Notepad refills for GTD Notetaker Wallet

Josh Mitchell

Registered
For those looking for a David Allen Co Notetaker wallet alternative -- I purchased the Retro 51 Traveler Leather Set TRV-01 Black on Amazon for $38 and have been loving it.

It fits the USA Pad #24BW that John mentioned perfectly.

The pen is nice but falls out sometimes - still - if you are in the market for a notetaker wallet - this one is pretty great!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J8CGNX4/ref=twister_B078CQFLQK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 (not an affiliate link!)

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Do you have any direction on where to find or create replacements for the A5 pad that was glued along the side and was made for the leather memo pad?
So far I have not seen a pad like that, with the glue on the side. We had them custom made in quantity (heavier paper, with printing on it), so unfortunately our source isn't practical for individuals.

Sam Love

Registered
Hey, so curious thing. I decided to use my notetaker wallet again. (Been using Bellroy's for a little while) and found some notepads that fit pretty well. I like the paper a lot better. They are a little thicker but overall do the trick. Here's the link:

They are more costly on Amazon, but I'm sure there are cheaper ways to get them. I have a local stationary store that brings them in for about 4$ a pad. You want Maruman Number N161 for the size that fits. It’s a little thinner but it makes up for the thicker pad size.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00TZHM0RK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ABY56ZV6Q3JE8&th=1
3.66" x 1.97" (Modified A8)

I may know a guy who can produce these things to spec like David Allen had made. Same leathershop as Saddleback Leather. I spoke with him a few times. hit me up if it’s of interest and we'll create a team to get these wallets remade, then cut everyone in on profits, pay whatever we need to pay for designs, templates, prototypes, etc. We already know there's a market.

I do need. good pen to replace the rotring... Any suggestions? I'm using a spacepen at the moment.

email me (Sam) info@paradoxconsulting.international
And David let me know when you're in Vancouver, or breaking any forum policies with the above post. Thanks everyone!

I'm not ready to give up using my GTD Notetaker Wallet. Unfortunately, now that David Allen Company has discontinued the sale of its physical products I need to find an alternative for the notepad refills. The problem is that nothing I've found so far is the right size. The notepads are 2 1/4" by 4 3/8", and all the mini notepads I've found so far are 3" x 5" at the smallest. Does anyone know of where I can find alternative notepads in the right size? Thanks.

Oogiem

Registered
I may know a guy who can produce these things to spec like David Allen had made. Same leathershop as Saddleback Leather. I spoke with him a few times. hit me up if it’s of interest and we'll create a team to get these wallets remade, then cut everyone in on profits, pay whatever we need to pay for designs, templates, prototypes, etc. We already know there's a market.
I decided to go another route and made a larger wallet that takes standard 3x5 inch pads either top bound or side bound. It can be sewn out of fabrics. A space pen fits in the inside holder. This was the prototype.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XRGyMsVRvPwp2EIdIpe2XV4xOm36tcku

The next version will have a clear plastic window for the drivers license or ID area.

I've been using my prototype for almost a yer. it's thin due to how the credit cards are stored and works well and the pad refills are cheap.

PS it also can hold larger size currency than just US dollars.

Sam Love

Registered
Wow, that's really cool I have to say. It's a little bigger but the refits are accessible everywhere. It's nice having a single pad for everything. You could probably fit a phone in there too.

Oogiem

Registered
It's a little bigger but the refits are accessible everywhere.
Bigger in dimensions but thinner even with a lot more cards in it. For me thinner and standard pads was more important than absolute size. I use a trekker space pen in it but it's sized so even a normal standard pen will fit.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I decided to go another route and made a larger wallet that takes standard 3x5 inch pads either top bound or side bound. It can be sewn out of fabrics. A space pen fits in the inside holder.
You made a wallet? How impressive!

When I was around 13 I made a Stratego board game. I sawed up scrap lumber to make the pieces. They were uneven and ugly. Your wallet is the opposite -- elegant, functional, and finely detailed. I imagine it's a conversation starter as well.

(I recently played an online version of Stratego. One opponent got mad that I was winning, swore at me and called me a newbie. I replied that he was misspelling a certain versatile four-letter word that I've known since before I played Stratego. Let's just say that was well before Y2K, which may be before he was born.)

Oogiem

Registered
You made a wallet? How impressive!
No Actually I made an engineering model, in paper and with removable scotch tape as the hinges and sewing lines as pen markings and handed the completed item to a skilled seamstress. She took my model and figured out a way to cut the fabric so it could be sewn on a standard sewing machine easily with all the wrong sides of the fabric inside and still work. 2 different skills. We are collaborating on rev 2 of the wallet incorporating some changes I think would improve it. I hope to have prototype number 2 by Christmas. Ultimate goal (when the project will be completed) is to publish the dimensions and suggested fabric choices plus a downloadable pattern for the fabric pieces on-line so others can make their own. We plan ti use an open source format.

Josh Mitchell

Registered
This brings a lot of joy to me! I am super interested!

Gregory Dobson

Registered
This is so sad, I am still making do with my GTD trifold, but it is definitely showing its age. If I would have known they were going to stop being made I would have purchased 10 more just to keep on hand. On a side note, I have found various pens that work great with the wallet, most recently the Big Idea Designs mini click pen. I second the USA pads site, I have been using them throughout the years.

mcogilvie

Registered
My use of paper has gone steadily down over time, but I occasionally carry the smallest size Moleskine. These Volant journals are small, 2.5“ x 4.25” and fit easily in a normal-size shirt pocket. All pages are detachable. They are very handy for travel, and meet my needs.

Ger80C

Registered
In case someone is still interested: Morten Rovik, GTD's "Man in the Nordics", the local Master Trainer, has re-launched the wallet. I purchased one on the GTD summit and just love it! It should be available online too, search for capture wallet, I do not have the URL at hand.

Ger80C

Registered
Yes, that's it. And I can highly recommend it. @MortenRovik did a great job sourcing a new supplier and creating a very good product. The Zebra pens that ship with it are nice, too!

Nick D

Registered
I'm not ready to give up using my GTD Notetaker Wallet. Unfortunately, now that David Allen Company has discontinued the sale of its physical products I need to find an alternative for the notepad refills. The problem is that nothing I've found so far is the right size. The notepads are 2 1/4" by 4 3/8", and all the mini notepads I've found so far are 3" x 5" at the smallest. Does anyone know of where I can find alternative notepads in the right size? Thanks.
Buy a bigger notebook and guillotine it to size. That's what I did. I then found a company that makes notebooks (with a spiral on top but that is fine) and had them make me 100 to order. I will never run out of notebooks.

franksj1

Registered
The vendor we ordered from in the last few years is USA Custom Pad. They also sell direct to consumers. Here is a link to their page that has various pads.
https://usapad.com/memo-pad-refills.html

We stocked item #24BW that you'll see about halfway down that page. They also have ivory in that size, as well as lined white or ivory.
Thanks John. I order a bunch and just came in. Exactly right right fit...

Eric Wayte

Registered
I believe that the GTD Nordic Capture Wallet has been discontinued. I recall hearing that on the GTD Nordic podcast, episode 76 (Tools Check).