About "E-mail topic - should it be focused on at the beginning of trying to implement GTD or not

Here quoted is 2 parts of an e-mail extract I sent to persons John F "@johnf (from a e-mail which had three replies between us) @John Forrister

"
"I myself Tim don't know anyone who ignores e-mail - unless they are person who is anti-tech.

I myself - kinds of person who probably gets 10 - 20 items in my inbox a day, from varying outlets.

But I have certain subscription outlet company's 0 which I seem to really never open the mail too regularly - but might just keep seeing them send mail and not open it.

over again "clarifying the channel to zero every 24-48 hours." - yeah thats what I saw in the type of PDF you linked on website about e-mail PDF document - saying recommendation should try to keep your inbox empty

Thanks.

The reason I was basically writing about this was because myself Tim.

I had thought when I saw the PDF doc e-mail flyer - I could yeah try to focus on trying to organise my e-mail right now
But then I thought the amount of items I have in inbox for example - more than 1000 since inbox was created
- it would take really long time

and what saw on PDF about trying create folders about mail - would seem like it wouldn't be best time effective thing for myself to focus on, but that I should try to focus on something more key than e-mail - understand?

“John replied

mention the 1,000 emails, and get ideas about how others handle backlog as a project."

I myself Tim, went back to the e-mail where I first saw it [https://gettingthingsdone.com/free-articles/] this sheet John sent me, where one of the pdfs is about e-mail.

The reason for making this post right now is because John gave me the idea about it - I could get ideas from others in the group about the topic of e-mail (if it is actually worth the time trying to use and organize) after I basically wrote I looked over the email PDF and was sort of thinking im not sure how beneficial it would be for myself to try to work on e-mail whilst I am still trying to go through the fundamentals of the paper back and focus on basics (which trying to do on thread I made about reading the book).

So it would be helpful to myself if other users on this forum gave there views about myself circumstance writing this.

Tag @gtdstudente @Cor
@Mrs-Polifax
@dtj

:(
"ST

gtdstudente

Registered
Here quoted is 2 parts of an e-mail extract I sent to persons John F "@johnf (from a e-mail which had three replies between us) @John Forrister

"
"I myself Tim don't know anyone who ignores e-mail - unless they are person who is anti-tech.

I myself - kinds of person who probably gets 10 - 20 items in my inbox a day, from varying outlets.

But I have certain subscription outlet company's 0 which I seem to really never open the mail too regularly - but might just keep seeing them send mail and not open it.

over again "clarifying the channel to zero every 24-48 hours." - yeah thats what I saw in the type of PDF you linked on website about e-mail PDF document - saying recommendation should try to keep your inbox empty

Thanks.

The reason I was basically writing about this was because myself Tim.

I had thought when I saw the PDF doc e-mail flyer - I could yeah try to focus on trying to organise my e-mail right now
But then I thought the amount of items I have in inbox for example - more than 1000 since inbox was created
- it would take really long time

and what saw on PDF about trying create folders about mail - would seem like it wouldn't be best time effective thing for myself to focus on, but that I should try to focus on something more key than e-mail - understand?

“John replied

mention the 1,000 emails, and get ideas about how others handle backlog as a project."

I myself Tim, went back to the e-mail where I first saw it [https://gettingthingsdone.com/free-articles/] this sheet John sent me, where one of the pdfs is about e-mail.

The reason for making this post right now is because John gave me the idea about it - I could get ideas from others in the group about the topic of e-mail (if it is actually worth the time trying to use and organize) after I basically wrote I looked over the email PDF and was sort of thinking im not sure how beneficial it would be for myself to try to work on e-mail whilst I am still trying to go through the fundamentals of the paper back and focus on basics (which trying to do on thread I made about reading the book).

So it would be helpful to myself if other users on this forum gave there views about myself circumstance writing this.

Tag @gtdstudente @Cor
@Mrs-Polifax
@dtj

:(
"ST
TimBourne,

First, it was very kind of John to send you what seems to might have been a personal email, even though it might be inappropriate to comment on an email that was meant to be between the two, however, it sounds like the very kind John offered you some very good GTD tips

Cleaning out the email first would perhaps be first and foremost if that is where the majority of your life commitments are to be found

Likewise, regarding your GTD journey in general, perhaps just focusing on continuously to clean 'stuff' is usually always a very productive GTD action?

