I would love a tool that syncs with my iPhone, I have a pc, what would you recommend?

SpaklePrincess

Registered
I am currently researching the best tools to use in setting up my GTD system. I'm a big computer geek, so I definitely want to go with something digital.

Something web-based would be best, so that if I'm not at my computer, I can access my info from another computer.

I am a big Gmail and Google Apps user.

What would you recommend?

Doug S

Registered
Toodledo

I would definetly recommend Toodledo. I am fairly new GTD'r but I have set up Toodledo so it's working for me online on my Iphone 4 and my Ipad. All sync togethor really well.

Hope that helps?

:D

Dean33

Registered
Try the Free Trial on Nozbe

I have been using the paid Nozbe for 6 months on pc and IPhone. It's great and the latest development with labels allows areas of focus. Sync has NEVER failed. Dean

SpaklePrincess

Registered
Dean33;86047 said:
I have been using the paid Nozbe for 6 months on pc and IPhone. It's great and the latest development with labels allows areas of focus. Sync has NEVER failed. Dean

Ok, cool. I don't know much about Nozbe, but I've heard people are using Nozbe AND Evernote together. Are you using Nozbe by itself and finding it sufficient?

Any reason you chose Nozbe over Toodledo, which is what I'm looking into right now?

SpaklePrincess

Registered
Doug S;86013 said:
I would definetly recommend Toodledo. I am fairly new GTD'r but I have set up Toodledo so it's working for me online on my Iphone 4 and my Ipad. All sync togethor really well.

Hope that helps?

:D

Great, thank you. I've just got it set up and am starting to input my projects.

PeterW

Registered
Toodledo with Appigo Todo

I'm also using Toodledo. It's very flexible so you can create a nicely tailored solutoin.

I tried Toodledo's iPhone app but prefer to use Appigo Todo which also syncs with the Toodledo service.

mapapo

Registered
Dean33;86047 said:

I can not recommend Nozbe at the Moment - They have to do some work under the hood to make it professional - The backup-fuctionality is a real mess compared to toodledo. In Nozbe you get a text-File including not all information you have in your account - I once messed up my account and felt on the safe side because I had a backup but it took me hours to be there where I was when I made the backup.

In Toodledo you get an XML-File really including everything form your tasks - I once made a failure in configuring a third-party-app syncing with toodledo and lost a lot - I loaded my last backup and everything was back .

Nozbe would be a wonderful tool but I do not see much progress regarding some important functionlity - and this backup-topic has been around in the forums for a long time.

For that the Price-Tag is too high

SpaklePrincess

Registered
PeterW;86271 said:
I'm also using Toodledo. It's very flexible so you can create a nicely tailored solutoin.

I tried Toodledo's iPhone app but prefer to use Appigo Todo which also syncs with the Toodledo service.

Why do you prefer Appigo over the Toodledo iPhone App? Thanks!

SpaklePrincess

Registered
mapapo;86325 said:
I can not recommend Nozbe at the Moment - They have to do some work under the hood to make it professional - The backup-fuctionality is a real mess compared to toodledo. In Nozbe you get a text-File including not all information you have in your account - I once messed up my account and felt on the safe side because I had a backup but it took me hours to be there where I was when I made the backup.

In Toodledo you get an XML-File really including everything form your tasks - I once made a failure in configuring a third-party-app syncing with toodledo and lost a lot - I loaded my last backup and everything was back .

Nozbe would be a wonderful tool but I do not see much progress regarding some important functionlity - and this backup-topic has been around in the forums for a long time.

For that the Price-Tag is too high

This is really invaluable information. Thanks much for pointing these issues out - that saves me a lot of time!

dfinke

Registered
SpaklePrincess;85992 said:
I am currently researching the best tools to use in setting up my GTD system. I'm a big computer geek, so I definitely want to go with something digital.

Something web-based would be best, so that if I'm not at my computer, I can access my info from another computer.

I am a big Gmail and Google Apps user.

