfortable list editing. When I am at how I just put the phone in the cradle and instantly have access to my lists from my PC.

This solution have one major flaw, however. If I loose my phone ... I loose all my lists. This is why I wanted a cloud solution, to be able to back up my lists. It is much safer option. Your idea will allow me to make a copy of my lists whenever I stick my phone into a cradle.

Still I would really like to have an online service working same way as google calendar.

BTW.
I know why PC sync works and online sync does not work. When you connect your phone with PC it shuts down the access to memory card and the program you use for lists looses the access to them. This is why the PC syncing program works without problems.