Agendas in Alternate Setup Method for Todoist

DanJosef

Registered
The GTD setup guide for Todoist lists and alternate setup method on page 21 where (in summary) you list all projects in "Projects" and then use "Labels" for setting the context.

I like this method because it allows you to separate "Next Actions" from "Future Actions" based on the presence or absence of a Context.

My question: Under this setup, how would the "Agendas" context be used? It's included in the screenshot for the method, but I'm not sure it would work. I could apply the agendas context to tasks in the project list, but there wouldn't be any way to see which agenda tasks apply to which people.

mcogilvie

Registered
How do you know who is associated with an agenda item on a paper agendas list? You put their name on the entry. With Todoist, you can also have tags for each person who appears frequently: spouse, boss, flunky, bartender.

DanJosef

Registered
Ah, so the Agendas label just becomes a flat list of agenda items across all people? Seems hard to manage if you have 10s or 100s of agenda topics.

mcogilvie

Registered
Ah, so the Agendas label just becomes a flat list of agenda items across all people? Seems hard to manage if you have 10s or 100s of agenda topics.

A single Agendas list works for many people. Many others break out lists for spouse and boss. If you are using a tool with a tag hierarchy, you can easily have a list of tags for people. If you are using a tool that can sort by title, you can put a name as the first word in the title (which I often do anyway). But if you really have 100’s of agenda items, you probably need to think carefully about your system and practices.

RS356

Registered
I have one agenda list per person I directly manage, one for my boss, agendas for recurring meetings, and for my spouse. Ultimately, it amounts to 10-12 separate agenda lists and 30-50 total items to discuss. I’ve used this setup for years and it works really well for me.

ERJ1

Jedi Master
I create a project list in Todoist called Agendas and then have project lists below that for individual agenda lists.

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
I create a project list in Todoist called Agendas and then have project lists below that for individual agenda lists.

Similar to @ERJ1 above I use a project list titled "agendas." however rather than "sub-projects" I use the sections feature to list individuals or meetings inside the project.

upload_2019-11-27_14-41-4.png