Avoiding the Real World

J

JWE

I need some help on motivation and implementation. I left a great sales job to pursue my goal of having a sales rep agency. I have one client that basically pays 80% of our household needs. I am reading GTD and have read Ready for Anything and listen to the CDs. I try to log on daily and read the forums but...
I have realized that I am avoiding implementation and life by locking myself up in my cubbyhole home office.
I need help with Next Action for getting my butt going. Anyone else gone through this and what helped?
Thanks all
Jeff

A

Anonymous

Barnes & Noble University GTD Course

Hi JWE,

I signed up for the Barnes & Noble GTD course that starts next week. Jason is teaching the course and it's FREE. Just signing up for the course gave me a nudge to start re-reading and using GTD. I even did a mini-mindsweep (53 projects, 107 NAs and counting) and mini-weekly review (currently have 3 emails in my inbox) earlier this week. I'm hoping the course helps me stay on track.

BNU GTD Link
http://tinyurl.com/2q3j3

J

JWE

B&N University

Wow. Great tip. This gives me something to look forward to. Hopefully Monday will be a turn of motivation for me.
Thanks
jwe

S

Siva

I am avoiding implementation and life by locking myself up in my cubbyhole home office

I tend to fall into the same thing. An action, even a small action, tends to change this situation. I have realized that as long as I am physically moving around and not sitting in a chair for long periods of time, I am good. So now I am minimizing sitting in a chair along and thinking....

C

CosmoGTD

Consider using a Stand-up desk.

Why worry about motivation?
Why not just pick ONE Next Action at a time, and simply make yourself do it, whether or not you "feel motivated" to do it?

If you are having Anxiety, then you are going to have to ACT in DIRECT OPPOSITION to your feelings, which is the opposite of motivation.

Motivation is fine, but we don't need it.
Especially if we are having emotional blocks.
If that is the case, then we are going to have to ACT AGAINST our feelings.
Then over time our feelings will change. (Behavioral therapy, exposure, extinction)

Do i have to LIKE to do something to do it?
Or can i just do it, and either not like it, or not feel anything?

Pick ONE Next Action at a time, and FINISH it. (2 minute block of time). Do 20 Next Actions an hour. Keep a list of all the Next Actions you complete in an hour, in a day.

Work in 15 minute blocks of time, then take a 5 min break.

There is no other way out, as far as i can see.

Coz

J

JWE

Coming out of the cave

Thanks Coz, you have alot of good replies to these forums. I guess it boils down to for me: When I don't know what to do next, do anything. If an opportunity comes along I will be in that Martial arts ready stance to go forward more easily than from a stand still.
To quote GTD " Anything that causes you to overreact or underreact can control you, and often does."
Working from home with a client that is over 1000 miles away, it is easy to slowly degrade to the point of stand still. I have lost the human touch to everyday work which also contributes to this lack of motivation.
But on a positive note, forums like this brings alot of it back to perspective. Excuse me while I go put on pants and step outside to smell the flowers. I feel like coming out of my cave now.

Great replies all.
jwe

A

andmor

Re: Avoiding the Real World

Try journalling your feelings whenever they start to overwhelm you. Do it until you have exhausted your anxiety on paper. Journal as often as you feel you have to. Then you will feel unburdened (lightened) enough to do some work. Journalling is a great way to get yourself unstuck.

I know the cabin fever feeling of a home-office.

Andrew

Ambar

Registered
A non-GTD recommendation: read the book Get Clients Now, by CJ Hayden. Extremely practical program which I would recommend to anyone who's running their own business.

A

andmor

CosmoGTD said:
Why worry about motivation?
>Why not just pick ONE Next Action at a time, and simply make yourself >do it, whether or not you "feel motivated" to do it?

I agree

>If you are having Anxiety, then you are going to have to ACT in DIRECT >OPPOSITION to your feelings, which is the opposite of motivation.

hmmm

>Motivation is fine, but we don't need it.

Maybe, but we need the idea of being motivated.

I find Dr. Burns' advice that Action leads to Motivation which leads to More Action which leads to More Motivation, etc. a little more encouraging. I am a firm believer in the idea that whatever you can do to overcome Inertia will lead to Momentum, which will make you forget all the prior negative thoughts while you are busy with the work.

Andrew

C

CosmoGTD

Sure, Action CAN lead to motivation, but it doesn't HAVE to.

Of course, to overcome a lack of motivation, takes a certain motivation!

What i am saying is that, as Burns says, we are NEVER going to feel motivated to do certain tasks, as they are boring tasks! So the solution, is to do them, even if we don't feel like it.

Burns clearly says, that procrastinators believe they need to feel motivated BEFORE they do a task.
I used to feel that way, and thus i never completed my taxes on time, didn't do my cleaning, didn't keep proper records, ended up with big stacks of paper, etc, etc, etc.

