Forum software upgrade

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Yes, we are working on the add-on that will prevent almost all spam. I will post here as soon as it's in place, so that you will know that clicking on "New posts" won't show you spam.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I just deleted a dozen or so spam threads. We should have the add-on to moderate new users in place this afternoon.

And I didn't interpret anyone's comments as impatient. You all care about the forum content, and it's a hassle to sift through spam threads.

(I don't know where we're all going to shop for counterfeit money and embalming supplies from now on.)

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I'm happy to report that the new add-on is installed and working well. I just tested by creating a forum account and attempting to post a thread. The thread is not visible to all of you wonderful GTD enthusiasts, because it was correctly held for moderation.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Guess what you didn't see this morning? Right you are! Spam. There were several spam threads attempted, but they were not shown because the new user was trapped in moderation. It's a happy day.
You rock, John! Thanks for your dedication to making this Forum a wonderful place!

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hi Longstreet, yes, I was tinkering with the filter settings and left things open for about 5 minutes. I've deleted those threads and banned the spammer who happened to be active at that time.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Hi Longstreet, yes, I was tinkering with the filter settings and left things open for about 5 minutes. I've deleted those threads and banned the spammer who happened to be active at that time.
Wonderful -- thanks, John! Wow...a 5 minute window and spam appears. o_O

sholden

Registered
Thanks John! I know it is hard work and anything on the Internet is getting constantly pounded on. If you need help moderating then please let me know.

Ger80C

Registered
John, thank you for your efforts in keeping this a great place for GTD discussions. This is very much appreciated!