About "E-mail topic - should it be focused on at the beginning of trying to implement GTD or not

Not sure which guides Mrs Polifax shared, but I am referring to the GTD Setup Guides from The David Allen Company:

GTD Setup Guides

If you don't have access, they can be bought here:

GTD Store

My pace... Well, I do engage in some quick conversations, but I don't always have time for the more time consuming - and some people are more impatient than others...
Yeah those were the same guides which polifax hyper linked to myself- so maybe make sense for myself to get the cheap Asana guide you mentioned instead of some three hundred dollar course with my current problems of being unsuccessful in life' S

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
Thanks so much @René Lie for this clarification. I have some questions, if you have time. Heres' one:

@ Next Actions List(s) - Create a folder called "Action" or "Action support", depending on whether you regard the email as an action reminder ("Action") or support material for an entry in your list manager ("Action support"). I use the latter approach
If you regard this email as an action reminder, this means that you are using your emails to remind you of actions you need to do rather than (or in addition to) using your GTD Lists to remind you, is that right? It sounds like you prefer to have only one place to go to be reminded of actions.

Let's say you receive an email from Joe Blow about Project XYZ, saying everything is ready to go, and the widgets can now be ordered. You put this email into your email Action Support folder because you believe this is action support material for an entry into your list manager. That would be an entry into your Next Actions List, wouldn't it? e.g.,"Order widgets for Project XYZ." (Possibly also it is an entry into Project support material in your list manager that lists the next steps for the Project.)

Let's say you are now entering this into your list manager. How would you do that, step by step? I suppose it would depend on your list manager, but just use yours. Do you need to open two windows, one for email and one for your list manager, and copy and paste the information? Do you reference the email in some way, or do you enter the action without reference to the email source? How/when do you know what to do with that Joe Blow email?

Thanks,

Emily

PS In further reviewing this, I wonder whether this email would go into your project support to start with because it relates to a project. The only items in your action support would be single-action items, those that are not part of projects. Is that right?

Last edited:
Since your e-mail has your attention but you are wondering whether completely processing your inbox to zero would be a good use of your current time and energy, perhaps “Process e-mail backlog” would be an excellent candidate for a Someday/Maybe project. As you are learning to implement GTD, you could focus instead on developing an effective system for processing new incoming inputs that arrive via e-mail and which are found in your most recent e-mail messages; these messages likely represent the majority of commitments still most relevant to your current life. When the habit of clarifying your e-mail to zero every 24-48 hours is established, then you can decide whether it is worthwhile to apply your new system to those older messages, breaking the project of processing many old e-mails into a series of manageable next actions (e.g., process 25 old e-mails OR process old e-mails for 15 minutes OR process e-mails from August 2023).

Meanwhile, you might move your older e-mails into a separate folder or label so they are not in your inbox anymore consuming everyday mental bandwidth. Most e-mail programs allow you to search for e-mails older than a specific date. (For example, in Gmail, you can enter “before:YYYY/MM/DD” into the search bar; search the Internet for directions specific to your e-mail service.) Give these older messages a meaningful label like “Backlog” or “Before DATE” or “Old E-mails” and archive them. Then make clearing your inbox of the more recent inputs that remain (within the last 30 or 60 or 90 days or whatever interval feels comfortable for you) one of your current projects.

For subscriptions you find you rarely open (newsletters, promotional materials, etc.), your options include:

1. Unsubscribe.

2. Commit to clarifying those messages alongside other new incoming e-mails in your inbox going forward (identify any next actions, then archive the message as reference or project support material or delete).

3. Filter those messages into a dedicated channel such that they bypass your main inbox. This is a form of “planned ignoring” for messages that often give you the option of taking an action but rarely truly require any action from you. You could make one folder or label that collects all such “Subscriptions/Newsletters” or route messages into separate folders/labels for smaller categories (Hobbies, Tech Tips, Personal Finance, Community Events, etc.) or even create dedicated labels/folders for “Newsletter A,” “Store B,” and “Organization C.” Then you can review the messages these filters collect more occasionally than the messages in your primary inbox without them clogging up your system. You may miss a chance to save 30% on something during a limited-time sale, but you will gain overall peace of mind! (Alternatively, if never missing a sale at Store X is important to you, don’t filter Store X’s messages out of your primary inbox.)

