Omnifocus 3...

tammie1983

Registered
Will there be a new setup guide in the shop for Omnifocus 3? I'm unable to download Omnifocus 2 as they pulled it from the App store because 3 is due out in a few days. I know the guide in your store is for 2, so I'm wondering whether to purchase this or wait and see if you bring out a new guide?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Will there be a new setup guide in the shop for Omnifocus 3? I'm unable to download Omnifocus 2 as they pulled it from the App store because 3 is due out in a few days. I know the guide in your store is for 2, so I'm wondering whether to purchase this or wait and see if you bring out a new guide?

Hi @tammie1983. Our OmniFocus Guide is written for OmniFocus desktop, not iOS. What's coming out in a few days is the new OmniFocus 3 for iOS, not desktop, if I understand correctly. I still see OmniFocus 2 for desktop available for download here: https://www.omnigroup.com/download/#omnifocus

I am on the beta list for OF3 for desktop and still don't have that yet. But as soon as I do, I'll get started right away on a new Guide!

mcogilvie

Registered

The bare bones of Omnifocus have not changed from 2 to 3, so I think if you are completely vanilla in your setup, you should be ok. The database format for 3 is compatible with the latest versions of OF 2 for Mac. However, functionality has been added and taken away in moving from 2 to 3. I would wait for OF 3 and take advantage of the free trial.

tammie1983

Registered
Hi @tammie1983. Our OmniFocus Guide is written for OmniFocus desktop, not iOS. What's coming out in a few days is the new OmniFocus 3 for iOS, not desktop, if I understand correctly. I still see OmniFocus 2 for desktop available for download here: https://www.omnigroup.com/download/#omnifocus

I am on the beta list for OF3 for desktop and still don't have that yet. But as soon as I do, I'll get started right away on a new Guide!

Ah, ok. I don't have a Mac, so I'd only be using it on my iPhone and iPad (oh and Watch). Sorry, my fault I should've said that. So the Omnifocus guide in the shop is for the desktop version anyway, so it won't be any use to me if I'm using it on iOS. Is there a guide for using it on iOS?

tammie1983

Registered
The bare bones of Omnifocus have not changed from 2 to 3, so I think if you are completely vanilla in your setup, you should be ok. The database format for 3 is compatible with the latest versions of OF 2 for Mac. However, functionality has been added and taken away in moving from 2 to 3. I would wait for OF 3 and take advantage of the free trial.

I'm completely new to GTD and Omnifocus, so anything I set up will be fresh, but it won't be on a Mac as I only have a PC and my iOS devices, so I need a guide for iOS devices only.

rtaylor913

Registered
I have both IOS and desktop versions of OF. I would use the OF guide. The principles that is presents for the desktop are applicable to the IOS version. You have to do just a little of mental adjusting but basically the setup is identical (which is one of the beauties of OF).

tammie1983

Registered
I have both IOS and desktop versions of OF. I would use the OF guide. The principles that is presents for the desktop are applicable to the IOS version. You have to do just a little of mental adjusting but basically the setup is identical (which is one of the beauties of OF).

Great, thanks... I will wait for the OF3 guide though, I'm afraid $10 is a lot of money for me and I'm only here on the trial (again, can't afford the cost even though I'm sure it's worth it). So I'm hoping to get what I can out of the webinars available and the forums before all I have is the book to rely on :)

Mark Jantzen

Registered
I've been using OF3 since it's release and it hasn't impacted my setup. I like the improvements to the software, especially the Today view.

The only thing I haven't done yet is use multiple "tags". I don't know if I will. But I understand there's a technical limitation until OF3 for macOS comes out where multiple tags from iOS won't translate to OF2 on macOS. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

I'll be curious to see the new setup guide. Aside from changing the name "Context" to "Tag" I don't see any fundamental GTD changes. It's still about defining your successful outcome (Project) and the next action (Tag).

Very nice upgrade by the Omni Group!

RandyF79

Registered
I've been using OF3 since it's release and it hasn't impacted my setup. I like the improvements to the software, especially the Today view.

The only thing I haven't done yet is use multiple "tags". I don't know if I will. But I understand there's a technical limitation until OF3 for macOS comes out where multiple tags from iOS won't translate to OF2 on macOS. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

I'll be curious to see the new setup guide. Aside from changing the name "Context" to "Tag" I don't see any fundamental GTD changes. It's still about defining your successful outcome (Project) and the next action (Tag).

Very nice upgrade by the Omni Group!
You're correct...with regards to Tags in OF 3 for iOS....only the first "tag" will show up on your desktop version as the "context".

Rose

Registered
It seems to me there would definitely be a place for an OmniFocus 3 for iOS Setup Guide, or a general one which addresses both platforms. OmniGroup mostly sell OF on iOS - as evidenced by that one being released first. The current beta of OF 3 for Mac is really good, but as I was on the earliest iOS beta I've been using OF 3 one way or another since March!