Avoiding the Real World

A

andmor

I don't think that doing NA's is part of a Weekly Review. A Weekly Review is specifically 10,000 ft level and up.

Andrew

Scott_L_Lewis

Registered
Re: Constructive Living

Mike Brown wrote:
Coz's posts in this thread, which I think come from his Albert Ellis experiences (thanks for the pointers to that, Coz) are things I stumbled across 10 or more years ago in the books of David Reynolds and his "lifeway," Constructive Living.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one seeing the similarity to Constructive Living. Apropos to this discussion, here is an excerpt from an article on the ToDo Institute web site titled "Facing the Demons of Inaction: Morita Therapy as a Resource for Moving Forward" by Gregg Krech. (Gregg is the current director of the institute.) In the article, he makes the point that accepting unpleasant emotions and doing what you need to do in spite of them is a skill that is developed with practice.
If you're ready to end your habit of procrastination, here are the next four steps:
1. Is there an important project or task about which you have been procrastinating?
2. What's the next step (just identify the next step, even if it's just a small task like making a phone call)?
3. When are you going to do it? (Identify a specific day and time — this is an appointment).
AND NOW THE FUN PART…
4. Accompanied by trepidation, fear, doubts, indecision, shyness, anxiety or any other demon who happens to show up… DO IT.
Taking action isn't always pleasant. But look at the payoff – over the course of a lifetime — a lot more accomplished and a lot less suffering. As Joan Baez said, "Action is the antidote to despair."

Looking at step 2, I wonder if he is a GTD'er. :)

C

CosmoGTD

Firstly, DA says nothing like that to my knowledge, and even if he did, in my view the key is for each person to figure out what works for THEM.
If a person wants to use the Weekly Review to clean up all the ground level loose ends, then that's fine in my view. I spend most of my time at the Vision level, so all those little things can slip through the cracks, so i catch them at the review. I prefer to just chuck them in the inbox, and deal with them later.

I am rereading Ready For Anything, and DA is putting forward some pretty broad concepts of how to work.
Whatever gets the job done for each person in the most effective way, is what needs to be done. DA has said that many times.
Thank goodness there are no GTD Police that are coming to get me...or are there?...

Coz

andmor said:
I don't think that doing NA's is part of a Weekly Review. A Weekly Review is specifically 10,000 ft level and up.

Andrew

A

andmor

CosmoGTD said:
Firstly, DA says nothing like that to my knowledge,

Page 48: "...you must consistently retrench at some more elevated level."

Page 187: "...rise up at least to 10,000 feet and catch up."

Page 189: "...a review and catch-up process at the 10,000-foot level."

>and even if he did, in my view the key is for each person to figure out what works for THEM.

Fair comment, but in my experience the Weekly Review is hard enough to focus on without distracting yourself with Runway stuff. I happen to think that your post doesn't give good advice and since so many people seem to have difficulty with the Weekly Review, I thought it might be useful to provide an alternative point of view.

Andrew

Busydave

Registered
4. Accompanied by trepidation, fear, doubts, indecision, shyness, anxiety or any other demon who happens to show up… DO IT.

Scott

Thanks for this wonderful quotation!

It just lets us all be human – we don’t wait to be physically perfect specimens before taking up a sport, so why wait to be some sort of emotionless automaton before getting down to work?

It’s a very companionable statement. As a kid I yearned to be unique and immune to all normal human shortcomings. Now I’m just happy to know that I’m not unique in my trepidation!

Dave

C

CosmoGTD

Ummm, i am not here to give others advice on how to do a Weekly Review, just my opinion of what is working for ME at this time.
And as far as "10,000" feet, that is just a metaphor.
For someone like me, i naturally live at higher levels of abstraction, so i need to force myself down to ground level.
For another person, they may get caught up in the details of everyday work, so they need to take a step back to look at the bigger picture.
Every person is unique.
I personally believe that GTD can be customized and applied in creative ways.

But frankly, i am giving very sound ideas about how to actually DO the weekly review, no matter how one happens to do it.

Coz

andmor said:
Fair comment, but in my experience the Weekly Review is hard enough to focus on without distracting yourself with Runway stuff. I happen to think that your post doesn't give good advice and since so many people seem to have difficulty with the Weekly Review, I thought it might be useful to provide an alternative point of view.

Andrew

C

CosmoGTD

I saw him a couple of years ago when he was on the road. He was absolutely hysterical.

moises said:
Funny article. It would be preferable for me to go see his free seminar soon, since he might not be around much longer!

A

andmor

CosmoGTD said:
Ummm, i am not here to give others advice on how to do a Weekly Review, just my opinion of what is working for ME at this time.
>But frankly, i am giving very sound ideas about how to actually DO the weekly review, no matter how one happens to do it.

Funny, Coz. OK, you won't get any more arguments from me. The board is all yours.

Andrew

Chariot

Registered
Re: Avoiding the Real World

JWE said:
I need some help on motivation and implementation. I left a great sales job to pursue my goal of having a sales rep agency. I have one client that basically pays 80% of our household needs. I am reading GTD and have read Ready for Anything and listen to the CDs. I try to log on daily and read the forums but...
I have realized that I am avoiding implementation and life by locking myself up in my cubbyhole home office.
I need help with Next Action for getting my butt going. Anyone else gone through this and what helped?
Thanks all
Jeff
Jeff,
It sounds like you might be stuck into sales-avoidance mode. I know a lot of business people (even salespeople) who let get themselves stuck into that mindset. And once upon a time, I was also stuck into that mindset. I'm a contract programmer by the way.

If you want, I can consult with you over the phone (for a fee), and I can even give you a free 30 minutes consultation just to show you what it would be like. Again, I'm not a sales trainer, I'm a contract programmer, but since I've gone exactely through the same kind of problem you're going through -- I feel uniquely qualified to help you with this. If you're interested, send me a Private Message.
Stephan (aka Chariot)

A

Anonymous

Coz, Andrew, you are two of the most respected regular posters to this forum.

Puh-leeze do not cancel each other out!

C

CosmoGTD

Those two statements appear contradictory, but they are not.
I am not telling people the specific action steps in doing a Weekly Review, they should get that from DA, and Jason, and the other GTD experts.
But i am giving advice on how a person can get themselves to actually DO whatever they happen to be doing during their weekly review.
So i am giving advice about how folks can get themselves, even force themselves, to do the Weekly Review, not the specific steps in the review.
But regardless, its just my opinion, and could be wrong.

Coz

andmor said:
CosmoGTD said:
>But frankly, i am giving very sound ideas about how to actually DO the weekly review, no matter how one happens to do it.

Funny, Coz. OK, you won't get any more arguments from me. The board is all yours.

Andrew