A reminder RIGHT when you need it!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss the GTD Methodology' started by B B, Oct 3, 2019.

1. B B

B B Registered

Hello all! Me again :)

1-Let’s say I have a doctor appointment. And for example I know that while I’m at the clinic I would like to take advantage to schedule a few other appointments at the front desk. How do I remember at that exact time WHILE I’m at the clinic, to stop by the front desk and to plan enough time to ask.

Or another example (all of these are real examples haha)

2-What if I’m in bed and tomorrow I have to go to immigrations office and I want to remember to look for my ID the next morning ... I would put that in a tickler?

3- What if I have to PHYSICALLY take something with me right before I leave the house for a meeting (let’s say, brochures). Where can I set a reminder for just before u leave to do that?

I know these three scenarios are a tad different.

Thanks!!

2. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

At a minimum, I would put all three on my calendar:
    1. If I have an appt. with the doctor at 10, the entry becomes “10: Appt. with doctor & schedule future visits”
    2. If I have an appt. at 11, I schedule “check for id” at 10, or whatever time seems safe.
    3. If I have a 2 pm appt., and it takes 20 minutes to get there, then at 1:30 I have “Leave for appt. Don’t forget brochures!”

Some smartphones can remind you of things when leaving or arriving at a place. I don’t think it’s a foolproof technology, but it can be useful.

Cpu_Modern, TesTeq and Jared Caron like this.
  3. AnneMKE

AnneMKE Registered

I’d use:
    1. Location-based phone reminder
    2. Time-based phone reminder
    3. Brochures in front of the door or, better, in the car.

Whatever works!

4. Jared Caron

Jared Caron Registered

Nurse Educator; Minister; Musician
    Home Page:

Agreed. I would use the calendar, but remember to treat it just like a next actions list. Be specific, think of it as Writing yourself instructions of what to do at that time.

5. alteredbeast

alteredbeast Registered

This is what I suggest, too.

For appointments I usually create a separate actions for prep, such as 'Find ID' and put it on my calendar the day before the appointment.

For tasks I need to do at the doctors for instance, I usually copy this onto a piece of paper along with questions for the doctor and carry it with me.

Anything I need to physically take is placed next to the door, so it's not forgotten. That is unless my children decide to move it, which is another topic altogether.

AnneMKE likes this.
  6. KW7

KW7 Registered

For situations like this, I enter the name of the event in my calendar and also the phrase "(NOTES)" after it. This tells me that I need to examine the notes portion of the calendar reminder for important info such as take ID, allow time to schedule new appointments, print materials for meeting, etc. For such situations, I may set the reminder for 2 hours before the appointment knowing that it will only take 30-45 minutes to travel but I want additional time to gather the materials. For business related appointments, I frequently schedule a reminder the day before to prepare and print materials but the actual appointment reminder reminds me to take the printed info I created previously.

AnneMKE likes this.