But now, i don't care if i "feel motivated" to do those tasks. I just make myself do them when they are scheduled. Period.
Sometimes i feel motivated once i start, sometimes i don't. But it doesn't matter either way. I have decided that those things are important to me, so i do them, no matter how i feel.
Thus, my taxes are done and sent in, i do my cleaning, record keeping, and almost all the other tasks i used to have trouble doing. (I preferred to do the "sexy" big picture things, as they were so much more exciting, and "motivating".)

In my view, the key is to eliminate the idea that motivation is necessary to do something.

Now that i think about it, believing motivation is necessary is actually creating the problem in the first place! Think about it!

Coz

andmor said:
CosmoGTD said:
>If you are having Anxiety, then you are going to have to ACT in DIRECT >OPPOSITION to your feelings, which is the opposite of motivation.

hmmm

>Motivation is fine, but we don't need it.

Maybe, but we need the idea of being motivated.

I find Dr. Burns' advice that Action leads to Motivation which leads to More Action which leads to More Motivation, etc. a little more encouraging. I am a firm believer in the idea that whatever you can do to overcome Inertia will lead to Momentum, which will make you forget all the prior negative thoughts while you are busy with the work.

Andrew

C

CosmoGTD

As an example, i just took my own advice from the previous post.

Each year after i do my taxes, I then file away all of that years tax info into a bankers box, and then eliminate the tax info from 7 years ago. I go through the 7 year old envelope, and shred everything, and also scan some key docs for my own records.
This was not a task i was motivated to do in the least, and i put it off for a few days. I was demotivated, and avoiding doing it.

Right after making the previous post, i decided that no matter how i felt, that NOW was the time to do this, and i started doing it by pulling out the files, and a few hours later i was finished, and also organized my tax info library as well, while i was at it.

There is a motivational enjoyment of having DONE this routine task, but the reality is that there is more resistance than motivation to doing it.
What makes me do this stuff now, is just telling myself that i don't have to enjoy doing something to do it.
I also don't have to hate doing it.
I just have to do it, and either feel good about it, or feel bad, or feel Glad :D - Sad :cry: - Mad :evil: - :shock: Scared, guilty, embarrased :oops: - Dysphoric :twisted: , or even feel nothing about it. 8)

It doesn't matter what i feel, just as long as i DO it.

I think that creates a sense of detachment about it, which makes it much easier to do.
But even if its hard to do, it doesn't matter. It just needs to get done, in the time frame i decide it does, for my own purposes.
That is also creating a sense of High-Frustration Tolerance, vs a Low-Frustration Tolerance. Even if i feel enormous frustration while doing it, that is good! That shows i am building HFT, and overcoming LFT.

Its the same thing as developing the capacity for delayed gratification. You realize YOU CAN STAND THE PAIN of not having what you want right now. It might feel unpleasant, but it won't kill you.

If we have HFT, we can do things that make us feel uncomfortable, and even extremely frustrated, and not let it bother us too much, or stop us from doing what we want.

This also makes me think that some of us are Emotional Perfectionists. We want to feel good all the time. In my view, that is a very unhealthy and unrealistic way to look at human emotion.

(there is a subtle Cognitive trick in this, in that by not being afraid of experiencing dysphoric feelings, we diminish their power over our behavior).

Its the fear of fear, the anxietizing over anxiety, the depressing over depression, the raging about the anger, which is the real problem.

We simply just make ourselves do what we want to do, and practice feeling really bad about it while we're doing it, while simultaneously realizing that its not THAT bad, and it certainly won't kill us, and even if the pain does kill us, well, then we have no more problems!
But to Practice Dysphoria, and build up our tolerance for feeling frustration, anger, fear, anxiety, pain, disappointment, and all the rest, slays the imaginary dragon, and allows us to get our stuff DONE when we say we want it done.

Coz

PS: a lot of folks obsessively drink, drug, smoke, watch tv 24/7, gamble, chant, read, and do other "activities" for the same reasons, methinks...

PPS: notice how this is the exact opposite idea to so-called "positive thinking", and various new-age approaches to handling emotions? I wonder who's method is the most sound...
:wink:

CosmoGTD said:
... i decided that no matter how i felt, that NOW was the time to do this, and i started doing it by pulling out the files, and a few hours later i was finished, and also organized my tax info library as well, while i was at it.

Once upon a time there was a time when this was called "to act with determination".

Coz,
Thanks for this great post.

Rainer

A

andmor

CosmoGTD said:
I think that creates a sense of detachment about it, which makes it much easier to do.

Well, I think this is the key point of difference. While I agree that there is a certain scientific-intellectual attractiveness about the idea of dealing with things as they are and not getting overly emotional about them, I don't think that this approach fairly deals with the human element that gets in the way for most people. That human element is best reflected in the old scenario of the teacher/parent who says "if you are good I will give you a prize", where there's always at least one kid who will respond "what's the prize?". It's that human element that has to be dealt with and that's why techniques such as outcome visioning, working backwards from the finish point, journalling, postive self-talk, etc. are not only appealling but also successful.