ITM

1707907707336.png

please see this print screen

of user @Livtally original message with instructions

says to move older e-mails more than 30 days ago into a different "file" or "label" - and I am not sure how do you do this so that you can do this "all in one go" instead of something - having manually move 100 mail per page over (when I have over what 1 000 e-mails 10000 e-mails probably?

Would it be better if I create a back log "file main inbox section on g-mail" or "label"
Because I'm not sure - when made another label "backlog" and paste stuff into it - it seems to just "copy" the e-mails and not "cutt" them - you understand - so makes it so end up with duplicate e-mails I think?

I'm not sure how active livtally is ? maybe doesn't use fourm much hence didn't respond

maybe more recent persons @Mrs-Polifax or @René Lie or even @mksilk2 could help here - just share thoughts about what wrote in my thread (of failed attempt following livtally instructions of creating an e-mail system -where did she get these instructions from? do other users have different instructions I could use to set up an e-mail system?

STN
3typos

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
@TimBourne

You say that you have perhaps about 10,000 emails in your email inbox. I believe you are wondering what to do with them to get your inbox emails down to zero. If you know that you do not need your backlog of emails, you can delete them. If you think you might need some or all of them, you can archive them.

Archiving them means keeping them but moving them out of your inbox to a pre-existing folder in your email program. In my email program, that folder is called "Archive." You can try moving several unimportant emails to your Archive to test whether you can still access them in your Archive, just as you can now in your Inbox. If so, then you will know you can proceed safely.

You can move ALL your emails to Archive all at once, even if it is 10,000 or more emails. It was for me as simple as checking a box to move all my inbox emails to my Archive folder, although it did take awhile. You can search google or YouTube for how to archive emails in your specific email program. Archiving all the emails in your inbox empties your inbox completely, so it is much easier to work with new incoming emails without all that backlog and mental clutter.

However, unless you do something to get your new emails down to zero, your new emails will begin piling up just like your old emails did. Refer to Pages 156-158 in the updated version of the GTD Book for how David Allen recommends managing email based work flow.

David Allen's GTD book, updated edition, shows the GTD workflow processing diagram on Page 123 (clarifying) & on Page 143 (organizing). This diagram gives you a clear, graphical idea of the questions (decisions) involved and the lists (containers) needed in doing GTD processing.

GTD Processing can be done in a digital or paper system. Some say all you need is a pen and a notebook. Others say tools, supplies, equipment, and time are needed. I've heard some advanced GTDers say that it is important to notice what attracts you most, and I've heard others say to start wherever it feels right for you.

Best Wishes!

@TimBourne

You say that you have perhaps about 10,000 emails in your email inbox. I believe you are wondering what to do with them to get your inbox emails down to zero. If you know that you do not need your backlog of emails, you can delete them. If you think you might need some or all of them, you can archive them.

Archiving them means keeping them but moving them out of your inbox to a pre-existing folder in your email program. In my email program, that folder is called "Archive." You can try moving several unimportant emails to your Archive to test whether you can still access them in your Archive, just as you can now in your Inbox. If so, then you will know you can proceed safely.

You can move ALL your emails to Archive all at once, even if it is 10,000 or more emails. It was for me as simple as checking a box to move all my inbox emails to my Archive folder, although it did take awhile. You can search google or YouTube for how to archive emails in your specific email program. Archiving all the emails in your inbox empties your inbox completely, so it is much easier to work with new incoming emails without all that backlog and mental clutter.

However, unless you do something to get your new emails down to zero, your new emails will begin piling up just like your old emails did. Refer to Pages 156-158 in the updated version of the GTD Book for how David Allen recommends managing email based work flow.

David Allen's GTD book, updated edition, shows the GTD workflow processing diagram on Page 123 (clarifying) & on Page 143 (organizing). This diagram gives you a clear, graphical idea of the questions (decisions) involved and the lists (containers) needed in doing GTD processing.

GTD Processing can be done in a digital or paper system. Some say all you need is a pen and a notebook. Others say tools, supplies, equipment, and time are needed. I've heard some advanced GTDers say that it is important to notice what attracts you most, and I've heard others say to start wherever it feels right for you.