From a prior post, in terms of writing out random thoughts, in might be better in the beginning to use a notebook to capture thoughts so that you will have your all of those inputs captured in one trusted notebook and because you would have them all captured in your one trusted notebook it might help you be more productive instead of the sense of urgency to process that an inbox with single pieces of paper with single thoughts might seem to impose . . . as you see fit

Hope the that helps and remember building a personal GTD system can require time and patience, especially with oneself

Your doing a great job and hope you find what has been expressed as helpful as you see fit

Good job

Please ask for any clarification(s)

Thank you

Last edited:

Livtally

Registered
Since your e-mail has your attention but you are wondering whether completely processing your inbox to zero would be a good use of your current time and energy, perhaps “Process e-mail backlog” would be an excellent candidate for a Someday/Maybe project. As you are learning to implement GTD, you could focus instead on developing an effective system for processing new incoming inputs that arrive via e-mail and which are found in your most recent e-mail messages; these messages likely represent the majority of commitments still most relevant to your current life. When the habit of clarifying your e-mail to zero every 24-48 hours is established, then you can decide whether it is worthwhile to apply your new system to those older messages, breaking the project of processing many old e-mails into a series of manageable next actions (e.g., process 25 old e-mails OR process old e-mails for 15 minutes OR process e-mails from August 2023).

Meanwhile, you might move your older e-mails into a separate folder or label so they are not in your inbox anymore consuming everyday mental bandwidth. Most e-mail programs allow you to search for e-mails older than a specific date. (For example, in Gmail, you can enter “before:YYYY/MM/DD” into the search bar; search the Internet for directions specific to your e-mail service.) Give these older messages a meaningful label like “Backlog” or “Before DATE” or “Old E-mails” and archive them. Then make clearing your inbox of the more recent inputs that remain (within the last 30 or 60 or 90 days or whatever interval feels comfortable for you) one of your current projects.

For subscriptions you find you rarely open (newsletters, promotional materials, etc.), your options include:

1. Unsubscribe.

2. Commit to clarifying those messages alongside other new incoming e-mails in your inbox going forward (identify any next actions, then archive the message as reference or project support material or delete).

3. Filter those messages into a dedicated channel such that they bypass your main inbox. This is a form of “planned ignoring” for messages that often give you the option of taking an action but rarely truly require any action from you. You could make one folder or label that collects all such “Subscriptions/Newsletters” or route messages into separate folders/labels for smaller categories (Hobbies, Tech Tips, Personal Finance, Community Events, etc.) or even create dedicated labels/folders for “Newsletter A,” “Store B,” and “Organization C.” Then you can review the messages these filters collect more occasionally than the messages in your primary inbox without them clogging up your system. You may miss a chance to save 30% on something during a limited-time sale, but you will gain overall peace of mind! (Alternatively, if never missing a sale at Store X is important to you, don’t filter Store X’s messages out of your primary inbox.)

Since your e-mail has your attention but you are wondering whether completely processing your inbox to zero would be a good use of your current time and energy, perhaps “Process e-mail backlog” would be an excellent candidate for a Someday/Maybe project. As you are learning to implement GTD, you could focus instead on developing an effective system for processing new incoming inputs that arrive via e-mail and which are found in your most recent e-mail messages; these messages likely represent the majority of commitments still most relevant to your current life. When the habit of clarifying your e-mail to zero every 24-48 hours is established, then you can decide whether it is worthwhile to apply your new system to those older messages, breaking the project of processing many old e-mails into a series of manageable next actions (e.g., process 25 old e-mails OR process old e-mails for 15 minutes OR process e-mails from August 2023).

Meanwhile, you might move your older e-mails into a separate folder or label so they are not in your inbox anymore consuming everyday mental bandwidth. Most e-mail programs allow you to search for e-mails older than a specific date. (For example, in Gmail, you can enter “before:YYYY/MM/DD” into the search bar; search the Internet for directions specific to your e-mail service.) Give these older messages a meaningful label like “Backlog” or “Before DATE” or “Old E-mails” and archive them. Then make clearing your inbox of the more recent inputs that remain (within the last 30 or 60 or 90 days or whatever interval feels comfortable for you) one of your current projects.

