Wip

H

HoD

I use GTD from scratch that is not with the add-on for outlook.
My company does not allows implementation of 3rd party software.
I wrote my own macro;s like Waiting for, MakeAppointmentFromMail, etc.

I have two questions

1. Who is in the same spot as me and writing macro's to make things getting done?

2. There is a NA list, waiting for, etc but what to do with the Work In Progress like follow up, write email etc.
Does everybody who is working with GTD makin NA lists for everything or what?

R

ReBuild

For macro's you may wish to look at Micheal Hyatt's blog. He has a section on macro's:

http://michaelhyatt.blogs.com/workingsmart

You may find what you are looking for.

On your second question, NA's, waiting fors, @computer etc are the work in progress items. Therefore any action that takes longer than 2 minutes gets treated as a project. As David states you cannot do a project, only the next action.

Do all projects neeed NA etc that depends. Though as you implement the GTD process you may at the start wish to do so. It's a good habit to have and should keep you commited to the program. As you develop and trust the system you can amend it to meet your needs.

F

faskham

My company also forbids the installation of third party software.

My understanding is that the outlook add-on merely automatically configures outlook for use with the GTD system. I simply downloaded the PDF guide on how to do this manually, and configured outlook myself. If you can write macros I'm sure you won't have a problem manually configuring outlook using the guide.

(perhaps I'm missing something - does the add-on have more whistles and bells?)

DrJones1

Registered
Configuring Outlook manually

faskham said:
I simply downloaded the PDF guide on how to do this manually, and configured outlook myself.
Other than the 6-page "teaser" at http://www.davidco.com/pdfs/outlook_sample.pdf , I was unable to find the PDF you mentioned. Could you post the link to the document? I would like to try to DIY, or DIM in this case. I am new at macros for Outlook, but I am obsessive enough to keep trying/learning until I get a dangerous working knowledge.

Also, as part of my leaning, I would love to see examples of macros that others have developed for Outlook. HoD, would you consider posting yours?

Thanks!

mramm

Registered
DrJones1 said:
Other than the 6-page "teaser" at http://www.davidco.com/pdfs/outlook_sample.pdf , I was unable to find the PDF you mentioned. Could you post the link to the document? I would like to try to DIY, or DIM in this case. I am new at macros for Outlook, but I am obsessive enough to keep trying/learning until I get a dangerous working knowledge.

Also, as part of my leaning, I would love to see examples of macros that others have developed for Outlook. HoD, would you consider posting yours?

Thanks!

The PDF he is talking about does not cover any macro discussion. It basically sets up Views for your Tasks and TaskPad.

It is a $10 buy at the DavidCo site. When I used Outlook, it was well worth it. I do not anymore, so I am not utilizing it anymore. There is a chance that my new job might go to Outlook...that is the talk anyway.

Michael

GTD Wannabe

Registered
Hi there. I've been playing with Outlook and Macros for GTD for a few months now. I've posted them on my blog - go to http://gtdwannabe.blogspot.com/ and do a search for 'outlook macro' and you'll see numerous posts. Off the top of my head, these are the kind of macros that I've made:
  • macro to create a new na, with prompts (my NAs always start with a project name in [ ] at the beginning)
  • macro for creating a quick NA, with prompts (no project name)
  • macro to create a pipgog task from a current task (pigpog being like a mini project -all the nas are sequential and kept in the note portion of the task)
  • macro to move to the next pigpog task from current one (i.e., mark current task as complete, make new task as copy of current one, allow user to type in new NA)

Hope these help!