GTD4T - Getting Things Done for Teens - July 10, 2018

sholden

Registered
I picked up the Audible version today also as one of my sons does better with auditory learning than reading. It comes with a nice PDF workbook.

TesTeq

Registered
I picked up the Audible version today also as one of my sons does better with auditory learning than reading. It comes with a nice PDF workbook.
I've already read the Kindle version and I am afraid that the audio version isn't the best choice. "GTD For Teens" is full of drawings and diagrams. Maybe a PDF workbook is a good solution...
The book introduces two characters: Myggy (a monkey) and Cortland (an owl) representing fast and slow parts of our brain.
And for us, experienced GTDers, there are some naming challenges:
- Horizons of Focus became Levels of Focus (though on the drawings the word "Horizons" has survived from extinction);
- lists are often described as "maps";
- there are no Next Action contexts, no WaitingFors and no Agendas!
So... Are you ready for a teenage revolution? @Jodie E. Francis @Longstreet @SherriLB

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
I have it but my wife has taken it to read first. Hmmm....maybe I should get another copy. :p

SherriLB

Registered
I've already read the Kindle version and I am afraid that the audio version isn't the best choice. "GTD For Teens" is full of drawings and diagrams. Maybe a PDF workbook is a good solution...
The book introduces two characters: Myggy (a monkey) and Cortland (an owl) representing fast and slow parts of our brain.
And for us, experienced GTDers, there are some naming challenges:
- Horizons of Focus became Levels of Focus (though on the drawings the word "Horizons" has survived from extinction);
- lists are often described as "maps";
- there are no Next Action contexts, no WaitingFors and no Agendas!
So... Are you ready for a teenage revolution? @Jodie E. Francis @Longstreet @SherriLB

I'm not sure how I feel about no Next Actions or Waiting Fors or Agendas...and the characters make me wonder if I should give my daughter the adult book instead. She may feel the teen book is too "young" for her. She is quite organized using her bullet journal. I would love, love, love for her to implement GTD prior to college. Schools (around me) seem incapable of teaching real-life skills, not to mention penmanship!

I showed her the video trailer for the book and we laughed at how similar it is to her experience as she has trouble sleeping at night due to anxiety.

What's your take @TesTeq? Appropriate for a high-achieving incoming HS senior or should I just get her the adult GTD book (mine is a beaten hot mess of paper at this point)? I won't hold you to it, just looking for your input.

TesTeq

Registered
I'm not sure how I feel about no Next Actions or Waiting Fors or Agendas...and the characters make me wonder if I should give my daughter the adult book instead. She may feel the teen book is too "young" for her. She is quite organized using her bullet journal. I would love, love, love for her to implement GTD prior to college. Schools (around me) seem incapable of teaching real-life skills, not to mention penmanship!

I showed her the video trailer for the book and we laughed at how similar it is to her experience as she has trouble sleeping at night due to anxiety.

What's your take @TesTeq? Appropriate for a high-achieving incoming HS senior or should I just get her the adult GTD book (mine is a beaten hot mess of paper at this point)? I won't hold you to it, just looking for your input.
Correction: No Next Action contexts. All Next Actions go to one action list.

Since there are no contexts, there are no @WaitingFor or @Mom, or @Dad lists. I think the @WaitingFor list is extremely useful when you work and play with other people.

Maybe we should ask @GTDmw why there are no contexts in #GTD4T.

Now some thoughts about your daughter:

I don't know your daughter. It's good that she uses Bullet Journal but if she has trouble sleeping there is some room for improvement. I think you should give her "GTD for Teens" and tell her that this book is for younger teenagers too, so she can skip the obvious parts. On the other hand the first 48 pages contain some advanced thoughts about human brain. She may like it or not (if not she can skip it too). She can also begin from the end ("Sources" chapter) where she can find the whole book in diagrams.

The strong and very useful points of this book are:
- description of the Natural Planning Model (the Planning Map);
- description of the importance of checklists.
These two topics may help your daughter reduce some stress.

PS. Myggy (a monkey) and Cortland (an owl) appear in the video trailer so if your daughter liked it there is no danger. ;-)