Best Wishes!

ITM
I just quickly scanned over your writing here
not reading the second part

Yeah Gmail uses type "archive" folder label. I was wandering also polifax what e-mail company or brand do you use? Is there a problem with Gmail?

In this message the first part - you basically say a solution to my previous writing is that I could just try putting all my e-mail from past in archive folder (or delete - but I think that would take too long) instead of following the previous user instructions 2nd person who replied to this thread ,where gave type of code style instructions to try to create a new folder for "backlog" - which I couldn't properly set up when tried it - do you think that user no longer uses this website fourm.

Okay I will quickly test the archive feature now.

right - I don't seem to see an archive folder/label right now in my gmail inbox - do you know how I find it or access it? (I remember archive in the past) This is first step.

1708255647171.png

I attached print screen where on Gmail it shows folders/labels on left.

and then has three main - dividers at top "social" and "promotions" I'm not sure its best set up like this with three at top - do you know if there is option to change them?

STN

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
Hi, @TimBourne!

Sorry, I'm not familiar with gmail, but I'm sure you can find directions online for how to archive all your inbox emails in gmail or whatever else you want to know about gmail.

Hi, @TimBourne!

Sorry, I'm not familiar with gmail, but I'm sure you can find directions online for how to archive all your inbox emails in gmail or whatever else you want to know about gmail.
ITM

I see on the app version on phone - there is "achieve"

but can't seem find it on website version

Yeah I did try to do internet research, search about this online a certain amount
after I saw that persons didn't get back to my previous post

In 2 mins

just went on Gmail

and created a label called "archive 2" - thought occurred that for some reason if can't find it on website
I could just make that label (and now it acts as archive) and then follow your previous instructions on website Gmail"
STN
IWSIYGB ADT

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, @Mrs-Polifax ...

If you regard this email as an action reminder, this means that you are using your emails to remind you of actions you need to do rather than (or in addition to) using your GTD Lists to remind you, is that right? It sounds like you prefer to have only one place to go to be reminded of actions.

That's right. I started out using the emails as their own reminders in an "action" folder, but that didn't work for me. No, I put all email related to single actions into an "action support" folder, and create a task in Asana which describes "doing". The email is either needed for doing the action, or for replying back to the sender when the task is done.

Let's say you receive an email from Joe Blow about Project XYZ, saying everything is ready to go, and the widgets can now be ordered. You put this email into your email Action Support folder because you believe this is action support material for an entry into your list manager. That would be an entry into your Next Actions List, wouldn't it? e.g.,"Order widgets for Project XYZ." (Possibly also it is an entry into Project support material in your list manager that lists the next steps for the Project.)

Exactly!

Let's say you are now entering this into your list manager. How would you do that, step by step? I suppose it would depend on your list manager, but just use yours. Do you need to open two windows, one for email and one for your list manager, and copy and paste the information? Do you reference the email in some way, or do you enter the action without reference to the email source? How/when do you know what to do with that Joe Blow email?

I enter the task into the appropriate context list - no link to the email message. I could do that for personal email, but it's not possible with work email for security reasons. If I need to refer to the email, I sometimes write "see OAS" (Outlook Action Support), for example. Copying and pasting is also prohibited, and sometimes I need to "code" the task as I sometimes work with classified information.
To me, a task that comes from an email is no different from any other task regarding how to know what to do when - things are organized in context lists or a calendar, depending on their nature.

To your final remark regarding project support: In Asana, I link next actions to projects - so that every action related to a project is marked up with the project title - so therefore, email related to a project is stored in the project folder.

When a project is completed, I decide whether or not to delete the project folder or to archive it as reference material.

Hope this helps!

René

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, @Mrs-Polifax ...

That's right. I started out using the emails as their own reminders in an "action" folder, but that didn't work for me. No, I put all email related to single actions into an "action support" folder, and create a task in Asana which describes "doing". The email is either needed for doing the action, or for replying back to the sender when the task is done.

Exactly!

