Why am i still in the same reacting to (vs. attacking) what needs to get done?

^^^ oh, and I also like the suggestion from bcmyers that I should just worry about one "label" - the tool needed to do it. Even so, it is still a bit of thinking i have to engage in for each idea that comes into my mind that I jot into my Inbox (i.e., the context label; what, if any, project it should go into; or is it more of a someday/maybe thing? or reference? and how much of my already-sapped time and energy I would need to accomplish it). Is this the kind of stuff most of you do every day or during your weekly review....?

bcmyers2112

Registered
GettingNothingDone said:
^^^ oh, and I also like the suggestion from bcmyers that I should just worry about one "label" - the tool needed to do it. Even so, it is still a bit of thinking i have to engage in for each idea that comes into my mind that I jot into my Inbox (i.e., the context label; what, if any, project it should go into; or is it more of a someday/maybe thing? or reference? and how much of my already-sapped time and energy I would need to accomplish it). Is this the kind of stuff most of you do every day or during your weekly review....?

With GTD, there's always a bit of thinking required to clarify your inputs: What is this? If it means something to me, what do I do with it? But you're going to have to do the thinking eventually anyway, and it's better to do it at the front end than wait until something becomes urgent or even a crisis.

If something is actionable, the only "requirement" in GTD is that you add the next action(s) to the appropriate context list(s), and add the project to your projects list if the outcome will require multiple steps. The other stuff you're talking about -- linking the action to the project, adding the time needed to complete the action and the energy it will require -- are nice-to-haves but not certainly not necessary for an effective GTD practice. If you're finding any of those things to be sticking points, try doing without them. My suggestion: just enter the action and link it to a project. When you review your lists, your intuition will tell you whether you have the time and energy needed to accomplish those tasks at that time.

The key is to avoid making your system so burdensome that you resist using it. Then your brain will take back the job of managing your lists, which is the thing GTD aims to avoid in the first place.

There is no exact formula for what is "too burdensome." It differs for every person. Only you will know what's right for you. Trial and error is your friend.

As for when to empty your inboxes and process your stuff, you should do it as often as needed. I do it at least once daily. Don't wait for the weekly review. The point of the weekly review is to catch things that inevitably fall through the cracks due to the pace that real life comes at us on a daily basis.

bcmyers2112

Registered
GettingNothingDone said:
Someone on a GTD podcast interview i listened to recently (about balancing life/family) said something I also find reassuring: to fully embrace the gtd metholodoggy, one shouldn't shy away from putting "family" stuff as projects.

Absolutely. GTD is meant to be a total life reminder system. Stuff like "Paint the living room," "find nursing home for Dad," and "enroll Johnny in school" are just as much work as anything you can be paid to do. In some cases, personal stuff can be even harder because our personal lives don't come with policies and procedures manuals that people sometimes receive at work! You'd be surprised how much progress you can make on a personal project by just deciding on an outcome and determining at least one action to drive you toward it.

GettingNothingDone said:
I don't have many Projects on Someday/Maybe list bc most seem to be ongoing like "be petter parent" or "find a job" and bc I don't trust that I'll EVER look in there. :)

I would suggest that these are "areas of focus" (as defined in the Getting Things Done book) rather than projects. Projects should have a defined end point: "I'll know when this is done when such-and-such becomes reality." David Allen suggests that projects should be things that take no more than a year to accomplish, although this is a guideline and not a hard-and-fast rule.