Zen to Done approach

Paola52

Registered
I read through Zen to Done approach based on GTD. It suggets to start by choosing the most important action and then focus on it. I like this approach because it allows me to (a) do the most important stuff first and (b) have a feeling of fulfillment early in the day.

My question is what is the best way to choose the #1 action? I think that the best way is to choose by reading the project list (that is why it should be complete). On the other hand sometimes there're one-step important actions on the @action lists.

If you use ZTD, what method do you use?

Defibaugh

Registered
Paola52;87710 said:
I think that the best way is to choose by reading the project list (that is why it should be complete). On the other hand sometimes there're one-step important actions on the @action lists.

It depends on what context you can work in. If you are on the bus with internet access (@anywhere, @internet) you have options but the highest priority project (the one that has been nagging you) might have to wait until you are @work. The project list is a good "this is my focus this week" list but the action lists tell you what you can focus on at a particular moment (dependent on your context).

Zen To Done works well for some jobs but it kind of failed me on one point: priorities. My priorities change by the hour depending on who is yelling at me and I frequently found myself not getting the "high priority" task done because the world had changed between morning coffee and lunch. I had a similar problem with the Big Rock approach (Franklin Covey, I think). Sometimes I have a very high priority action item or project but just don't have the energy to focus on it at that moment. Priorities are obvious to me after processing my inbox and scanning my currently available contexts and I never take the time to write them down.

TesTeq

Registered
GTD vs. ZTD.

Paola52;87710 said:
I read through Zen to Done approach based on GTD.

I do not think that both - David Allen (GTD) and Leo Babauta (ZTD) - would agree that ZTD approach is based on GTD.

There are some elements of GTD in ZTD but these elements were also known before GTD.

GTD is a complete, strategic approach to deal with your life while ZTD is a very useful tactical approach to deal with your stuff.