I enter the task into the appropriate context list - no link to the email message. I could do that for personal email, but it's not possible with work email for security reasons. If I need to refer to the email, I sometimes write "see OAS" (Outlook Action Support), for example. Copying and pasting is also prohibited, and sometimes I need to "code" the task as I sometimes work with classified information.
To me, a task that comes from an email is no different from any other task regarding how to know what to do when - things are organized in context lists or a calendar, depending on their nature.

To your final remark regarding project support: In Asana, I link next actions to projects - so that every action related to a project is marked up with the project title - so therefore, email related to a project is stored in the project folder.

When a project is completed, I decide whether or not to delete the project folder or to archive it as reference material.

Hope this helps!

René
ITM

"just scanned over your reply here.

Yeah - when I first went over Asana PDF , see e-mail mentioned, has instructions... felt like wasn't ready to address that yet 100%, but set up online calendar for first time.

I will have to come back to this reply here Rene - after attempt to properly set up e-mail.

@TimBourne

Best Wishes!

ITM just scanned over your writing here.

"know that you do not need your backlog of emails, you can delete them" how do I decide? I would rather be on safe side ?

"
think you might need some or all of them, you can archive them." yes - I now found the achieve button in online Gmail website mode

"ry moving several unimportant emails to your Archive to test whether you can still access them in your Archive" What I found out is in "online gmail website mode" - there is no "archive" file, but when you press the button - the mail gets moved to "all mail" folder.

Its worth moving all my "inbox" (keep it to 0) to "all mail" then?

[https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?hl=en-GB#inbox] I tested it - by pressing select, then select all (on the 100 page mail inbox) then maybe de selected three of my most important e-mail for work (want keep in inbox) , then pressed "archive"

Thank you persons polifax - I should be able to go through all my mail now (in 100 batches (max per page on inbox)) and move them all archive them all (to all mail) from inbox and get inbox to 0
- there is no negative effects to doing this is there (or maybe users knowing this reading this could comment in this thread like @René Lie )? Because all mail is going to be put all mail so can search it if - maybe put more important e-mail in there which will reference in future - is this correct?

Next actions come to mind - about properly sorting through subscriptions which arrive new into my inbox would be good right?

Whilst writing this reply:
I did quick search

"how to find archive in gmail" in browser
and first website result came up
[https://www.howtogeek.com/660347/how-to-find-archived-emails-in-gmail/]

Reads
"

KEY TAKEAWAYS

• Deleting emails in Gmail is permanent, but you can archive them instead to hide and retrieve them later. The Archive button appears in the menu for selecting emails.
  • Archived emails will disappear from your main Gmail inbox but can be found in the "All Mail" folder. On the Gmail website, click the "All Mail" label, and in the app, tap the hamburger menu and select "All Mail."
  • Use the Gmail search bar to locate archived emails by typing keywords or using advanced search filters like "-in:Sent -in:Draft -in:Inbox" to exclude typical folders. Adding "has:nouserlabels" can help remove categorized emails. "

STN awaiting polifax"

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
ITM just scanned over your writing here.

"know that you do not need your backlog of emails, you can delete them" how do I decide? I would rather be on safe side ?

"
think you might need some or all of them, you can archive them." yes - I now found the achieve button in online Gmail website mode

"ry moving several unimportant emails to your Archive to test whether you can still access them in your Archive" What I found out is in "online gmail website mode" - there is no "archive" file, but when you press the button - the mail gets moved to "all mail" folder.

Its worth moving all my "inbox" (keep it to 0) to "all mail" then?

[https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?hl=en-GB#inbox] I tested it - by pressing select, then select all (on the 100 page mail inbox) then maybe de selected three of my most important e-mail for work (want keep in inbox) , then pressed "archive"

Thank you persons polifax - I should be able to go through all my mail now (in 100 batches (max per page on inbox)) and move them all archive them all (to all mail) from inbox and get inbox to 0
- there is no negative effects to doing this is there (or maybe users knowing this reading this could comment in this thread like @René Lie )? Because all mail is going to be put all mail so can search it if - maybe put more important e-mail in there which will reference in future - is this correct?

Next actions come to mind - about properly sorting through subscriptions which arrive new into my inbox would be good right?

