Sending email in Outlook 2016 and create copy in "@ Waiting For" at the same time!

persistence

Registered
Hi
Would like to save a copy of email being sent in "@ Waiting For" while sending the email.
Is this possible in Outlook 2016...

Thank You

TruthWK

Registered
I have mine setup to not create a copy in sent items (in options). I then have a rule that copies all messages I send to the Inbox so that becomes the only copy. I can then process it as necessary. I don't want it automatically in Waiting For because I don't always care about responses depending on the email and I may just want to delete it.

persistence

Registered
Just to clarify.
Would like to save a copy only of the one email being sent in "@ Waiting For" while sending the email.
Not all emails being sent...
Thank You

John Ismyname

Registered
The easiest way to do that would be to go to Message > Quick Steps > Create New and create a quick step to do this. If you have trouble with this, let me know and I'll go into more detail.

I use a rule which moves the email being sent to the "@waiting for" whenever my name is on bcc. So when I wanted a certain email copied I just put my email-address into the bcc-field and a copy of the email being sent arrives to my inbox and will be moved automatically into the folder "@waiting for"
hope this helps
Regards

John Ismyname

Registered
hey Persistence; per my instruction above, i made a screen shot of the "Manage Quick Steps" window but I can't post it here. I'll send you a private message with the image. Here are the values you would use;
Quick step: @Waiting For or whatever name you want to call this
Actions: Copy to: @Waiting For (you don;t type this in, you select it from the menus)
(Note in my example, I added a second action, to create a Outlook-Task with the text of the message)
Shortcut key: CTRL + SHIFT + 3 (or whatever key combo you want to assign)

As mentioned, I do not recommend this procedure as it is better handled by Outlook-tasks.

persistence

Registered
Stefan...could you walk me trought on how to create that rule, looks like what im trying to do...Thks

John ..im not able to set up complex approches but thks for your comments.

persistence

Registered
I should have specified...im trying to create a rule that when i cc myself on a email i send ....that email would be sent to a task folder called @waiting for.

Last edited:

John Ismyname

Registered
An email rule in Outlook can do this easily!
1.Home > Move > Rules > Create Rule...>Advanced Options...
2. Put a check beside "where my name is in the Cc box"
3. Click "Next >"
4. Put a check beside "move it to the specified folder"
5. At the bottom of this window, click on the underlined word "specified"
6. Select the folder you want (i.e. @Waiting For)
7. Clock "OK"
8. Click "Next >" twice
9. In "...Specify a name...", enter "@Waiting For"
10. Check the "Run this rule...: box
11. Click "Finish"

I'd encourage everyone using Outlook to go through this function as there is usually a process that everyone can identify and automate.

John Ismyname

Registered
Your are welcome :) Your "@ Waiting For" folder/directory has to be in an e-mail folder. In Outlook, email folders can only hold email, task folders can only hold tasks.

@persistence: I only have outlook 2010 but I followed mainlky the procedure @John described, exept for putting my name in the bcc box and not in cc as I only want certain emails moved to the "@waiting for folder" and not all incoming mails where I am on cc. but that's individual preference.
And yes the "@waiting for" folder has to be an email-folder. In my outlook it is a subfolder within the inbox.