How do you keep track of your Calendar?

A

aroma

I'm VERY curious what most of you use for your trusted calendar systems?

I work for a large corporation that uses Outlook 2003 but I need a home calendar for basic things such as dentist appt, birthdays, etc. I would like to avoid using a PDA since I have had several and they all seem to have had problems. (mainly PALMS) I also would like to avoid using a web based system since I am concerned about security. I'm curious what most of you use for a trusted calendar system and how long have you used it for? thanks!

kewms

Registered
My home and work computer are the same -- I'm self-employed -- so I can use Outlook without worrying about synchronization. I do sync to a variety of devices -- iPod, PDA, etc. -- but Outlook is the Ultimate Authority on what I need to do.

If I had two locations and could only have one calendar, it would be paper. I do all my longer term planning on paper as it is.

Katherine

TesTeq

Registered
Paper calendar.

For GTD lists paper has some disadvantages but paper calendar is better than any electronic device or software. Portability, reliability, accessability, ease of use...

W

webrover

Outlook at work, Paper at home

At work we use Outlook. I have a blackberry, so this schedule is always with me. I put personal and work appointments on it. (Days school is in session or kids are out early or on break, work holidays blocked out so I don't schedule meetings through them, etc.) I occasionally print this in a monthly format when I need a big picture. However, I have so many meetings that they usually don't all fit in a monthly view. I've found a printed daily calendar is often obsolete by the end of the day.

Items that fall outside the work day or that are personal items also go on a family paper calendar that hangs next to the main phone in the dinette area. Before the blackberry, this calendar would occasionally get carried from home when I expected to be scheduling something.

Karen

RuthMcT

Registered
At work I use my PDA synced to Outlook so my secretary can also read it. Non-working days are blocked off.

At home there's a communal paper calendar hanging on the kitchen wall for major stuff like appointments and family visits, but I also have a personal paper diary (one day to a page) on my desk. Surpisingly there isn't that much to duplicate between the two paper systems - I think we must have a very simple social life!

Ruth

Max

Registered
Paper, please

I use a Franklin Covey weekly veritcal format (sssh!! quiet!!! Don't alert the GTD police). I am in the same situation of having to use Outlook at work. I just keep business related stuff in it though, and only so other can see my free time and schedule meeting accordingly. I like the portablility of a paper calendar and the weekly format is a good balance for me between too much space and bulk of a daily planner and the limited space of a monthly. It is also great for doing weekly reviews.

Also, MyLifeOrganized does not have a calendar feature. It does handle repeative taks well though.

GTDWorks

Registered
I use iCal that syncs with my PDa but use paper Day-Timer 2-page per month calendar pages for scheduling those long-range planning projects nd keeping a journal of my day. I can see the big picture on paper, but can manage it all well in iCal.

darlakbrown

Registered
Mac-a-roni user

I'm on Mac OS X - using iCal, syncing it with Treo 650 Palm software with great ease. I also use Mac's .sync to duplicate calendars on my home computer with my laptop. I use Missing Sync to sync the Treo with my home computer. I do not try to multiple sync the Treo with both my home system and laptop-- no need and too complex.

I use LifeBalance for Next Actions, Lists and Projects. I use OmniOutliner Pro for other lists and outlines and project planning. And of course Word and Excel as needed. LifeBalance syncs items in my iCal if I need an item to be done on or by a certain day.

The next version of OS X is going to have more integration with personal management systems, I've heard, but haven't personally read up on it.

Jamie Elis

Registered
happy to hear that others feel need for paper calendar

I am working my way back to paper for time and work planning, and for communicating wiht others, but will continue to use Palm as a kind of collection tool/ cue system for when I am on the move and making out my day's list of hard landscape features.

I also have on the wall above the desk top computer a huge calendar that shows the whole year on one sheet and major stuff is blocked out on this (vacations, semester changes, etc.). This is just a reference calendar. It is a huge space eater and hard to get to and hard to reach to to add tings to, but I like the total visual. I will get or make a smaller one for next year.

For carrying around to office, church, errands, etc. I use my Palm which I synch to desk top version. I LOVE the fact that it weighs so little, I can fill it will so many notes on place I am going such as directions and contact person, cost, materials etc., and I can put in the "maybe" events (e.g., events I might take in and readily see what conflicts that I am thinking about-I put these in without a time and write the time in parentheses, and I LOVE that I can make the repeaters and also change them easily, and carry bdays from year to year. I HATE the fact that I can't compare weeks or really scan a whole month and look at things I can swap with one another. This is where paper is really valuable.