For subscriptions you find you rarely open (newsletters, promotional materials, etc.), your options include:

1. Unsubscribe.

2. Commit to clarifying those messages alongside other new incoming e-mails in your inbox going forward (identify any next actions, then archive the message as reference or project support material or delete).

3. Filter those messages into a dedicated channel such that they bypass your main inbox. This is a form of “planned ignoring” for messages that often give you the option of taking an action but rarely truly require any action from you. You could make one folder or label that collects all such “Subscriptions/Newsletters” or route messages into separate folders/labels for smaller categories (Hobbies, Tech Tips, Personal Finance, Community Events, etc.) or even create dedicated labels/folders for “Newsletter A,” “Store B,” and “Organization C.” Then you can review the messages these filters collect more occasionally than the messages in your primary inbox without them clogging up your system. You may miss a chance to save 30% on something during a limited-time sale, but you will gain overall peace of mind! (Alternatively, if never missing a sale at Store X is important to you, don’t filter Store X’s messages out of your primary inbox.)
ITM
I tried to read over your message

Yeah I could start by unsubscribing from types of mailers which don't actually open - that is a habit - I don't open all the email I get, I am subscribed to multiple types of mailers

I would need to come back to this message to get everything out of it
ST

TimBourne,

First, it was very kind of John to send you what seems to might have been a personal email, even though it might be inappropriate to comment on an email that was meant to be between the two, however, it sounds like the very kind John offered you some very good GTD tips

Cleaning out the email first would perhaps be first and foremost if that is where the majority of your life commitments are to be found

Likewise, regarding your GTD journey in general, perhaps just focusing on continuously to clean 'stuff' is usually always a very productive GTD action?

From a prior post, in terms of writing out random thoughts, in might be better in the beginning to use a notebook to capture thoughts so that you will have your all of those inputs captured in one trusted notebook and because you would have them all captured in your one trusted notebook it might help you be more productive instead of the sense of urgency to process that an inbox with single pieces of paper with single thoughts might seem to impose . . . as you see fit

Hope the that helps and remember building a personal GTD system can require time and patience, especially with oneself

Your doing a great job and hope you find what has been expressed as helpful as you see fit

Good job

Please ask for any clarification(s)

Thank you
ITM

"I scanned over this message in morning before part time job
I have symptoms of schizophrenia
Find reading difficult

"writing out random thoughts, in might be better in the beginning to use a notebook to capture thoughts so that you will have your all of those inputs captured in one trusted notebook " this was related - after had e-mail with John F about E-mail , I created a new blank email to him about the topic of my note book or pages use for capturing thinking it is bad e.g. showed an image of 3/4 note books saying feel dis organised with way I am writing lists and time stamps , maybe using front back pages - maybe not having handwriting all eligible all the time (so not able to read what originally trying to write - no joke :(

maybe @gtdstudente you are a cue and would motivate me to take action if reply a second time

ST

gtdstudente

Registered
ITM

"I scanned over this message in morning before part time job
I have symptoms of schizophrenia
Find reading difficult

"writing out random thoughts, in might be better in the beginning to use a notebook to capture thoughts so that you will have your all of those inputs captured in one trusted notebook " this was related - after had e-mail with John F about E-mail , I created a new blank email to him about the topic of my note book or pages use for capturing thinking it is bad e.g. showed an image of 3/4 note books saying feel dis organised with way I am writing lists and time stamps , maybe using front back pages - maybe not having handwriting all eligible all the time (so not able to read what originally trying to write - no joke :(

maybe @gtdstudente you are a cue and would motivate me to take action if reply a second time

ST
TimBourne,

Sorry for your challenges . . . remember we all have challenges to some degree or another -- the Emotions and the Imagination has its way of unravelling even the 'best of the best' in this Vale of Tears . . . life can be quite perplexing . . . all we can do is our best and usually the slower the better so each step comes with it a reasonable degree of certainty

When I am 'feeling unhinged' I go slower and seek more and more counsel from more and more people before doing things that can have out of control consequences

To avoid becoming confused from different sources of counsel, I tend to try and keep the concerning questions very narrow and think about how the reply would actually fit in my life because I will have to be maturely responsible for using or not using any feedback

I remain open to those who have my best interest at heart: Good Family, Good Friends, Good Healthcare Professionals, Good Support Groups, etc.

