You have our permission to experiment

Brent

Registered
If you'd like to try a variation of the Getting Things Done system, you don't need to ask us first if it's "okay." You hereby have our permission to try it.

Speaking presumptuously on behalf of the forum,

Brent

tominperu

Registered
Brent;46509 said:
If you'd like to try a variation of the Getting Things Done system, you don't need to ask us first if it's "okay." You hereby have our permission to try it.

Brent

Do you need permission to be presumptuous?

Jamie Elis

Registered
I hesitate to jump in when tone is negative but

just in case someone new to the forum is amidst us, I think that rarely, if ever, does a poster ask in a literal sense for "permission" to modify GTD protocols. People ask "Is this okay?", to see if someone can, either by exprience or analysis, see flaws in their thinking or anticipate an undesired outcome. Or, to see if they have interpeted the "rules" of the game correctly. Some, having atttempted to expand or minimize the GTD as aspect of the strategy want to know if they stayed sufficiently within the algorithm for the rest of it to function. Some are just tryng to verify their translation of the method into action. I think we need to encourage all the tweaks, extensions, and uses of tools, however simple or complex because there are so many ways to perfom simiilar functions. Also, I much prefer to learn about a mistake by reading about someone else's than from doing it myself.

Brent

Registered
Jamie Elis;46540 said:
I much prefer to learn about a mistake by reading about someone else's than from doing it myself.

Why?

People are different. If a trick or variation doesn't work for someone else, does that mean it can't work for you?

Paul@Pittsburgh

Registered
Brent;46544 said:

Because this is a discussion forum perhaps?

Brent;46544 said:
People are different. If a trick or variation doesn't work for someone else, does that mean it can't work for you?

Of course that's true. At the same time you can learn from other people's experience too, and get ideas from others experience to try something new also.

Paul

ext555

Registered
from time to time there have been people that posted statements like " that's not true GTD " or "if you're not doing it this way you're really not doing GTD " or something to that effect .. not very often .. but it's happened. I was very glad to hear David talk along the lines of "using whatever pieces of GTD you can hold onto" on the " productive talk " podcasts with Merlin Mann on 43folders .

B

blaster151

Brent;46509 said:

Brent

You posted this about a minute after responding to my post, so I imagine that it's an indirect reaction to my question.

My question was a variation on "what works for you" . . . motivated by a desire to gain insight, hear what works for other people, and avoid wasting time with potential failure paths. My intent was clearly not to request permission to try my own variations: that would be silly. :)

unstuffed

Registered
blaster151;46551 said:
You posted this about a minute after responding to my post, so I imagine that it's an indirect reaction to my question.

My question was a variation on "what works for you" . . . motivated by a desire to gain insight, hear what works for other people, and avoid wasting time with potential failure paths. My intent was clearly not to request permission to try my own variations: that would be silly. :)

Hi Jeff: Illinois, right? I'm from Australia, just apropos of nothing.

I think it's pretty clear that this is indeed a discussion forum, as someone else has pointed out, and that what drives discussions are questions (and y'all are making "Whuh?" faces right now. Sorry, I'm wiffling).

I think if Brent takes it differently, well, that's Brent's business. I won't speculate as to why. But I will say that I for one find the forum interesting and helpful, for a lot of reasons.

Firstly, some questions have been ones that I've been struggling with, so I'm interested in possible solutions. Then, sometimes, I can offer suggestions of my own, which gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling. And finally, someone might ask a question that hadn't occurred to me: when that happens, it causes me to re-examine my own thinking, and sometimes get a deeper understanding of what's going on.

I'm not on this forum to be Miss Crankypants (I save that for other forums ;-)). Nor should anyone else be: we're here to learn and discuss and help each other. So if someone thinks any questions aren't worth asking, then that someone should just not read 'em.

Now everyone, group hug. ;-)

Brent

Registered
blaster151;46551 said:

It was not. It was a response to a number of posts I've seen around here; I'd been planning to write my post for about a week.