What would you recommend?

I use Pocket Informant on my iPhone ($10). It syncs with google calendar and toodledo, both free. I recommend using the toodledo task mode vice GTD task mode for this application. Pocket Informant also has a free version to try out.

jclark19

Registered
dfinke;86372 said:
I use Pocket Informant on my iPhone ($10). It syncs with google calendar and toodledo, both free. I recommend using the toodledo task mode vice GTD task mode for this application. Pocket Informant also has a free version to try out.

Why do you like the toodledo mode vs. GTD on PI?

I also use Pocket Informant, Google, and Toodledo. They work well together.

PeterW

Registered
SpaklePrincess;86359 said:
Why do you prefer Appigo over the Toodledo iPhone App? Thanks!
Hi,

It's really down to usability - Appigo's interface is a really good implementation for the iPhone. Toodledo's is just clunky, especially when you look at how the handle projects (parent tasks/subtasks).

mcogilvie

Registered
PeterW;86425 said:
Hi,

It's really down to usability - Appigo's interface is a really good implementation for the iPhone. Toodledo's is just clunky, especially when you look at how the handle projects (parent tasks/subtasks).

Funny, it's Appigo Todo that I find unusable. It shows the project in all contexts for which there is a next action on the project, and you have to go inside the project to see the next action. The filtering system leads me astray. it doesn't support start dates. Sorting is anemic. The iPad version has a ridiculous paper notebook look. I could go on, but you get the idea. Each to his/her own, I guess.

PeterW

Registered
mcogilvie;86427 said:
Funny, it's Appigo Todo that I find unusable. It shows the project in all contexts for which there is a next action on the project, and you have to go inside the project to see the next action. The filtering system leads me astray. it doesn't support start dates. Sorting is anemic. The iPad version has a ridiculous paper notebook look. I could go on, but you get the idea. Each to his/her own, I guess.
You're right - everyone will have a different take and likes/dislikes.

I only use Appigo Todo on the iPhone. I don't need start dates nor do I use filtering or sorting. For me, I prefer the way they display parent task/subtasks (single tap to see all subtasks), and I find everything generally takes a single tap rather than having to go down an extra screen level or have to scroll to the bottom to access notes, etc.

And I find the look and feel intuitive and appealing, whereas Toodledo looks and behaves kinda like an older generation iPhone app. Very functional, but just not making the most of iOS. Mind you, the Toodledo website is a bit sad looking too so I guess it runs in the family.

Golfnut

Registered
PeterW;86429 said:
...the Toodledo website is a bit sad looking too so I guess it runs in the family.
+1 for using Toodledo with Appigo's ToDo app (on both iPhone and iPad)

Strangely enough the 'notebook look' is one of the things I really like about the iPad version of Appigo's ToDo. "Different strokes, for different folks" as they say.

As to the look of the Toodledo website: There are a number of things you can do to improve its look and tweak the presentation of data.

For anyone getting started using Toodledo I would suggest spending some time in the user Forums, particularly in the 'Tips&Tricks' and 'Getting Things Done' sections to learn how other users have set up their lists, contexts, tags etc. to derive maximum benefit from Toodledo

I'm one of the dinosaurs that still uses Internet Explorer for most of my browsing but since discovering user scripts and styles for Firefox have started using that exclusively for Toodledo, Gmail and my Google Calendar.

My preferred userstyle is 'Toodledo Focus', but there are several others available (most, if not all are free).
Link to 'Toodledo Focus': http://userstyles.org/styles/40980
Read about it here:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/3/8719/0/userstyles-toodledo-focus.html

PeterW

Registered
Yes, in fact I've made a few Stylish themes of my own for Toodledo. I really liked "Toodledo Me Too" (vertical tab theme) but after some site updates last year it didn't handle them very well.

clango

Registered
Did you see the new Toodledo?

Recently they update the website and it is now quicker and more efficient, at least for me.:D

Then I sync it with Ultimate To Do list on my android