Writing out the NPM for every single project?

D

dwayneneckles

Hi Folks,

I'm back! after listening to the the audio on managing projects effectively, I am ready to follow the Natural Planning Model.

But just so I'm clear, am I supposed to make fill out the NPM form for every single of one of my projects?

Since I use Kinkless Gtd (OmniOutliner Pro) I was thinking to simply add a note to each of my projects that'll contain the Purpose/Vision/Brainstorming etc...

Anyway, whether you have 30 or 100 projects that you haven't written out the steps of the NPM,my concern is that this is a big task, however, if this what I'm supposed to do, I'll do it..

Just wanted to ask my GTD Colleagues if I'm on the right track..PLEASE feel free to post any sample files you have... :)

Thanks,

Dwayne

Barb

Registered
Doing it Your Way

I think the NPM is meant to be a guideline...to get you thinking. I do pretty much what you are proposing because I know I will actually keep that up.

If I were to fill out the NPM on every project, I'd be overwhelmed and just not do it.

Moral of the story: Keep it simple and you're more likely to stick with it!

D

dwayneneckles

Barb;46711 said:
I think the NPM is meant to be a guideline...to get you thinking. I do pretty much what you are proposing because I know I will actually keep that up.

If I were to fill out the NPM on every project, I'd be overwhelmed and just not do it.

Moral of the story: Keep it simple and you're more likely to stick with it!

Thanks Barb,

I say I'd need to write it down because its good documentation... It's worth a try...

But I didnt understand when you said, you already do what im proposing but that if u had to do it, you'd feel overwhelmed and not just do it...

I must have read it wrong because it seemed to negate each other

and yes, I will keep it simple..
Thanks

Dwayne

Foxman

Registered
i've started using the Tony Robbins RPM method in conjuction with GTD and it's proving excellent. I had around 150 active projects, after emptying out everything, and i ended up being so overwhelmed i became paralyzed.

Instead of writing down every 'more than one action item as a project' look at the bigger picture. eg you could have 'book resturant for anniversary meal' as a mini project with action steps such as - choose resturant, get number, list who is going, ect change this by going a level higher. Set the project at 'Have the best anniversary meal ever with everything running smoothly, that way book resturant is just a part in a bigger project, but one your more excited about and has more 'juice' for you to see it done properly.

kewms

Registered
dwayneneckles;46710 said:
But just so I'm clear, am I supposed to make fill out the NPM form for every single of one of my projects?
No. Given the GTD definition of a project, that would be fairly ridiculous, wouldn't it?

Do as much planning as you need to feel confident that you're ready to move forward. Review regularly.

Katherine

unstuffed

Registered
Hi Dwayne.

Listen to Katherine: she knows whereof she speaks. You should only do as much planning as you feel you need to do. After all, some of your projects will be small, or mundane, or things you've done before. You don't need to go through the whole kit and kaboodle with them. That would be a waste of your time, and time is a precious thing.

Also remember that, once you have the processes and underlying logic under control, you can tinker with the implementation and the fine details as much as you want. We all do it, and there's no such thing as the definitive GTD.

As an extra, I'd suggest you focus on getting the basics of the runway and 10,000 foot level fully under control first. Once you've got that, you can start exploring the higher levels as best suits your humour.

Hope that helps.