Whilst writing this reply:
I did quick search

"how to find archive in gmail" in browser
and first website result came up
[https://www.howtogeek.com/660347/how-to-find-archived-emails-in-gmail/]

Reads
"

KEY TAKEAWAYS

• Deleting emails in Gmail is permanent, but you can archive them instead to hide and retrieve them later. The Archive button appears in the menu for selecting emails.
  • Archived emails will disappear from your main Gmail inbox but can be found in the "All Mail" folder. On the Gmail website, click the "All Mail" label, and in the app, tap the hamburger menu and select "All Mail."
  • Use the Gmail search bar to locate archived emails by typing keywords or using advanced search filters like "-in:Sent -in:Draft -in:Inbox" to exclude typical folders. Adding "has:nouserlabels" can help remove categorized emails. "

STN awaiting polifax"
Great!

I agree to all of this.
I don't use "archive" myself as I prefer to use a "reference" label (with proper sub-labels) for things I want to keep and delete what's not needed, but archive is an option.

Getting your inbox to zero is a milestone, so keep going until your done - and when you're down to zero: stop and reflect for a moment - how do you feel when your inbox is empty?

Great!

I agree to all of this.
I don't use "archive" myself as I prefer to use a "reference" label (with proper sub-labels) for things I want to keep and delete what's not needed, but archive is an option.

Getting your inbox to zero is a milestone, so keep going until your done - and when you're down to zero: stop and reflect for a moment - how do you feel when your inbox is empty?

ITM
Thanks,
I was thinking maybe a negative of moving loads, or almost all mail still stored on Gmail - to all mail folder is it could maybe slow it down or have other negatives?

"I prefer to use a "reference" label (with proper sub-labels) for things I want to keep and delete what's not needed, but archive is an option." Yes I probably need to use sub-labels on Gmail to further organize/categorise ?

might take while go through about 10 000 mail? have 100 pages to go?

in my previous message I also wrote .

"know that you do not need your backlog of emails, you can delete them" how do I decide? I would rather be on safe side ? - as if I'm not sure that I want to delete types of mail which I haven't even opened (because feel like not valuable) such as promotion e-mails or advertisements marketing types from companies.

This all links back - to original first instructions PDF sheet on e-mail and users advice gave start of this thread to consider un subscribing from certain e-mail senders.

For instance thought came to mind - "supplement companies for diet" - send certain amount advertisements and they really not a priority but also had thought not 100% sure want completely unsubscribe - in case something happened like notify type discounts or sale? Is it worth it or just unsubscribe ? I don't normally try purchase much online overseas supplements anyway?

*P.S. I looked now - was wrong, actually says I have 3,500 messages in main Gmail on inbox, not 10 000
It actually makes sense to sort these first going "oldest to newest first"

But rene - didn't pick up last message - one action I was writing was doing was literally just moving all mail from inbox into "all mail" which certain things probably don't want - but just want move it to all mail (then decide if delete/unsubscribe) you think this makes sense or there is better way to do it?"

STN

I was also thinking its probably not worth that I show further print screens of my Gmail web right now (- but idea came mind, maybe there's other people looking organize inbox (maybe other GTD's trying study allen book) and might search online, but doubt they will find this thread ?

Great!

I agree to all of this.

P.S.

Because the other option myself was thinking off: Was it makes sense, could make sense to first put all the things in my "in box" according to labels within inbox file and then archiving them? Does that work?
Are you able to label e-mails in all mail?

"That could go through all G-mail contacts and label/categorise them first?
I presume G-mail is set up so you can do this both ways around?

I feel bit confused, so probably need to review this thread within 24hrs" s

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
ITM
Thanks,
I was thinking maybe a negative of moving loads, or almost all mail still stored on Gmail - to all mail folder is it could maybe slow it down or have other negatives?

"I prefer to use a "reference" label (with proper sub-labels) for things I want to keep and delete what's not needed, but archive is an option." Yes I probably need to use sub-labels on Gmail to further organize/categorise ?

might take while go through about 10 000 mail? have 100 pages to go?

in my previous message I also wrote .

"know that you do not need your backlog of emails, you can delete them" how do I decide? I would rather be on safe side ? - as if I'm not sure that I want to delete types of mail which I haven't even opened (because feel like not valuable) such as promotion e-mails or advertisements marketing types from companies.