If you have a good current healthcare counselor or seeking a good healthcare counselor you are encouraged to share this reply with and see what your healthcare professional has to say about writing things out in a journal . . . I would be patient with myself and others by reminding myself that others and myself can only do so much and remind myself that the divine Physician, Christ Jesus, is the Way, the Truth, and the Light and truly the only one who knows me better than even I know me

Meanwhile, please continue being patient with yourself, avoid isolation, lots of walking, healthy eating, early to bed, good people, journal writing, ect. all as you see fit?

Avoid any discouragement to the best of your ability . . . your doing a good job

All of the above is what I freely do and you are encouraged to freely do as you see fit without ever harming yourself or others because God said we have to love others as we love ourselves for the love of God especially on All Saints Day :) !

TimBourne,

Sorry for your challenges . . . remember we all have challenges to some degree or another -- the Emotions and the Imagination has its way of unravelling even the 'best of the best' in this Vale of Tears . . . life can be quite perplexing . . . all we can do is our best and usually the slower the better so each step comes with it a reasonable degree of certainty

When I am 'feeling unhinged' I go slower and seek more and more counsel from more and more people before doing things that can have out of control consequences

To avoid becoming confused from different sources of counsel, I tend to try and keep the concerning questions very narrow and think about how the reply would actually fit in my life because I will have to be maturely responsible for using or not using any feedback

I remain open to those who have my best interest at heart: Good Family, Good Friends, Good Healthcare Professionals, Good Support Groups, etc.

If you have a good current healthcare counselor or seeking a good healthcare counselor you are encouraged to share this reply with and see what your healthcare professional has to say about writing things out in a journal . . . I would be patient with myself and others by reminding myself that others and myself can only do so much and remind myself that the divine Physician, Christ Jesus, is the Way, the Truth, and the Light and truly the only one who knows me better than even I know me

Meanwhile, please continue being patient with yourself, avoid isolation, lots of walking, healthy eating, early to bed, good people, journal writing, ect. all as you see fit?

Avoid any discouragement to the best of your ability . . . your doing a good job

All of the above is what I freely do and you are encouraged to freely do as you see fit without ever harming yourself or others because God said we have to love others as we love ourselves for the love of God especially on All Saints Day :) !

ITM

I scanned over your writing here

where maybe I should be reading the GTD (where made post about documenting myself reading the book

Yes I basically do all those healthy things you wrote/listed above such as healthy eating "I changed my diet and saw relief in my bowel symptom...

I am not sure my family or the medical industry can help myself

Thats why myself Tim was attracted to GTD - the book GTD - because I have depression and dark thoughts, have a lack of pleasure in doing things basically , I feel apathic - since a specific point in time (especially since I got a set of health symptoms happen to me when I got a V@x at 16 years and bowel symptom happened

"I believe in spirituality, spiritual practice, I am not a Christian"

ST :(

15 10

"I am a Muslim, a hindu, Christian and a jew" Ghandi

Had other words back to this like - I wouldn't consider myself to have any specific mental illness or diagnosis, but that all mental illness is caused by physical imbalance in body

In my case it is because of mercury

"Have you seen the Autism v@x documentaries I wonder?
Herd of dr buttar
or Dr andy cutler? Chelation doctors

15 12 ST

1. Unsubscribe.

ITM " x2

Yesterday I just basically scanned over my e-mail

and unsubscribed from 2 example emails

I believe one of them was maybe called "health means" related to persons dr buttar

and I unsubscribed from another one - am actually not sure what was the name now?

I was thinking to myself I am actually not completely sure myself - if do want to un subscribe from more - because even though I don't look at emails from certain providers everyday or week there will actually be a certain amount of time where might want to do something...

