It's hard to focus with so many tasks!

A

Anonymous

"Overwhelmed"

Ditto Cris.

First of all, I am new to GTD. I have read the GTD book twice and 52 principles once. I already had my own self developed system in place two years prior to GTD; GTD is putting a nice shine on a rough diamond.

You wanted to know how you could possibly keep from becoming overwhelmed with lists of hundreds of actions. You were okay by taking a handful of NA copies and putting them on another sheet if you understand these concepts:

What is most important to the NA section and the Project section?

1. It is there. There is a place that is defined and regulated where you can go to rest your mind (by adding to the list) or quench your thirst by drawing from the well a bucket of NA's.

2. It is there and it is not silent. Its not just a list; it is a well of mental considerations that will launch the next action.

3. It is regulated ("reviewed" consistently).

It is okay to take water from the well as long as you don't disturb these three constraints. If you take 4 or 5 items from the well -- take the first actions necessary to to get them moving-- don't just take the name, keyword, or subject. Don't use this "bucket" to collect NA's from any other well other than the well that GTD has built. In other words, use the bucket but only use it to draw from the NA well or Project well or Agenda well. You have to make sure that you rely on the NA well and the Project well.

You seemed to indicate that your weekly review is sometimes done weekly and sometimes every two weeks. This, to me, seems to be where the problem is. I do not see how you can put a review off for more than a week. And I do not see how you can dare to be inconsistent. I review every NA, WaitingOn, SomeDay, Project, Agenda, etc every Mon, Wed, and Fri come hell or high water. But, my items in these departments are very legible: keyword in left column and next action in right column. The two columns are not wide and are close together to facilitate speed reading.

Hope this helps

Deavers

M

mobipro

Priorities and Workload

Like many of the people attending this topic, I also have the problem of too many things to do, that need to be done now.

Somewhere along the topic (I think Gordon), I recognised the "taking too much on" factor.

And referring back to the original post, I have two brief observations:
Priority
I use the Eisenhower principle of prioritisation, simply four categories - A:Urgent and Important, B:Important (but not urgent), C:Urgent, D:reconsider it. And within those, a 1,2,3,4..list. If all my tasks are A-priority, it means I am in crisis-management mode. One should, of course, strive for B-priority. But the reason I end up with A-priorities is:
(a) lack of proper planning
(b) lack of discipline
(c) my boss (and colleagues) view the same task with a different priority

Workload
Without a clear overview of (all) the work I have already committed to, I cannot know whether another task/project can be taken on. This overview is essential.

My point being, if I have addressed the two aspects above, I am confident telling my boss that "of course I can do that job - which one of these [priority jobs] would you like me to postpone or cancel?".

Aside from TaskTimer, I use a big whiteboard that clearly displays what I am working on, at a high level (sometimes Goals). With any proposed projects, I take a cloth in my hand and prepare to wipe.
I also suggest more staffing, of course.

To re-iterate Docta's point, one must recognise when one has too much on one's plate and be prepared to say "No" or "Later".

Peter.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Eisenhower's matrix

Mobipro,

Would you be so kind as to send me more infomation about Eisenhower's matrix of prioritization? Any weblinks or documents would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Longstreet

furashgf

Registered
cris comments were the most cogent I've seen, differentiating GTD from other methodologies. I used to think my problem was I was being too inefficient, etc. The real, central problem I have is that I've committed, and continue to do so, to too many things. That's the real problem. GTD has just made that obvious to me.