Andrew

A

Anonymous

Great insight coz. Hopefully scheduling things will lead to good habits. If I remember correctly David Allen talks about building habits to a point where you feel uncomfortable if you don't do things. Kinda like having to brush your teeth.

M

me_brown1110

Constructive Living

Coz's posts in this thread, which I think come from his Albert Ellis experiences (thanks for the pointers to that, Coz) are things I stumbled across 10 or more years ago in the books of David Reynolds and his "lifeway," Constructive Living.

CL is based on the work of a Japanese contemporary of Freud called Morita. Here's one of his quotes:

Give up on yourself. Begin taking action now, while being neurotic or imperfect, or a procrastinator or unhealthy or lazy or any other label by which you inaccurately describe yourself. Go ahead and be the best imperfect person you can be and get started on those things you want to accomplish before you die."- Shoma Morita, M.D.

Morita's idea was that people should accept their emotions as a fact (like the weather), but one of many facts that go into making a decision to leave the house or do a task. If you're feeling scared, take note of it, but if your purpose requires you to take action (you're scared of flying but have to fly), then you fly scared to death--you distract yourself, read, sleep, do whatever, but you do what you have to do. (This doesn't mean becoming an emotionless robot, BTW; you're never without emotion; but you don't let emotions dictate your actions. Instead, as William James showed, emotions follow actions.)

Sadly, many of Reynolds' books are out of print, but they very simply present basic ideas to help cut through a lot of the low-level neuroses that intelligent people (like us) foist upon ourselves. The little psychological tweaking soon begins to acquire the patina of philosophy.

Here's a web site with more info: http://www.todoinstitute.org/. They have articles from their newsletter available for reading. Not much different, perhaps, from Ellis or Burns, but this is what I came across first and it still speaks to me.

mike brown

A

Anonymous

Motivation

JWE

Being familiar with your situation, I have found a very helpful trick. That is, no matter what, get your butt out and in front of customers first thing each Monday morning. It sets the pattern for the week. If you're lazy about making appointments initially, you will overcome that once you've wasted time not getting to talk to people at the clients location.

Like David Allen talks about the trick of putting on your exercise clothes to get you to exercise. The equivalent in sales is to get in front of clients - make appointments. I try to visit at least 3 per day and contact more than that by phone, email, etc (obviously).

Whatever you do, dont wait until you're motivated - you'll die!

C

CosmoGTD

Just to continue the follow-up...

I do my Weekly Review on Sundays from 8-10.
This Sunday i happened to work from 7am-9pm, so by the time i got home i was a basket-case.
So i rescheduled it for tonight.

Now before my review, i do a 1 hr clean-org of my home.
But tonight, i was RESISTING doing these things like crazy! I felt TIRED, and DID NOT FEEL LIKE DOING IT AT ALL. (irony is everywhere).

So what i did was...
1) I did a written Thought Record chart from the book "Mind Over Mood". (CBT).
2) I started in on my Weekly Cleaning, and then 2 hr Weekly Review.

All at once, i acted AGAINST my "feelings" to NOT do the work, i did a Thought Record to dispute the negative automatic thoughts, and i tried to make it enjoyable by thinking of the rewards of COMPLETION.
After a sluggish first few minutes, i started to get into it.
I did the 1 hour clean-org.
I also did a VERY VERY vigorous, (but not perfect) Weekly Review. I kept track of how many Next Actions i finished this time. (I like COMPLETING as many little Next Actions as possible during my review).

I completed well over 50 Next Actions!
It feels AMAZING to clear the decks like that.

Coz

C

CosmoGTD

Next Action record?

One of the best ways to change behavior, is to MONITOR the behavior in writing, and to measure, record and log it.

I wonder what the utility would be keep track of, and perhaps to set a minimum number of NA's to take each day?
(of course, this would be just for those who feel "stuck".)

I have a sneaking feeling, that taking from 20-50+ IMPORTANT Next Actions on a daily basis, could really produce amazing results.
And the key here, would to somehow COUNT how many you are doing, and to not stop until you reach your quota.

I think i am going to try something like this.
This way, once you hit your quota, you can take a break, or watch the game, etc, as a reward.
Also, for those of us that seem to have endless NA to do, it gives a tangible objective for the day, and also gives a clear place to stop for the day....

Coz

C

CosmoGTD

@ Next Action counter

I am going to try and count my Next Actions for a while, to see if it has any utility.
Counting a behavior and recording it, is one of the best ways to install a behavior.

So in Outlook, i created a recurring all-day Event, called:

@ Next Action counter [-]~{25}

[this is how many i have done so far, just typing in each new one as i go, 1, 2, 11, etc]
{this is my target number of Next Actions for the day}

What i will do is throughout the day, whenever i complete a Next Action, is i will add a number into the first bracket.

This might be a good way for those who are STUCK to just get moving.

Coz