I want to design my own leather binder, gorgeous

Trish

Registered
Hi there,
I am doing fine w GTD, have settled on my tools (PDA's do not work for me though I tried and tried and love my little Treo, but no, won't go down that rabbit hole again) so now I am using a regular sized Franklin planner--I own about 3--but since this planner and I live day in and day out with each other, I am unhappy with the quality, look, feel, texture. I am a designer handbag junkie/collector so my standards are high, but still, I can't be the only one. I want the practicality of the set-up of my Franklin (with some tweaks if Franklin cares to ask me) but I want it done in a gorgeous shade of, say, green Italian or French leather---such as Hermes does for their totally useless agenda's and planner. I will even go to Italy to find a leather maker but who, where, how do I do this? Also I own a gorgeous Mulberry planner, but the rings are such that you can only use Mulberry paper and I loathe their calendars--paper really nice however. I would like to hack the Franklin rings on the Mulberry planner but Franklin tells me "no will do, get lost, loser". Also I would like to choose my own color and leather etc.

I want to carry this thing around like a cherished designer handbag, and don't tell me to buy a LV planner, don't like them. I want this thing in my hands all day to be a love affair.

Also, on another note, I want a spiral notebook to carry around to make plans on, draw, do lists and then tear the pages out and pop them in my planner--so, they have to fit and be the right size. Colors would be nice too. But that's not the hard part. I am sure I can find someone to do the papers. It's the leather binder I am having trouble with.

Where can I find someone or a company to work with me? Hermes is my standard but they only make Hermes binders--and the nice leathers are all in little silly things only our grandmother's would really use. Anyone know anything about this stuff? Any Italian leather maker that does gorgeous stuff out there? I need to crack this code. Even Ryan at Levenger has been trying to help me but he doesn't know either.

Thanks if you made it this far.

Trish::cool:

Barb

Registered
Woman, if you find this...

OK, so I don't have a resource for you, but I know I want to hear about whatever you find! I'm TOTALLY with you on having the perfect accessory...and I too will gladly pay for it.

Trish

Registered
Okay, now we got three

Hi Barb, I am so happy to hear from you. Right, price no object but the results are totally a big object. So now we got you, me and my best GTD buddy Claudia on fire about this. We shouldn't have to live out of Officemax or even the stale Franklin stores. I am on a mission!!:D

E

emkay

I have seen some beautiful work at better craft shows (NOT the country-bunnies kind - the artists' fairs...) in leather.

Would one of these artisans be interested in making what you want? I imagine that someone would undertake it for the right price! Especially the Hermes price... :)

I know what you mean about the perfect binder - I do use a pda and dream of the perfect lefty case, with pad on the right and card slots NOT upside down!

I also dream of the perfect lefty pda...but that is hopeless.

Emkay

kewms

Registered
Try an Internet search on "custom leather handbag" and your location. Call vendors who look promising and explain what you want. Expect it to be jaw-dropping expensive, but if you're looking at Hermes you knew that already. Plan to buy a cheap Franklin binder and cannibalize the rings.

(What you want isn't technically a handbag, but it's closer to that than to the *unique* clothing you'll get if you leave the keyword out.)

Katherine

Trish

Registered
Good idea, Katherine.

And by the way, Emkay, I am a lefty too--so of course I would make allowances for that too!
Trish

Trish

Registered
no luck so far..

What I have seen under Custom Leather Handbag is what I thought I would find: very crafty. Not Balenciaga or Hermes at all. I don't want running horses stenciled all over the front and I don't want it lined in gingham. On to Italy!!

But keep your ideas coming.

trish

A

ActionGirl

It sounds like you have a pretty specific idea of the type and quality of leather you want. Maybe you could start with that. Find out who makes it and who they sell it to. One of those people may be willing to take on a custom project. At least they'll share your ideas about the quality of the raw material.

Of course I have no idea how to find the leather either. Do you know who supplies the leather to the people at Hermes? Actually, even if the "company" tells you no, one of the people who actually makes similar stuff may be happy to take on a personal project like this. Maybe someone in the fashion world can help you find the real artisans. Or call around to design schools.