This all links back - to original first instructions PDF sheet on e-mail and users advice gave start of this thread to consider un subscribing from certain e-mail senders.

For instance thought came to mind - "supplement companies for diet" - send certain amount advertisements and they really not a priority but also had thought not 100% sure want completely unsubscribe - in case something happened like notify type discounts or sale? Is it worth it or just unsubscribe ? I don't normally try purchase much online overseas supplements anyway?

*P.S. I looked now - was wrong, actually says I have 3,500 messages in main Gmail on inbox, not 10 000
It actually makes sense to sort these first going "oldest to newest first"

But rene - didn't pick up last message - one action I was writing was doing was literally just moving all mail from inbox into "all mail" which certain things probably don't want - but just want move it to all mail (then decide if delete/unsubscribe) you think this makes sense or there is better way to do it?"

STN

I was also thinking its probably not worth that I show further print screens of my Gmail web right now (- but idea came mind, maybe there's other people looking organize inbox (maybe other GTD's trying study allen book) and might search online, but doubt they will find this thread ?
I would do the following:

Get rid of the tabs in email (social and commercial? Don't remember, I've deactivated them) so that everything lands in the inbox.

Get rid of obvious trash - I don't see the need to archive those in "all mail"

Myself, I subscribe to quite a few newsletters. Use David's advice for inboxes here: As many as you need - as few you can get by with. But I never keep these lying around; When I receive a newsletter, I quickly skim it. If nothing interesting - delete, if something interesting - organize (action support if I'm actually doing something with it, Someday/Maybe if I might do something about it, Read and Review if the content itself is worth reading, or postpone using the Gmail function for this - if I'm not ready to decide).

Yes, every email can be labeled - if you label messages in "all mail", this just means that it will start showing up under the desired label. I use to think of labels as "folders" even if they are really not - but they give you an option of sorting (or rather filtering) emails that share context/project/etc. Potentially, a search will potentially omit relevant email or bring up irrelevant material IMO.

Regarding sorting inbox when clarifying: In the GTD book, David actually recommends starting with the new ones first, as there may be some discussions/threads - which can result in us replying prematurely. And doing it this way, you may also be able to get rid of some older messages in the same thread. And by the way: I always recommend turning off any "show as thread" or "show as discussion" feature, and instead show every message individually.

Hope this helps!

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
How did you get the automation part done? how did you link the 2 things together? and make it understand what forwarding an item even means
In Braintoss, I told it to send whatever I capture to my Gmail inbox.
Then, in Gmail, I set up a filter, saying 'take whatever comes from Braintoss, and forward to the Asana email address (every list in Asana can be given its own email address) and then delete the email from the Gmail inbox'.

Forwarding an email just means sending an existing email message to another email address, if that's what you're wondering about...

Get rid of the tabs in email (social and commercial? Don't remember, I've deactivated them) so that everything lands in the inbox.

Myself, I subscribe to quite a few newsletters. Use David's advice for inboxes here: As many as you need - as few you can get by with. But I never keep these lying around; When I receive a newsletter, I quickly skim it. If nothing interesting - delete, if something interesting - organize (action support if I'm actually doing something with it, Someday/Maybe if I might do something about it, Read and Review if the content itself is worth reading, or postpone using the Gmail function for this - if I'm not ready to decide).

Yes, every email can be labeled - if you label messages in "all mail", this just means that it will start showing up under the desired label. I use to think of labels as "folders" even if they are really not - but they give you an option of sorting (or rather filtering) emails that share context/project/etc. Potentially, a search will potentially omit relevant email or bring up irrelevant material IMO.

Regarding sorting inbox when clarifying: In the GTD book, David actually recommends starting with the new ones first, as there may be some discussions/threads - which can result in us replying prematurely. And doing it this way, you may also be able to get rid of some older messages in the same thread. And by the way: I always recommend turning off any "show as thread" or "show as discussion" feature, and instead show every message individually.

Hope this helps!

ITM

Thanks Rene - so your only other user who replied in this thread saying they also use Gmail so far.