Like might want do something like scan or read over the E-mails once in a while like once a month for example - that's what I might do
If its something like a company with email that sometimes trying to sell something, or just share certain news

ST

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
I was thinking to myself I am actually not completely sure myself - if do want to un subscribe from more - because even though I don't look at emails from certain providers everyday or week there will actually be a certain amount of time where might want to do something...

When you're ready, you could unsubscribe from the emails you don't want to keep and delete them. You could create an email folder for each sender whose emails you might want to keep, and you could move the emails you might want to keep into these folders. You could enter on your Someday-Maybe list that you might want to unsubscribe from these senders and delete their emails someday. You could do a periodic review of your Someday-Maybe list to review and follow up on this.

Last edited:
"ITM x 2

Right
I am not sure this would be right thing to do in this moment

Not sure if persons saw last post I made - for a reason?"ST

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
I am not sure this would be right thing to do in this moment

Yes, sometimes it's not clear what is the right thing to do in this moment. I've read here in the GTD Forum that as we get our "stuff" off our minds and into a trusted system, we begin to become more intuitive about what is the right thing for us to do in this moment. It appears to take practice.

I hope I will not be intruding by mentioning this: I believe I read above that you developed a physical illness and/or mental disability due to receiving mercury in a medication. I'm not sure I have that right, and I apologize if I'm mixed up about this. I'm very sorry to hear about these challenges. It must have been a shock to suddenly have this happen to you. This certainly could make things difficult. I have heard of chelation in regard to removing toxic heavy metals. I hope you are receiving the treatment and help you need.

Acceptance of your feelings about this, whatever they are, may give you the strength and resiliance to weather this difficulty better as you are recovering. Here's a link to a teeny tiny email course I recommend called "Get Bigger than What's Bugging You." If you want to give it a try, click the link and follow the directions: https://focusingresources.com/gbe-signup-page/

Also, taking action, even the smallest step, can help you generate the energy to move forward. I hear that you're reading one of David Allen's books. Me, too. I'm reading his revised GTD book.

Best wishes!

Last edited:
Yes, sometimes it's not clear what is the right thing to do in this moment. I've read here in the GTD Forum that as we get our "stuff" off our minds and into a trusted system, we begin to become more intuitive about what is the right thing for us to do in this moment. It appears to take practice.

I hope I will not be intruding by mentioning this: I believe I read above that you developed a physical illness and/or mental disability due to receiving mercury in a medication. I'm not sure I have that right, and I apologize if I'm mixed up about this. I'm very sorry to hear about these challenges. It must have been a shock to suddenly have this happen to you. This certainly could make things difficult. I have heard of chelation in regard to removing toxic heavy metals. I hope you are receiving the treatment and help you need.

Acceptance of your feelings about this, whatever they are, may give you the strength and resiliance to weather this difficulty better as you are recovering. Here's a link to a teeny tiny email course I recommend called "Get Bigger than What's Bugging You." If you want to give it a try, click the link and follow the directions: https://focusingresources.com/gbe-signup-page/

Also, taking action, even the smallest step, can help you generate the energy to move forward. I hear that you're reading one of David Allen's books. Me, too. I'm reading his revised GTD book.

Best wishes!
"ITM I am not sure its worth myself doing the E-mail course

I developed Autism ASD after I recieved V@ccination in past (which contains mercury. People with Autism cannot detox mercury like normal people - which is why people regress into becoming autistic after getting V@ccinated. I can show you evidence to prove this :( ST

Best wishes!

ITM

What would be focused action to do while on hold literally?

Reply back to.

"intuitive about what is the right thing for us to do in this moment.

even the smallest step, can help you generate the energy.

teeny tiny email course." written above.

the persons user in this post message – didn’t write more thoughts about what originally writing about e-mail on this forum or the book about e-mail like other user gave.

he gives something “which says small course” so yeah what would be harm doing it.

it says the e-mail of this ecourse is in process of being delivered...."

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
I developed Autism ASD after I recieved V@ccination in past (which contains mercury. People with Autism cannot detox mercury like normal people - which is why people regress into becoming autistic after getting V@ccinated. I can show you evidence to prove this :( ST

Thanks for explaining that people with autism cannot detox mecury like "normal" people. I looked a bit into the link between mercury exposure and ASD, and this review of the literature from 2016 says: "The preponderance of the evidence indicates that mercury exposure is causal and/or contributory in ASD."

