Strange problem: GTD negatively impacts my free time

Oogiem

Registered
I really do not like to think of any kind of play as "work". I think that can create a bad mindset. Let's keep this separate.
Why?

Work and play are meaningless terms given the current nature of how humans live. Work should be fun and play can be hard. So what's the real difference? You need time to do important things that take detailed planning and you need time to do impromptu things that just occur. Both types of things can be traditionally classified as "work" or "play". Even things that might seem just recreational can be income gnerating so the lines bl;ur.

I think it's far better to acept the complex nature and find ways to enjoy my work and get through the hard parts of playing.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Why?

Work and play are meaningless terms given the current nature of how humans live. Work should be fun and play can be hard. So what's the real difference? You need time to do important things that take detailed planning and you need time to do impromptu things that just occur. Both types of things can be traditionally classified as "work" or "play". Even things that might seem just recreational can be income gnerating so the lines bl;ur.

I think it's far better to acept the complex nature and find ways to enjoy my work and get through the hard parts of playing.
You make good points as always. I like your viewpoint. Cheers! :D

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
I have to schedule and plan a lot of my fun these days, e.g. hikes, book club, poker, theater, family reunions, thanksgiving, winter break. I have contingency plans for activities with grandkids depending on weather, nap times and other factors. So my fun looks like work from a gtd point of view.

Come to think of it, my professional life depends on play, in the sense of unscheduled time to ponder, to be curious, to explore. So is my fun work, and my work play? Thank goodness for Areas of Focus to keep it all straight!
Excellent points! Me too -- thank goodness fo Areas of Focus to keep our feet on the ground! :D

adlafcam

Registered
When my mind is in "free mode", I feel a very strange urge to peek into my "Can Do" and "Can Do Someday" lists and get something done.
I like your attitude. You are a doing-person. I like you a lot @karrenbauer2018.

And if your horizons reflect you, finally clearly explain the reason why you are in this world, then go on like this. Time on earth is damn short. Maybe the short period of time we have here is pushing you to do something now. That's just a hunch. And you are right on my street (and far beyond).

rmjb

Registered
I'm young in the GTD game, having started only 1 year ago, and I'm reading through David's book for the 2nd time now. However, one of the many benefits of GTD that is mentioned a few times in the book and in podcasts is that GTD is also supposed to let you be comfortable about what you are not doing.
It seems that even though you've been with GTD for a number of years, this benefit has not been realised. Perhaps you should reread the book or listen to a few podcasts to see if you can truly internalise this benefit and let go some times.

Maximilian

Registered
GTD has lead to a behaviour where I tend to focus too much on just ticking off todos. It feels difficult for me to spend quality leisure time that is not controlled by my GTD system.

When my mind is in "free mode", I feel a very strange urge to peek into my "Can Do" and "Can Do Someday" lists and get something done.

-> Do you somehow discipline yourself not to peak into your GTD system in your free time?
-> Do you incorporate leisure tasks (e.g. playing with kids) into your system (feels very awkward to me, also I don't want to plan these activities)?

Example:
I start weekends by ticking off some routine todos. When I'm finished, instead of just relaxing and spending time with my kids, I feel an urge to "get something done". I think, this is because it just feels more productive to tick off todos and it also creates a hormonal boost by ticking something off (similar to achieving something in a video game).
Hi,

in his book "Getting things done" David Allen mentioned the different contexts, like "Computer", "at Home" etc.
One context is the "Reading" context. (I don't know the exact expression in English, because I only read the German version.)
The context "Reading" is in contrast to the most other context names not a list, but it's a really physical basket, where you put all your reading materials. He writes,, so you don't need an extra paper list.

In the same place he also wrote, that it would be just an overload, if you would write on an extra context list "read the magazine vogue", if you already have the magazine "vogue" in your "Reading"-basket. The "Reading" basket itself reminds you already to read the magazine, because that basket itself represents already the list. So you don't have to write it on a separate list.

I think in a similar way you could also handle your leisure tasks. If you have a shelf with DVD's, then you don't have to put "watch DVD x" on a separate list, because the DVD shelf itself represents the context: the whole shelf is a physical context list.
The same thing with your children. You see your children, so you don't have to put them on a separate list.

If you plan some specific projects, e.g. "organize DVD shelf alphabetically" or "going to Disneyland with children", it makes sense to put it on the project list (or at least on the Sometimes/Maybe-List).

I hope that helps.

cfoley

Registered
-> Do you somehow discipline yourself not to peak into your GTD system in your free time?
I frequently check my lists when I am trying to relax. A quick look satisfies me that there is nothing so urgent that I can't chill out for a bit.

-> Do you incorporate leisure tasks (e.g. playing with kids) into your system (feels very awkward to me, also I don't want to plan these activities)?
If I need the reminder then yes. Often the universe reminds me at an appropriate time, in which case there is no need to put it on a list.

Example:
I start weekends by ticking off some routine todos. When I'm finished, instead of just relaxing and spending time with my kids, I feel an urge to "get something done". I think, this is because it just feels more productive to tick off todos and it also creates a hormonal boost by ticking something off (similar to achieving something in a video game).
Here is something that I have tried that might help. Make a list of all your areas of focus. Each morning, before anything else, reflect on the previous day and write down for each area of focus:
  • How you feel about the previous day's engagement with that area of focus: "Good" or "Bad".
  • The reason it was either good or bad.
I find that this reflection helps me to act in congruence with my values. Maybe you will find the same.