I don't know how to get rid of those top tags.
Searched and found they are called "categories", change them in the settings. Yeah I never used the 2 category features at top since using Gmail, only used 1 main inbox.

By trash you mean bin? - I can hide that left screen label.

"As many as you need - as few you can get by with" I had thought - why not try to integrate the minimalism concept to e-mail and really completely get rid all news letters (but - make a saved note export of the companies) then x period time search/research company on net - you understand ?

"When I receive a newsletter, I quickly skim it. If nothing interesting - delete, if something interesting - organize (action support if I'm actually doing something with it, Someday/Maybe if I might do something about it" That's a good system.

"every email can be labelled - if you label messages in "all mail"" yes labels are the icons on the actual mail interface in the mail box, folders are things at outside edge sections above/side the mail messages.

"And by the way: I always recommend turning off any "show as thread" or "show as discussion" feature, and instead show every message individually." he recommends turning off e-mail notifications for his website?

"David actually recommends starting with the new ones first" Oh right I'm not sure I read that part.

"STN

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I don't know how to get rid of those top tags.
Searched and found they are called "categories", change them in the settings. Yeah I never used the 2 category features at top since using Gmail, only used 1 main inbox.
Cog wheel -> All Settings -> Inbox -> Uncheck all categories

By trash you mean bin? - I can hide that left screen label.

I meant when processing your inbox - if a message has no action or no future value, delete instead of archive (that's how I prefer it)

"As many as you need - as few you can get by with" I had thought - why not try to integrate the minimalism concept to e-mail and really completely get rid all news letters (but - make a saved note export of the companies) then x period time search/research company on net - you understand ?

That's a matter of preference of course - I unsubscribe if I'm not at all interested, but some newsletters I like to just keep an eye on...

"When I receive a newsletter, I quickly skim it. If nothing interesting - delete, if something interesting - organize (action support if I'm actually doing something with it, Someday/Maybe if I might do something about it" That's a good system.

Works for me! :)

"every email can be labelled - if you label messages in "all mail"" yes labels are the icons on the actual mail interface in the mail box, folders are things at outside edge sections above/side the mail messages.

Labels you put on an email message, corresponds to the "folders" in the left pane - they're all the same!

"And by the way: I always recommend turning off any "show as thread" or "show as discussion" feature, and instead show every message individually." he recommends turning off e-mail notifications for his website?

Not sure what you mean here, but I don't use notifications on email, I prefer to check my inbox whenever I feel like it. What I mean here is that some email programs give you the option of grouping emails by subject, like a chat thread - I don't like that...

Hope this helps!

ITM for Rene x2"

Coming back here - I just tried something going "contacts in google" then tried exporting certain amount of names/profiles like 14 in format file "spreadsheet/outlook e-mail" - and saw that puts 14 email addresses in type of spread sheet doc downloaded "downloads" PC

I thought maybe doing that - would make it so delete all the e-mail threads with contacts just exported out "my contacts" but it didn't, I checked

I was thinking Rene: - do you know if there is an easier way to unsubscribe from E-mails apart from manually going down to certain newsletters and pressing unsubscribe to re direct to websites?

-Because not all contact e-mails allow subscriptions this way.
-and takes a bit of time manually having do it this way going on each website.

I should try to search - if there is some sort of setting or code to be able to do this in Gmail? "

I meant when processing your inbox - if a message has no action or no future value, delete instead of archive (that's how I prefer it)

That's a matter of preference of course - I unsubscribe if I'm not at all interested, but some newsletters I like to just keep an eye on...

Labels you put on an email message, corresponds to the "folders" in the left pane - they're all the same!

Not sure what you mean here, but I don't use notifications on email, I prefer to check my inbox whenever I feel like it. What I mean here is that some email programs give you the option of grouping emails by subject, like a chat thread - I don't like that...

"what you mean here, but I don't use notifications on email, I prefer to check my inbox whenever I feel like it. What I mean here is that some email programs give you the option of grouping emails by subject, like a chat thread - I don't like that..."

I miss read what you wrote.

Right I was thinking - in the archive (all mail) when press option to "archieve mail" a second time - where does it go? I searched and coun'dt find an answer.

I think maybe it pearmently (typo) deletes the mail of Gmail?"