Thanks for explaining that people with autism cannot detox mecury like "normal" people. I looked a bit into the link between mercury exposure and ASD, and this review of the literature from 2016 says: "The preponderance of the evidence indicates that mercury exposure is causal and/or contributory in ASD."

ITM

yeah pud med I think is supposed be a good organization for studies

I mean there is lot more evidence than just what you linked here.

I could share more links with yourself

Such as documentaries

and primary sources of evidence

But I am not sure if it is worth it

There is also lots of propaganda in mainstream media

There has also been information/content which has been censored or taken down - just like literally certain documentaries banned in certain countries

"explaining that people with autism cannot detox mercury like "normal" people. I"
It depends entirely on the persons genetics
This is why there is a spectrum of autism - that is what dr buttar said
the level of autism or severity of symptoms depends on how toxic the person is , or how hard he cannot detox mercury like a normal person

"ST @ 20 06

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
"explaining that people with autism cannot detox mercury like "normal" people. I"
It depends entirely on the persons genetics
This is why there is a spectrum of autism - that is what dr buttar said
the level of autism or severity of symptoms depends on how toxic the person is , or how hard he cannot detox mercury like a normal person

Thanks for sharing this. Apparently, due to your genetics, you will need help detoxifying your body from the mercury of that vaccination, and you will need to be very careful to avoid further exposure to mercury.

I am sorry. Challenges can sometimes be very hard. If you like, you can request the teeny tiny email course I recommended above. It can help you be gentle and kind and accepting with yourself as you cope with these sometimes difficult challenges.

I like your idea of reading David Allen's books and learning to set up a GTD system. I think GTD could be a great help to any of us in developing the clarity and organization and peace of mind to enjoy life more and especially to cope with challenges.

I believe the first steps you have decided to take are to continue to read David Allen's books and to keep this log of whatever has your attention. Congratulations on your decision to start taking these actions!

Action = Energy = Aliveness

Very best wishes on your GTD journey!

Please let's keep the discussion focused on the GTD methodology. Thanks.
ITM
Hi I did not realise that there were rules to this fourm?
Are there rules?
"keep the discussion focused on the GTD methodology" is that the only rule there is here?
Is that the reason why last post here has been deleted?

Sorry?
Thanks

Best wishes!
Hi
Polifax

I - here is uploaded a type of PDF with PDF drawn highlights of the PDF(from what I initially went over from that PDF in probably ten minutes time).

Then after that - I went with physical type of reading a4 planner note book - and went and tried to jot over some key points
such as author has 35 years experiencing of teaching the type of thing she is advertising.
What else? getting bigger - type of thing idea shared in this PDF is a habitual concept using cues - to try bring awareness to your body/emotions when you notice negativity example, the key is bringing awareness so you can get bigger over it.
*these things written without glancing at notes*

"Myself Tim had background voice note thinking - while looking at this PDF - that it seems a bit small or easy - too easy for myself at what now 23 years? reading this type of PDF? For example GTD book text is more detailed harder reading than this - why is a user on allens forum recommending this really small course?

*learning *focusing

I have no idea who the author is who did this E course or PDF book.
Why specifically recommending her I wonder? You know her? read other resources of hers.

I mean when - was on the web page for signing up for this course there was a video attached by author of video - maybe should have watched that or searched about this author. Or should I have searched about company focusing resources?

-Is it worth myself printing a type of PDF a4 sheet about key lesson shared in this 1 PDF? No because I feel like haven't organized myself with a physical filling system or tickler filling system like Allen recommends yet

What else?
That myself Tim thinks instead of studying instead of focusing resources organization I could be better off "doing a train of work
where I am trying to increase my comprehension

what else? ST

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
Thanks for checking out that teeny tiny course. I agree that your own inner knowing will guide you best to what is right for you. For instance, you mention trying to increase your comprehesion. Let's converse here about how things in our lives are related to GTD. Is there anything you are reading about in David Allen's books that you would like to discuss here?