Your Things 3 Projects setup

Tooth-saw

Registered
I'am using Things 3 for my GTD setup (todo, projects, waiting for, recurring). Works great but I'am having trouble getting my 'Projects' in order and overview my next actions. Can you share your Things 3 'Projects' setup for inspiration?

nickmay

Learning and practicing, and then practicing more
A lot of people use a lot of different tools, so it may be awhile for someone who uses Things 3 specifically comes along. What troubles are you having? How long have you been using GTD? Is it just a software issue of getting your projects list and your Next Actions to display? Could you share a screenshot of what issues you're having? (No promises I can fix anything)

mcogilvie

Registered
I'am using Things 3 for my GTD setup (todo, projects, waiting for, recurring). Works great but I'am having trouble getting my 'Projects' in order and overview my next actions. Can you share your Things 3 'Projects' setup for inspiration?
I do use Things but there are many ways to use it for GTD. I’m in the middle of simplifying my setup, so right now work and personal are set up a bit differently. The important thing is how you think you should set it up, and whether that way works for you. So please tell us how you’ve got Things set up, what’s going wrong, and what’s right.

FocusGuy

Registered
@Tooth-saw There are 2 way of setting things for GTD
One is to set project as context eg create projects as @Call, @Computer then use tags as project name. This is the << classical way >> does. Buy the gtd set up from DAC which is great for this. The secont way is to make areas (or not) eg folders and then creat projects. You may have professionnal and personnal at the beginning and use tags as contexts. So you tag only but the next action. It was my way and the classical set up. It is more convenient whan you have many projects and many datas. Hope that's answer to the question and helps.

Last edited:

MikeyBus

Registered
Hi @Tooth-saw! I have been using Things 3 since 2018 and have experimented with different ways of setting it up. To @FocusGuy‘s point, the ”GTD Classic” setup as outlined in the fantastic Things 3 Setup Guide from DAC is an excellent option for using things in the traditional GTD way (i.e. utilizing ”Projects” in Things as next actions lists based on Contexts). For me, I found that Things’ built-in way of organizing projects and tasks by Area meshes with how my brain naturally wants to categorize things. So I have had success with that set up for a while now. Below is a screen shot of my current setup if it helps. Remember, there is no “right” way to set up your system except the way that works for you. But I, too, find inspiration from observing others’ implementations so take or leave whatever helps you.

I‘ve created 8 Areas (Work, Development, Finances, Health, Home, Leisure, Relationships, and Travel) that house my projects and next actions. If I have a project related to an area, I’ll create that project within the area and ensure that it has at least one next action and/or waiting for. Otherwise, the project gets set to Someday until I am ready to activate it again — this keeps my sidebar from getting too crowded. For the record, I will not always have current projects for every area but there may be several single actions within the area itself. I’ll use Tags for contexts and the ones I currently use are Agendas, At Computer, At Home, At Office, At Phone, Errands, Read/Review and Waiting For.

Peter Akkies (peterakkies.net) has a very good Things 3 training course. He also posts free content on YouTube which is a great place to start if you’re interested in working with Culture Code’s suggested setup.

Let me know if you have any questions and how your setup is coming along!

Also, shout out to @mcogilvie for the awesome suggestion on handling my remote workshop facilitation projects using start/due dates which has been working out terrifically!

Attachments

• DB11D6DC-7F8A-44A9-B144-946524929969.png
    DB11D6DC-7F8A-44A9-B144-946524929969.png
    415.4 KB · Views: 32

Dmitry Kultaev

Registered
CAD5C393-2CC8-4B3D-8EBF-F00C66BEFF77.jpegI'am using Things 3 for my GTD setup (todo, projects, waiting for, recurring). Works great but I'am having trouble getting my 'Projects' in order and overview my next actions. Can you share your Things 3 'Projects' setup for inspiration?
I started from using Things Projects functionality as Projects and tags for contexts. But as volume grows I found 2 main issues:
1) Too much clicking assigning both project and contexts tag to actions
2) getting overview of contexts actions, e. g. to filter calls I needed to select both actions list and filter

All those created “mental tool barrier” for day to day usage. Then I tried classic setup described by Kelly to use Things projects for lists > and surprisingly it works really well so far. I was skeptical not having “tool link” of next action to project, but simplicity and speed of use simple lists with fast search overcome that fully. Here’s snapshot of my project buckets.

I keep few tags like finance and health, but their current number never goes above 5-6.