Good luck!

Trish

Registered
Yes!

Thanks, Action Girl. I will get in touch w Parsons School of Design in New York--going there Monday anyway, and maybe Project Runway people, and of course here in Chicago, there is The Art Institute School, and then I could go to the head of handbags at Barney's. Also, a friend just started working at Hermes and he would help me find the leather etc. Oh, now I am full of ideas!
Thanks.

Also, you know how they have the A5 Filofaxes in these plain leathers but the Personal size comes in all these really amazing leathers---like ostrich in red and cream, and croc, etc. Why don't they make the A5 in these amazing things?

Trish

Trish

Registered
Found it!

I think I have found a company who will let me do my own binder. I have seen the leathers and am talking with them now. Gorgeous colors and leathers! Really stunning. I am in New York City and stumbled across a source via a saleslady I was chatting with in Soho at Kate's Paperie. I will let you know how this turns out for all of you who might be interested. Trish

E

emkay

I'm so glad you found somebody! Personally, I'll wait for the cheap knock-off to come out next season... :)

When it's all done, post a picture for us - I actually am very curious about your lefty design ideas.

emkay

mhm802

Registered
Here's a source I found that might be worth exploring...I have a beautiful Raika binder in one of these leathers that is in need of replacing, and this site lets you pick your own pattern, color and style.

http://www.alatrend.com/default.asp?SID=x629423W394USXPMY6QY98&C=12&S=503&A=E&PKV=222-204|0

Trish

Registered
My new binder is on it's way here...

mhm802;50147 said:
Here's a source I found that might be worth exploring...I have a beautiful Raika binder in one of these leathers that is in need of replacing, and this site lets you pick your own pattern, color and style.

http://www.alatrend.com/default.asp?SID=x629423W394USXPMY6QY98&C=12&S=503&A=E&PKV=222-204|0

Hi! Thanks for not forgetting about me. I went straight to Raika---just Google---and wow, did I find a lot of cool leathers, binders etc. I picked one, with the help of the nicest lady on the phone, in lime green croc leather with a zipper all around and it will be here in a day or two. They make them right in their shop. I even picked out some papers and calendars for the inside and she gave me half off because half the year is gone! I will let you all know when it gets here.
Trish:mrgreen:

A

Andrika

Source for custom binder

In post number 10 you said that you had a source that could make you a binder - could you share the name? I'm still looking for someone to make a binder in A5 size with rings no larger than 5/8". Raika doesn't have that particular size. The regular A5's are too bulky for me. I saw a binder like this in Tokyo and didn't buy it and have been regretting that ever since.

Thanks.

Trish

Registered
Hi Andrika,

I did get my binder from Raika and it is lovely. If I knew how to post pics I would. I got a regular classic size--like Franklin---in lime green croc leather with a zipper all around. But the A5 you describe, I have no idea. You will have to remember that store in Tokyo I guess.

Good luck! Trish

Barb

Registered
Trish's Closet

You know Trish? I think I'd just like to wander through your closet a bit Maybe just the shoes and purses. Nirvana!

A

Andrika

Thanks Trish. I wrote to Raika and they carry a 1" ring size, but not smaller. I did find a custom leather accessory maker in San Francisco. Her name is Bea and if you google April In Paris Leather you can find her site. She used to work for Hermes. I emailed her and am waiting a reply. I don't plan on returning to Tokyo in the near future, but if anyone on this forum living in Tokyo would like work as a personal shopper, I know the exact store! Lesson learned: if you love it, buy it - and sometimes in multiple colors.

M

Macaire1

Possible solution?

I just discovered the Levenger Circa notebooks (www.levenger.com). They're sleek and attractive, but the coolest thing about them is that they come in multiple sizes and are adjustable spiral notebooks that allow you to remove and replace the pages as you wish. They're very spendy, but I'm pretty well hooked on them. If that doesn't work for you, then good luck with your search! :D