Best app for GTD

salilsurendran

Registered
I right now use Todoist for my GTD and it is quite difficult to getting it working the way I want it. Typically I would like to create a task and then create a list of sub-tasks under it and mark one of them as @next_action. Once I mark it done, I want the next one to automatically be marked as next_action. Are there any apps that does this? Another functionality that I would like is to group tasks by priority and be able to change it's priorities quickly

frodis20

Registered
I right now use Todoist for my GTD and it is quite difficult to getting it working the way I want it. Typically I would like to create a task and then create a list of sub-tasks under it and mark one of them as @next_action. Once I mark it done, I want the next one to automatically be marked as next_action. Are there any apps that does this? Another functionality that I would like is to group tasks by priority and be able to change it's priorities quickly

GTDnext will do this. However it is a "web app" and not an app on your phone. You would not have offline access.

mcogilvie

Registered

Um, knowing what platforms is crucial here. Omnifocus essentially do what you say you want, but right now it is Apple only, although a web version is planned.

I have to say, though, that you appear to be headed away from gtd best practices. Personally, I’ve found that both extensive planning of sequential actions and anything but a simple star to indicate priorities are drags on my system.

markjl

Registered
Try Trello. It uses kanban presentation rather than nesting (I used todoist for a long time).
Kanban I think is much clearer.
Sync is rapid and unfailing on all platforms.
Allows you to quickly mind-dump todos into the list .. item, return, item ..

Rose

Registered
I use OmniFocus, you can create a perspective (like a persistent search), which looks for the "first available" action for each project which is very useful.

enyonam

Registered
I use Asana for my company and it works that way. You can define a task as dependent on another one and it doesn't become 'active' until the dependent task has been completed. It's not great with context but you can set up a custom field if it's just you in the project.

Rostane

Registered
Try Trello. It uses kanban presentation rather than nesting (I used todoist for a long time).
Kanban I think is much clearer.
Sync is rapid and unfailing on all platforms.
Allows you to quickly mind-dump todos into the list .. item, return, item ..
I agree on the Kanban methodology, it does a great job !
I guess Trello was one of the firsts to implement it

mcogilvie

Registered
Does no one use Toodledo?

I used to, but at one time development effort was going into outlines, habit tracking and other things that were not integrated into Toodledo’s core functionality. I left for Omnifocus, and more recently moved to Things 3. I understand Toodledo is under new management; it still seems like a viable option.

Adam23010

Registered
I will shill TickTick until I'm dead. Very similar to ToDoist, but I prefer the UI. Has built in pomodoro timer and soon will include a habit tracker.

Don't you find the Start Date / End Date thing in TickTick annoying? I'd like to be able to schedule tasks, but as far as I can tell TickTick handles this only by allowing you to define a duration with a Start Date AND an End Date (not just a start date).

ERJ1

Jedi Master
Don't you find the Start Date / End Date thing in TickTick annoying? I'd like to be able to schedule tasks, but as far as I can tell TickTick handles this only by allowing you to define a duration with a Start Date AND an End Date (not just a start date).
Ha! I actually gave up on TickTick and switched to Todoist. Not because of that, but because I wanted better Calendar integration.

And I'm not sure I follow what your issue there is - I never had any issues with scheduling tasks in TickTick... what are you trying to do exactly?

Adam23010

Registered
I'm simply trying to schedule a task so I don't have to worry about it until the future. For example, I want to get my car serviced 6 months from now. TickTick allows you to set a start date on a task, which is great, except that it requires an end date too. For this example, getting my car serviced doesn't really have an end date. It's not a duration, it simply should start in the future.

Todoist has the same problem. From what I can tell, most people using Todoist in a GTD mode use the "due date" as the start date. This loses out on tasks that have real due dates though. For example, my passport expires in March of next year. I'd like to create a task that has a due date of 2 weeks or so prior to expiration, but I don't want to have to worry about it until 3 months before the due date.

Nirvana, FacileThings, and Things 3, and probably some others I'm missing, all allow one to schedule tasks like this fairly easily. How do you capture these two examples with Todoist and TickTick?