On the refrigerator is another giant one but I hate the space it takes up and I can't photo copy it or carry it to the computer for easy update. I am using in coming year instead a page a month that I have torn the pages from and hung so three months at a time show. These sheets are the right size to photocopy if needed for a family member. The Palm prints out more detail than anyone but me needs.

I am always fearful that I have put a piece of essential info in one calendar but not the other. Items to share on both, I type into Palm in capitals if I am owrking in that medium. If I am working on the frig calendar I put a little c next to the item to indicate it is new and needs to go on the computer-based calendar and then a check through it when I have done so.

Covery distinguishes between calendar as a communication device (e.g. one on frig) and a time/work planning device. I also think another purpose is to organize info by time so it can be retrieved by time easily, and yet another is to record activities in log fashion. I wish Palm enabled you to readily put in a reminder (like 7 days until....). This is also easily done with paper and an arrow. It is also easy to log information using paper but not so easy to collect and crunch the numbers if you need to.

wordsofwonder

Registered
I keep my calendar in Outlook 2003 and my Palm Treo 700p. Being self-employed like others who've responded, my work calendar is also my home calendar. I've tried paper calendars -- and was a strong devotee of the Franklin Planner back before they became Covey -- but don't use paper at the moment as I'm trying to reduce the number of things I carry around in my purse. I already carry my Treo, a small Staples Rolla notebook (equivalent to the Circa Junior), usually my iPod, plus my wallet and lipstick and all the other random stuff purses seem to collect.

I've had some stability problems with my Treo (whose cause I haven't yet bothered trying to run down) that cause it to randomly do a soft reset about once a day. Outlook isn't any less stable, and I don't have the energy right now to try stripping my Palm back to bare metal to see if I can find the culprit for the reset problem, so it works for me. I tend to capture stuff into the notebook anyway, so the combination works okay.

-- Tammy

TesTeq

Registered
Designate Palm to be your master calendar.

Jamie Elis said:
I am always fearful that I have put a piece of essential info in one calendar but not the other. Items to share on both, I type into Palm in capitals if I am owrking in that medium. If I am working on the frig calendar I put a little c next to the item to indicate it is new and needs to go on the computer-based calendar and then a check through it when I have done so.
I suggest that you designate Palm to be your master calendar that contains everything. The other calendars should contain only the information related to the context they are in.

Elena

Registered
copy with cell phone

Jamie Elis said:
On the refrigerator is another giant one but I hate the space it takes up and I can't photo copy it or carry it to the computer for easy update. *snip*

I am always fearful that I have put a piece of essential info in one calendar but not the other.

I have that problem too. It means I don't "trust" my system yet. I was wondering if you had a camera cell phone? Maybe you could just take a picture of your fridge calendar, and keep that with you. While I know it may not be readable, just the notice of a blur in the right spot will spark my memory and I will remember what I wrote down in that location.

Elena

jpm

Registered
Outlook/Palm

I put everything on my outlook calendar on my work notebook PC. Our company provides notebooks with docking stations as many of us travel a great deal. I sync with my palm.

Personal stuff goes on my work outlook calendar. If it's sensative I simply mark it private.

K

kermalou

i have used outlook and found it tedious, Google Calendar works great for me and text messages me, if I tell it to, before my meetings and events.

emil

Registered
I am currently experimenting with the Google Calendar as it has this neat text message/SMS feature where you can get appointment reminders to your cell phone. You can also update your calendar using text messaging.

- Emil

Micah Jackson

Registered
PlannerPad

I've recently switched to the PlannerPad (http://www.plannerpads.com) which interacts well with GTD for me (who doesn't have many, many next actions. It wouldn't be so useful for somebody like Peter Gallant with his 1500+ NAs. But I do like the layout and the fact that I can keep everything in view at all times. I also keep my Projects list on the "notes" section in the back.

cctraderx

Registered
If your company allows you to use/place personal info on Outlook, you could do that and mark them private - then you would have one calendar. I do that and print out weekly/monthly calendars in advance as part of my weekly review to make sure that I don't miss things and have just one calendar.

B

Betty

Paper/Yahoo/PocketMod

I have a paper calendar in the kitchen, Yahoo calendar on the Web, and in my pocket either a PocketMod http://www.pocketmod.com/ or an 8x2 1/2 list similar to Day-Timer's Hot List Sheet if the day/week has too many first rank items. I find that the act of writing things down imbeds them better in my memory. And the presence of paper in my pocket captures notes better than all the dead Visors and Palm devices ever did.