Projects: how much detailed?

clango

Registered
Hi everybody!

Can you please give me your feedback how to nest a project in a simple way?

I try to explain my doubt:

In my sales activity one of the project I have is to allocate focus, energy and time to search new customer opportunities.

Thanks to this, I'll then define a list of company I'd like to have business.

And finally I start to action.

How many projects would you create in your project list in the todolist software? (I use toodledo)

Only one where I'd list into, all the related tasks for the process I think it's successful for me (e.g. Read the business magazine, read the company mission on internet) and all the potential customer I'd like to reach?

Or for each potential company would you create its own project?

And finally would you use the folder to keep connected all the tasks will be put in action?

Thanks in advance

Claudio

Cpu_Modern

Registered
We had this topic a few times over the year, yes, often from sales people.

What I would do depends on the background for the work, e. g. is there a sales quota you have to meet?

If the wish-list you refer to is all there is to it, I just would set a goal of winning at least two of them as new clients and make that one project.

Generally speaking, whether every prospect is a project depends IMHO on the type of sales process you have. It is only two phone-calls and a flyer you send out or is it a long series of negotiations?

Maybe cutting out "sales" is not even the best idea? Maybe the work itself is a project and "sales" is just the first phase for each project of that kind?

If all this project thinking doesn't lead to anything, I would just make it an Level 2 Area of Focus and Responsibility and schedule a daily time when I am going to do it.

clango

Registered
Thanks CPU_modern!

following your message how much fluid and easy seem to be this cascade?
  1. Annual Goal: How many new customer would like to win
  2. Project: 2017 New potential customers. List of the companies I'd like to approach among which I work to achieve the goal.
  3. Project: Every new won customer (individual Folder in Toodledo).
Surely it'd be also convenient make a Level 2 Area of Focus and Responsibility to schedule a daily time when I work on this goal.

And I think the list of the new potential customers could allow me to be as fast is possible to set next actions where I think it's more important. Isn't it?

Cpu_Modern

Registered
Ultimately you are the only person who can truly give an answer to these questions, but I am happy to share my thoughts.

Annual Goal: How many new customer would like to win
From where I sit, this sounds like a bad idea. Now, I don't know if there is a sales manager, caught in too formalistic "thinking", breathing down your neck or whatever else may be going on at your place of work.

But, as far as I can tell, the pure number of clients ALONE doesn't say anything at all about the merits of their business they bring in.

You have to think deeper. What you want to achieve with your sales activities is a strategic advantage in your markets; but to discuss this goes outside of the scope of this forum.

In terms of GTD, yearly goals are often thought of as "Level 3 Goals and Objectives" maybe you want to research more on that. I personally don't do yearly goals, since I don't like to tie my goals to artificial deadlines.

Project: 2017 New potential customers. List of the companies I'd like to approach among which I work to achieve the goal.
In GTD parlance, this could as well be just Reference material. Maybe put a "Tickler" reminder to review this list from time to time.

But What I would do is to make every company on that list a project from the get-go, where success is defined as winning that specific company as a new client. It is thus much easier to organise this list. You can always put some companies on someday/maybe or add new ones. Just have every company one project and pronto. Keep it simple and flexible.

Project: Every new won customer (individual Folder in Toodledo).
As by my previous post, it depends on how you want to view your work. Typically in GTD a project is something that has a definite outcome, a point at which you can say that it is completed. What would be the end-point for these projects? And what happens, if you want to sell more to an existing client? And what happens if they themselves come back to you for more business? How do you organise that?

Taking a look at the cascade as a whole, I don't see a point in it. If you want to measure the success of your sales activities, take a metric bound in reality. I can't say anything further to it unless you share more details of your situation, but a real metric would be for example the profits you generate, or the percentage of profit share your combined clients have in their markets compared to what the clients of your direct competition are making or some such. You have to bound this to reality.

Surely it'd be also convenient make a Level 2 Area of Focus and Responsibility to schedule a daily time when I work on this goal.
As I wrote, it depends largely on how your sales process looks. For instance, if you make a lot of outbound phone calls or want to be available on the chat on your company's website, you will need to make yourself available during certain office hours. Again, if you share more details, one can share more specific thinking.

And I think the list of the new potential customers could allow me to be as fast is possible to set next actions where I think it's more important. Isn't it?
Sure. But as I wrote above, the same list as a subset of your Projects list would be just as fast.

Aside from that, you should set Next Actions all the time in a manner that makes your inventory of Next Actions complete, at any point in time, having set all possible Next Actions in their respective Context and at least one Next Action per Project (if that Project is not covered by a "calendared" or "tickled" item already.)